Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Rob
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 (Canadian) Bright Red / Black

Default Ruthless Pursuit of Power: 2008 Edition: Our In-Depth Look at the 2008 Corvette LS3

Ruthless Pursuit of Power: 2008 Edition: Our In-Depth Look at the 2008 Corvette LS3 Engine

© 2007 by Hib Halverson
    No use without permission, All Rights Reserved
    Quote:
    I turned left on I-65-north on-ramp, then buried the gas.

First: exhilaration

In seconds, I was near the top of third gear, watching traffic fly backwards when I lifted. This twenty-oh-eight, six-speed–new LS3 under the hood and optional "NPP" exhaust out back–was a freakin' rocket ship.

Then: despair.

I realized that now, my '04 Z06, good old "3Balls39", can't even keep up with a base C6. The new engine–6.2-liters, 436hp@5900 rpm–makes the standard Corvette about half-a-tenth quicker than the most aggressive Vette of just 48 months ago.

"This sucks!" I blurted.

The GM guy with me almost got a word out.

"Dude!" I cut him off. "The motor's awesome! What sucks is that it took you guys only four years to make a base car quicker than my 110-lbs. lighter C5Z."
    Hib Halverson takes an in-depth look at the 2008 Corvette's LS3 engine and interviews John Rydzewski, Assistant Chief Engineer for Small-Block Passenger Car Engines, Design Responsibility Engineer (DRE) for Small-Block Cylinder Heads, Lou Oniga, and GMPT's Executive Director for Engine Engineering, Sam Winegarden.

Check it out!

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...ls3_page1.html
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com

Well researched and well-written report, Hib.

Great work, as usual.