1997 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Hatch Will Not Pop Up When Activated in Cold Weather
Subject: Hatch Will Not Pop Up When Activated in Cold Weather
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Models: 1997 Chevrolet Corvette
Some owners may comment that the hatch will not pop up when activated in cold weather.
Condition may be due to insufficient spring tension.
Correction: Replace pop up spring, P/N 16637696, following the procedure below.
Use proper eye protection.
- With hacth open, remove covers over latch assemblies.
- Using a pair of pliers, drive the retaining pin forward, this will push the retaining pin off the Tinnerman nut (see Figure 1).
- Take the pliers and drive the retaining pin in the other direction so that the Tinnerman nut can be removed (see Figure 2).
- With the pin removed from the spring carrier, remove the carrier form the latch and use a screw driver to remove the pop up spring from the carrier.
- Install a new spring in carrier and reinstall carrier to latch.
- Reinstall retaining pin, Tinnerman nut and latch covers.
Parts are currently available from GMSPO
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation Number: B5500 Labor Operation Time: 0.3 HR
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
COPYRIGHT 1997 GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Article ID: 465
Created: July 24, 2014
Last Updated: July 24, 2014
Online URL: https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/1997-corvette-service-bulletin-hatch-will-not-pop-up-when-activated-in-cold-weather-465.html