1989 - 1990 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Convertible Stowage Lid Not Flush With Rear Deck
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Service Bulletin
Number: 90-183-10 - (02/20/1990)
Subject: STOWAGE LID NOT FLUSH W/REAR DECK-PROCEDURE & STEEL RIVETS
Model Year: 1989-90 Y Car Convertible
Some 1989 and early 1990 Chevrolet Corvette Convertibles may exhibit a height difference between the stowage compartment lid and the rear deck. This condition may be caused by a lack of adhesive between the steel inner reinforcement and the stowage compartment lid inner panel.
- Remove the stowage lid as outlined in the Service Manual.
- Drill 8 (eight) equally spaced 1/8 inch holes through the vertical surface (See Figure 1) of the stowage lid inner panel and the reinforcement.
IMPORTANT: Use a Drill Stop Set at a Depth of 1 inch when drilling these holes in order to prevent damage to the compartment lid.
- Install 1/8 inch diameter X 1/4 inch long STEEL rivets in the holes.
IMPORTANT: Do not use aluminum rivets as they will not provide the strength necessary to keep the lid from bowing.
- Coat the rivet heads with touch-up paint to prevent rust.
- Replace stowage lid as outlined in the Service Manual.
Labor Operation Number: T1580
Labor Time: .4 Hour Convertible
Labor Operation Number: T1581
Labor Time: 1.0 Hour Hardtop Convertible