2006 - 2009 Corvette Z06 and ZR1: GM TechLink Article: Oil Reservoir Rattle
Some owners of a 2006-09 Corvette Z06 or a 2009 Corvette ZR1 with 6.2L or 7.0L Engine (VINs R, E -- RPOs LS9, LS7) may comment on a rattle or tapping type noise that is heard under the hood just above idle, usually 1200 to 2200 RPM. In some cases, this noise may also be heard on the inside of the vehicle and be more pronounced on the passenger side.
This noise may be caused by the internal transfer tube in the engine oil tank hitting the inside of the tank cover (fig. 15) . The seal (O-ring) that secures the tube in place may split and slide down the tube, allowing the tube to be loose.
A Seal (O-ring)
Diagnose the noise by raising the vehicle on a hoist and holding the throttle at about 1500 RPM to duplicate the condition. Place a stethoscope or Chassis Ears on the side of the engine oil tank. If the noise is detected, perform the procedure outlined below. If the noise is not detected, continue following published diagnostics in SI.
1. Remove the engine oil tank from the vehicle. Refer to the Oil Tank Replacement procedure in SI.
2. Remove the eight bolts that secure the tank top.
3. Separate the tank. Check the seal (o-ring) for proper position and damage. Replace the seal (O-ring) if damaged with p/n 24576940.
4. Reinstall the tank top and secure with the eight bolts.
5. Install the engine oil tank into the vehicle. Refer to the Oil Tank Replacement procedure in SI.
- Thanks to Jamie Parkhurst
November 2008 - GM TechLink