Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

View Poll Results: Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

Voters
1113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

77 6.92%
  • No

1,004 90.21%
  • Undecided

32 2.88%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Rob
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 (Canadian) Bright Red / Black

Default Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

In February 2006, Motor Trend published a short article about the Corvette Sting Ray coming back as a V6 powered version of the Kappa platform.

They wrote:

GM is seriously considering building a V-6 version of its Kappa sports car (aka Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky). But the scuttlebutt around Motown is that this version would get an all-new body, a Chevy badge, and one of the most iconic names in the GM sports-car pantheon--Sting Ray. It would be positioned as a muscular, entry-level Chevy sports car priced under the current Corvette range, but above the higher-end Pontiac and Saturn models. Given the enduring success of the Corvette, the Sting Ray plan seems plausible--and profitable.
    Full Article: http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...ray/index.html

The rumors are once again getting much stronger!

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953?
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Corvette(s)
    92 coupe quasar blue

Undecided!!! now if they turbocharge the engine that might be interesting!

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

Default The only thing constant is change...

I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do to survive these days in a global market.

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue Z06

The Corvette has been a front engined, rear wheel drive, two seat, V8 powered car since 1955. It is a formula that has worked for 50+ years. I just see no reason to mess with success.
    Save the Wave!

Corvette(s)
    2002 MY Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by DRTH VTR View Post
    The Corvette has been a front engined, rear wheel drive, two seat, V8 powered car since 1955. It is a formula that has worked for 50+ years. I just see no reason to mess with success.
    Without the V8, the rear-wheel drive, well it just ain't a Corvette, but a wanna-be.

Pseudomind is a member of the Jacksonville Corvette Club

“Spirituality gives hope, religions divide people”

From a GED to an MBA

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

Rob, don't you mean L6 back in '53?

I'm not sure that adding an entry level sports car to the Chevy line is a good idea especially if they call it any name that has Corvette tie-in. If GM wants Chevy to have an mid range sports car, at least they out to pick a totally new name for it that can not be mistaken for anything Corvette.
    Tuna
    NCM Lifer - NCM Fighter Squadron
    2014 Caravan Captain - OK/TX Panhandle
    Central OK CC - Lone Star CC

Dirtfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do to survive these days in a global market.
    It will be interesting to see what lengths GM will be willing to go to to survive. If they think a V6 Corvette will help, then that is going in a different direction than in the past. I don't know if the tried and true practices of GM will help them to survive much longer.

There has been talk about adding a "bowtie" to the Corvette to raise consumer's brand awareness. "GM may now wish to associate the Corvette more closely with Chevy in an effort to improve consumer perception of the brand."

What if this V6 is the first step in a Corvette "line"? The current Corvette would be the flagship model, the V6 would be a smaller, more affordable model. The Corvette line would be similar to Cadillac, an upscale line for GM targeted at a more mature demographic, all carrying the Corvette badge.

This of course would open the gates for the Corvette Sport Utility and the Corvette Wagon.

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior

I voted no, but what I really wanted to vote was
    HE@# NO!

B17Crew

Corvette(s)
    1972 LT-1/Air coupe w/all options

Chevy can make whatever sports car they want, but if it's not a RWD V8 with a plastic body then it's not a Corvette.
    Erik S. Klein
    NCRS Member #: 11661
    Corvettes Anonymous Charter Member 003

All Options 1972 LT-1 Air Coupe

Corvette(s)
    1985 Coupe /1977 L82 Coupe / 1971 Red Coupe

Yep , figures ! Just when they get it right. This almost makes me sick to my stomach. Remember the 76 Mustang with the 4 cylinder engine . Right then and there I decided I would never own another Mustang.
    If Corvette does this, they have lost a sale with me. Can you imagine driving up in your new Vette and someone asking you if it has the V8 or the 6.

OK here it is in a nutshell,

whoever came up with this idea>>>

Go buy yourself a Yugo or a Kia , you are not worthy to even talk to the Corvette owners. Turn your head in shame!

GM has bankrupt the company with all the other cars including their silly "Isuzu" Duramax diesel truck and now the want to ruin the only thing they have thats worth buying. Whats next , the Corvette mini van?
    Someone needs to step back and take along look at whos making decisions.

Corvette has always be a step above all the others, go ahead Chevrolet and drop the name down with the others and soon all Vettes sales will die out. The people that buy these cars we love will no longer shell out the bucks .. The Viper people are going to love this one.

Guy
    Corvette(s)
    2010 CRMT Grand Sport Coupe

Call it a Fiero.

What am I saying? I LIKED my little Fiero, but don't mess with the Vette!!!

Guy

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue Z06

Quote Originally Posted by cj5nutz View Post
    Yep , figures ! Just when they get it right. This almost makes me sick to my stomach. Remember the 76 Mustang with the 4 cylinder engine . Right then and there I decided I would never own another Mustang.
    If Corvette does this, they have lost a sale with me. Can you imagine driving up in your new Vette and someone asking you if it has the V8 or the 6.

OK here it is in a nutshell,

whoever came up with this idea>>>

Go buy yourself a Yugo or a Kia , you are not worthy to even talk to the Corvette owners. Turn your head in shame!

GM has bankrupt the company with all the other cars including their silly "Isuzu" Duramax diesel truck and now the want to ruin the only thing they have thats worth buying. Whats next , the Corvette mini van?
    Someone needs to step back and take along look at whos making decisions.
    Don't hold back, now. Tell us what you really think!
    Save the Wave!

Corvette(s)
    1999 Coupe, Silver

Sting Ray?

They should call it the Flounder because that's what GM's doing.....................

Corvette(s)
    1985 Coupe /1977 L82 Coupe / 1971 Red Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by DRTH VTR View Post
    Don't hold back, now. Tell us what you really think!
    I had to walk outside after reading this thread .

I am through now, I was about to make a road trip and go postal on some GM azz.

Corvette(s)
    Hers: 2007 Atomic Orange, His: 2007 Machine Silver

With a 240hp V6, 6-speed, RWD this little "Chevy Solstice" would make an interesting car. Put a turbo on it and boost it up to 300hp and it would be VERY fun to drive.

But IT'S NOT A CORVETTE! It should not be referenced in the same category. They are two completely different platforms. So keep the naming separate.

MHO

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast