Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Huskerman

Thread: Getting my first

Default Getting my first

So I have decided on upgrading to a Corvette. My Mustang isn't cutting it anymore. It took some gentle arm twisting but I got my wife to say yes. I am looking at 08/09's or maybe a 10 depending on options. What should I be looking for when I go for a test drive? I have driven a couple and there was something I could spot that was wrong and I walked away. One had misaligned front end panel gaps, other had mismatched and wrong type tires - weren't run flats.

I am pretty sure the tires need to be run-flats and I am trying to stay away from any and all mods, even exhaust. I want to beat up on the car but I don't want someone elses car they beat to death. I plan on autocrossing and tracking the car so how can I spot if the other owner already has?

Also what recalls, services bulletin type stuff should I know about? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. If there is a similar thread to mine I will go there but haven't found one geared towards the years I am looking at.

Thanks for your help.

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver

Welcome to the CAC first of all. Glad you are ready to move up to a Vette. Carfax is a place to start and any previous owner history you can come up with. The newer the cars the less trouble it is to track that down. A lot of folks go to non run-flats after the originals wear out. Less money and better ride mostly. I wouldn't condem a car just because it has non run-flats on it. When the time comes you can buy a new set if you so choose. Usual stuff did the PO track the car or otherwise beat it to death. Service records are good to have. I highly recommend a 2010 Grand Sport with a six speed manual...... Good luck with you search and post up some pics when you get one....
    BigJimZ16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerman View Post
    Welcome to the CAC first of all. Glad you are ready to move up to a Vette. Carfax is a place to start and any previous owner history you can come up with. The newer the cars the less trouble it is to track that down. A lot of folks go to non run-flats after the originals wear out. Less money and better ride mostly. I wouldn't condem a car just because it has non run-flats on it. When the time comes you can buy a new set if you so choose. Usual stuff did the PO track the car or otherwise beat it to death. Service records are good to have. I highly recommend a 2010 Grand Sport with a six speed manual...... Good luck with you search and post up some pics when you get one....

I give the carfax a good look through but I think they tend to be incomplete not a lot of service records sometimes. Also since it will be my daily driver I wouldn't really want to get stuck with a flat if that were to happen. Just my two cents on why to go with the run flats.

Definitely getting one with a manual, wouldn't go any other way.

Do you know what it is like to live with the transparent top as a daily driver? Seems like it would get really hot in the summer with it.
    Last edited by needmorespeed; 02-06-13 at 03:35 PM.

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver

The only see through tops that I had were T-tops in a 79 and that wasn't too bad if I recall. I also had a dark tinted top for my 90 and had to buy a screen to put in it when it got hot in the summer. I liked the way it looked but it would get hot in the car and would work the air cond hard. My C5 and now my C6 do not have the see through tops and I don't miss it.....other C5 or C6 guys will have to chip in on their experiances with them. Michilin makes a real good zero pressure tire.

I carry a kit from the Tire Rack that has the goop and the air pump combined....but I'm probably kidding myself. I bought the car with the Nitto's on it and will be switching out to the Michilins as soon as they wear out. I really like the Invo's though.
    Last edited by Huskerman; 02-06-13 at 06:01 PM.

Corvette(s)
    2006 Victory Red C6 Z51 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by needmorespeed View Post
    So I have decided on upgrading to a Corvette. My Mustang isn't cutting it anymore. It took some gentle arm twisting but I got my wife to say yes. I am looking at 08/09's or maybe a 10 depending on options. What should I be looking for when I go for a test drive? I have driven a couple and there was something I could spot that was wrong and I walked away. One had misaligned front end panel gaps, other had mismatched and wrong type tires - weren't run flats.

I am pretty sure the tires need to be run-flats and I am trying to stay away from any and all mods, even exhaust. I want to beat up on the car but I don't want someone elses car they beat to death. I plan on autocrossing and tracking the car so how can I spot if the other owner already has?

Also what recalls, services bulletin type stuff should I know about? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. If there is a similar thread to mine I will go there but haven't found one geared towards the years I am looking at.

Thanks for your help.
    run a car fax report to start with. Are you buying from a dealer or privately? I would suggest if you have concerns, do yourself a favor and buy from a dealer, or if buying privately get someone else who knows Corvettes to check it over. That is all I got. Oh, and welcome to the best world you will ever know!!!!

Keep the wave!

Corvette(s)
    2006 Victory Red C6 Z51 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by needmorespeed View Post
    I give the carfax a good look through but I think they tend to be incomplete not a lot of service records sometimes. Also since it will be my daily driver I wouldn't really want to get stuck with a flat if that were to happen. Just my two cents on why to go with the run flats.

Definitely getting one with a manual, wouldn't go any other way.

Do you know what it is like to live with the transparent top as a daily driver? Seems like it would get really hot in the summer with it.
    I have both glass top and solid top. I love the glass (or no top) and I don't get hot because of the great a/c. They are tinted pretty dark so glare/sun not an issue. I have the red top on now as winter is here (my are in garage due to snow but put the red top on in the fall). Drove home from Florida with the glass top - no complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by arrie View Post
    I have both glass top and solid top. I love the glass (or no top) and I don't get hot because of the great a/c. They are tinted pretty dark so glare/sun not an issue. I have the red top on now as winter is here (my are in garage due to snow but put the red top on in the fall). Drove home from Florida with the glass top - no complaints here.

Good to know about the tinted top. I have been worried about it letting the car get too hot in the summer.