1963 - 1982 Corvette: Chevrolet Service News: Rear Spring Removal Service Update
This service update should apply to 1963 through 1968 Corvettes as well as Corvettes built in the 1970’s and early 1980’s prior to the 1984 Corvette.
Subject: Rear Spring Removal
Model and Year: 1968 Corvette
Source: Chevrolet Service News
Page Number: NA
Date: August 1968
Revise the procedure appearing on page 4-20 of the 1968 Passenger Car Chassis Service Manual covering Corvette Rear Spring Removal as follows:
Removal (Reference Fig. 6)
1. Raise rear of vehicle at frame.
2. Install "C" clamp on spring approximately 9" from one end. Tighten securely.
3. Place floor jack under spring with lifting pad of jack inboard of link bolt near the "C" clamp. Place a suitable piece of wood between jack pad and "C" clamp screw. NOTE - The "C" clamp is merely acting as a ’stop’ so that the jack won’t slip when the spring is released. The wood block is used to protect the "C" clamp threads from being distorted due to contact with the jack pad.
4. Raise jack until all load is off link. Remove link cotter key and link nut. Remove cushion.
5. Carefully lower jack until spring tension is released.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 for other side.
7. Remove four bolts and washers securing spring center clamp plate (reference Fig. 51 in Manual).
8. Drop spring and slide out from under vehicle (reference Fig. 51 in Manual).
9. To install, reverse Removal steps 1-8.