Results 1 to 8 of 8
Thread: How to test a switch?
- 01-23-13, 07:42 PM #1
How to test a switch?
I have my 98 for 4 years now and from the get go the only thing that does not work are my fog lights. Most annoying.
So far I have ....
1. Check the bulbs they are OK but no current gets to the sockets.
2. Changed the under-hood fuse and relay with new ones.
3. Pulled the nose off and checked the wiring to the fuse box it's OK.
Now I am thinking it's the switch. When I take the switch out there are multiple contacts so how do I determine if the switch is bad?
Which terminals and how to hook them up to a 12v source? A test diagram would help.
- 01-23-13, 07:49 PM #2
- Join Date
- Sep 2009
- Bremerton Wa - Okinawa Japan
- 1972 stringray
Not too sure about your car, but with power disconnected - take a long wire and connect it to the bulb, next take an ohm meter and connect one lead of it to the other end of the wire, the other lead touch it to the wires on the switch to see witch one has continuity.
Once you find the wire then use a volt meter to check the voltages throughout the circuit.
- 01-23-13, 08:46 PM #3
- Join Date
- Nov 2004
- Old Fort NC/Vero Beach FL
- 03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
There is also a fuse for the fogs under the passenger side floor in the inside power distribution center,Have you checked it? (#32 Mini 15 amp)
Double Click the large image,It will open a new window!Then click the magnifying glass in the lower left corner and it will blow the schematic up!
Last edited by gmjunkie; 01-23-13 at 09:22 PM.junk!!
The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous
- 01-30-13, 07:25 PM #4
Last year when I was messing with it for the third time I think I checked that fuse but will do it again.
I just have to wait for a nice day to back out the tractor and other stuff then drop Scarlet down to the floor for a snoop, she's on the rack for winter.
- 02-03-13, 10:21 PM #5
- 02-04-13, 06:53 PM #6
- 02-04-13, 08:42 PM #7
- 02-17-13, 06:32 PM #8
- By XLR8 in forum Proving GroundsReplies: 0Last Post: 08-08-12, 02:19 PM
- By baxsom in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 1Last Post: 08-10-08, 10:02 PM
- By fla10000 in forum C4 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 4Last Post: 06-14-05, 12:22 AM
- By Crispyc21 in forum C4 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 3Last Post: 06-20-04, 08:54 AM
- By Customcar in forum C4 General DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 04-29-04, 09:23 PM