Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe

Default Purchasing a car and hidden charges

I was thinking about purchasing a car and was wondering what people thought about who to buy from and hidden charges.
    I was wondering the good and bad things about purchasing from Ebay owner, private owner or dealership. Also, in state compared to out of state.

What are some common hidden charges I might stumble into? I have heard dealers mentioning stuff like handling charges and title charges.
    Also if you purchase from a dealer, do you pay sales tax at the dealer?

I thought you paid a sales tax at the license branch (indiana here). Im kinda nervous that if I purchase a nice car from a dealer in another state I might get double taxed from two states.

I have purchased cars before from dealerships but never one that isnt going to be a daily driving vehicle. Usually the dealership and my wife do a lot of the haggling. I try to stay out of the way.
    Therefore if anyone has a nice explanation on what they have dealt with in the past and what things I should be warned about would be helpful.
    thanks
    jim

Any "hidden" charges added on by the dealer are negotiable, and I would think that no dealer is going to fight you on any that you balk at paying, considering the state of their sales of late.

Title charges must be paid by you to the dealer since they're selling you the vehicle. Check your state's limits on what can be charged. Once again, if the dealer is charging more than necessary I would think you could negotiate that down in this current economy.

And sales tax is charged per the state the vehicle will be licensed in, not the one you purchase in if it is another state.

Hope I was of some help.

Corvette(s)
    2011 Cyber Gray Callaway Convertible

Jim,

You will not pay sales tax to a dealer in another state. You will pay that sales tax at your Registry of Motor Vehicles (or whatever it's called in your state). You will also pay the title fee there, not at the out of state dealership.

If I can help you find your Corvette, please don't hesitate to contact me. I work for Corvette Mike New England (a CAC sponsor), and we offer many pristine "used" Corvettes. Also, don't hesitate to call me if I can help you with any questions.

Elaine
    Cell: 617-872-8252
    HIS - 2011 Cyber Gray Grand Sport Callaway Convertible -"SOQUIK"
    HERS - 2005 Daytona Sunset Orange 6-spd Convertible - "SOQWIK"

South Shore Corvette Club - Weymouth, MA
    National Corvette Museum Member

Sales
    Corvette Mike New England
    Toll-free: 877-427-8388
    Cell: 617-872-8252

"Corvette Mike New England"