1977 - 1980 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Refinishing Exterior Black Painted Moldings
Model Year: 1977-1980
Subject: Refinishing of Exterior Black Painted Aluminum Moldings - All Affected Styles - 1977 - 80
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Service Technical Bulletin
Number: 80-T-73, Section I
Date: January, 1981
To: All Chevrolet Dealers
Should it become necessary to refinish the exterior black painted aluminum moldings, used on some style vehicles, because of a chipped or peeling condition, the following steps may be used to aid in the service refinish operation:
- Remove the affected molding(s). refer to the Fisher Body Service Manual.
- Strip all remaining color from molding(s) using Ditzler’s DX-586.
- Clean with wax and grease removing solvent, Ditzler’s DX-440.
- Sand molding(s) with 400 wet or dry sandpaper. Reclean.
- Prime with Ditzler’s Epoxy Chromate Primer DP 40/401.
NOTE: If any part of molding has oxidized or stained, it should be cleaned with Ditzler’s DX-533 Alumiprep before priming.
- Sand prime coat with 400 wet or dry sandpaper. Reclean.
- Topcoat with flat black acrylic lacquer.
- Install refinished molding(s) on vehicle.
When using any of the above listed materials, follow the manufacturer’s label directions for application procedures and/or drying time.
Labor Time: .5 Hours (includes paint material time)
Paint Material Units: GB
Labor Operation Number: T1046
Chevrolet Motor Division
General Motors Corporation
General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.