This press release from the GM Media Archives takes a look at the wheel and tire options for the 1996 Corvette.
Note: All information and pictures on this page are courtesy of GM Media Archives. Rev. 09/25/1995
Grand Sport Models
- Aluminum five-spoke 17"-
diameter black wheels with
Grand Sport emblems
- Coupe and Z51: P275/40ZR-17 (front) and P315/35ZR-17 (rear) tires. 9.5" front and 11" rear wheels.
- Convertible: P255/45ZR-17 (front) and P285/40ZR-17 (rear) tires. 8.5" front and 9.5" rear wheels.
Collector Edition models
- Aluminum five-spoke 17"-
diameter wheels painted silver with Collector Edition emblems
- P255/45ZR-17 (front) and
P285/40ZR-17 (rear) tires. 8.5" front and 9.5" rear wheels.
Corvette Coupe and Convertible
- Standard P255/45ZR-17 (front), P285/40ZR-17 (rear) Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires and 17" x 8.5" (front) and 17" x 9.5" (rear) aluminum wheels.
- Corvette Coupe with Z51 Performance Handling Package have P275/40ZR-17 Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires and 9.5" wheels front and rear.
Goodyear GS-C Tires
Introduced as a Corvette exclusive in 1992, the Goodyear Eagle GS-C tire has a steel-belted, polyester- cord body with a unique spiral overlay. This design reduces heat buildup at high speeds and improves ride quality without inhibiting high-speed handling. The tread pattern is directional and asymmetrical.
Extended Mobility Tires (EMT)*
- The directional groove design disperses water effectively
- The asymmetrical tread pattern increases the contact area on the outer portion of the tread and reduces road noise.
Introduced on Corvette in 1994, optional Goodyear Eagle GS-C Extended Mobility Tires (EMT) were the first run-flat tires to be fitted on conventional wheels. EMT virtually eliminates the inconvenience of a flat tire.
- Reinforced sidewalls and special materials enable EMT tires to withstand the stress of running without air pressure
- The ride, handling, and lateral stability of an EMT tire is so impressive without air that a driver may not perceive the loss of air pressure
- The spare tire can be deleted for a credit on models equipped with EMT tires.
The low-tire-pressure-warning system (optional on Corvette Coupe and Convertible) monitors air pressure in each tire continuously while the vehicle is being
- Wheel modules are installed inside each tire
- When tire pressure drops below 25 psi, the module transmits a signal to a radio receiver located in the instrument panel
- The receiver illuminates a telltale on the instrument panel to alert the driver to check tire pressure.
- This feature is designed to enhance safety and fuel economy.
*Available only with standard front and rear tires.
Requires available Low-Tire-Pressure Warning System.