Procedure for Replacing the Reveal Moldings Over Side Windows on a 2001 - 2004 Corvette Z06
by Ken Ribers
The parts being replaced are 10331562 passenger side and 10331563 drivers side.
Materials needed: (purchased from firstname.lastname@example.org)
3M Adhesive Remover 08984
3M Calk 08578
3M Weatherstrip Adhesive 08011.
Disposable plastic gloves
1. REMOVAL OF WEATHERSTRIP
2. Remove 2 push in fasteners securing the forward end of the weatherstrip to the reveal molding and the hinge pillar. Carefully push / pull plastic fastener (1) from hinge pillar. Carefully remove weatherstrip from the upper rear corner of the window. Use a plastic putty knife to assist with this.
3. Remove the nine #2 Phillips screws that hold the weatherstrip retainer.
4. Carefully clean with 3M adhesive remover 08984 and remove dimples from metal retainer. Use a 3/8 drive extension mounted in a vise to set part on. Then carefully hammer to flatten part.
5. Remove the blow out clip.
6. Clean the mounting surfaces with 3M adhesive remover. Do not use adhesive remover on blow out clip for it will discolor the rubberized plastic coating.
7. Remove the seven #2 Phillips screws that hold the plastic reveal molding.
8. Remove the side reveal molding.
9. Clean the mounting surface with 3M adhesive remover.
10. INSTALLATION OF PLASTIC REVEAL MOLDING
11. Refrigerate 3M calk so it is easier to handle. If it is above 70 F it is too sticky to handle and position.
12. Apply one strip of 3M calk to the outside of the mounting holes where the original foam seal was placed. This strip should be approximately 1/8 inch in diameter. It needs to be slightly larger than the foam thickness. Apply along the full length of the part.
13. Apply an additional 4 inch long bead of 3M calk across the seam where the roof and windshield header meet.
14. Install the reward end of the side reveal molding over the lock pillar upper molding.
15. Align the appliqué to the slot (2) in the filler panel (1).
16. Loosely install the side reveal molding screws. Wrap 3M calk around each screw to create a waterproof seal.
17. Tighten the screws to 22 lb inch in sequence (1-6), starting in the center as illustrated.
18. INSTALLATION OF WEATHERSTRIP RETAINER
19. Apply a 1/8 diameter bead of 3M calk to the blow out clip.
20. Apply a 1/8 diameter bead of sealer (1) to the area where the clip will contact the reveal molding.
21. Apply a continuous bead of 3M calk (5) to the appliqué and the reveal molding outboard of the two screw holes where the retainer bends.
22. Apply a 1/8 diameter bead of 3M calk outboard of the mounting holes over the full length of the metal retainer versus double back tape. This calk should be approximately 1/8 inch in diameter.
23. Tighten the side retainer to applique and windshield screws to 22 lb inch.
24. Tighten the side retainer to roof screws (3) to 12 lb inch.
25. INSTALLATION OF WEATHERSTRIP
26. Apply a 2 inch bead of 3M black Weatherstrip Adhesive 08011 (1) to the upper rear corner of the door opening as needed to provide a good seal.
27. Apply three parallel 2 inch long beads of sealant (1) to the forward end of the door opening weather strip retainer and to the rear edge of the reveal molding.
28. Add weatherstrip adhesive wherever there was double back tape on weatherstrip.
29. Start by inserting the weatherstrip into the weatherstrip retainer at the rear upper corner. Insert the upper / outer edge of the weatherstrip first.
30. Install the push-in retainer (1) securing the weatherstrip to the hinge pillar reveal molding.
31. Install the push-in retainers (2) securing the weatherstrip to the hinge pillar.
32. Close the door with the window up to hold the weatherstrip in place while adhesive cures.