This is a Mecum Auction listing for a very special 1962 Corvette Styling Car that is commonly believed to have been prepared for the 1962 Chicago Auto Show or a styling exercise to produce the 50th Anniversary Chevrolets with Gold paint and Tan interior:
Lot R461 // Indianapolis 2016 // May 17-21, 2016
- VIN 20867S102732
- 1962 Corvette GM Styling Show Car
- GM Styling S.O. 10224 completed January 16, 1962
- Special GM Styling shop order tag
- Commonly believed to be prepared for the 1962 Chicago Auto Show or a styling exercise to produce the 50th Anniversary Chevrolets with Gold paint and Tan interior
- Many components are labeled 10224
- Gold anodized grille
- Matching numbers 327/300 HP V-8 engine
- 4-speed manual transmission
- 3.36 Postraction rear end
- Special Firemist Gold paint and Tan leather interior
- A forensic inspection prior to restoration revealed Firemist Gold paint and evidence of a Tan or Gold interior
- New paint, interior and top in 2010
- Displayed in the Styling Car Showcase at Amelia Island in 2012
- Part of the Class of 1962 Display at MCACN in 2012
- Invited to the Ault Park Concours d'Elegance in 2012 and 2013
- Invited to the Eye on Design Automobile Design Exposition at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Estate in 2011
Below is additional information from ProTeam Corvette regarding this special Corvette:
1962 Corvette Convertible, GM Styling Show Car, 327-300 hp, 4 speed, numbers match. Special Firemist Anniversary Gold paint with custom Tan leather interior and a Beige (Tan) soft top all new in 2010.
A forensic inspection prior to recent new paint, interior, and top revealed old Gold Firemist paint and evidence of a Tan or Gold interior, as we believe this car was prepared for the Chicago Auto Show or a styling exercise to produce a 50th Anniversary Chevrolet for Chevrolet's 50th Anniversary in 1962. GM Styling Shop Order S.O.10224 completed January 16th, 1962.
Many of the car's components have the shop order #10224 on them and the grill is gold plated. The car also has the special styling shop order tag mounted on the firewall.
Optioned with leather, 3.36 posi, Wonderbar radio, sunvisors, windshield washers, courtesy light, heater, hubcaps, and white stripe tires. Most all factory correct type components including the trunk mat, trunk liner, rebound straps, spiral shocks, washer system, shifter, air cleaner, generator, owners manual, sales brochure, and two T-3 headlights.
Invited to participate in the June 2014 and June 2013 35th and 36th Annual Ault Park Concours d'Elegance and the 17th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance on March 11th, 2012 for the Styling Car Showcase and was also invited to the Eye on Design Automobile Design Exposition at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford estate on June 19th, 2011 and the "Class of '62" Invitational display at the Corvette Nationals show on November 17th and 18th, 2012. The expenses involved in obtaining these awards could surely exceed $20,000.00.