1997 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Hatch Will Not Pop Up When Activated in Cold Weather
Subject: Hatch Will Not Pop Up When Activated in Cold Weather
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Models: 1997 Chevrolet Corvette
Some owners may comment that the hatch will not pop up when activated in cold weather.
Condition may be due to insufficient spring tension.
Correction: Replace pop up spring, P/N 16637696, following the procedure below.
Use proper eye protection.
- With hacth open, remove covers over latch assemblies.
- Using a pair of pliers, drive the retaining pin forward, this will push the retaining pin off the Tinnerman nut (see Figure 1).
- Take the pliers and drive the retaining pin in the other direction so that the Tinnerman nut can be removed (see Figure 2).
- With the pin removed from the spring carrier, remove the carrier form the latch and use a screw driver to remove the pop up spring from the carrier.
- Install a new spring in carrier and reinstall carrier to latch.
- Reinstall retaining pin, Tinnerman nut and latch covers.
Parts are currently available from GMSPO
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation Number: B5500 Labor Operation Time: 0.3 HR
COPYRIGHT 1997 GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED