Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: 1988 Water Pump

Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright red Coupe

Default 1988 Water Pump

How hard is it to install a new water pump on a 88 C4? I have the Haynes repair manual but cant see removing all the items they list. Just noticed it starting to leak today, anyone have any tips for this one?
    Joe

Corvette(s)
    2005 Coupe, black over black

A lot of stuff has to be moved out of the way, but it's easily doable in an afternoon or a long day where you take your time. You'll need a deep socket to remove one of the compressor bracket bolts, I forget what size it is, I think 16mm but I'm probably wrong. If you have the "frisbee" on the waterpump, consider getting rid of it, it's just dead weight for your engine to move around and it will make it easier for you to see the w/p weep holes next time.

Degrease the front of the engine, trust me, it will be much more pleasant to work on. Just spray some simple green all around the front of the engine and hose it off, having a clean car to work on does wonders for your temper.

Consider replacing upper and lower radiator hoses while you're at it. You'll have to depressurize the fuel lines, because unfortunately they have to be disconnected to remove the compressor bracket. I do this by removing the fuel pump fuse and starting the car, this will get most of the gas out of the lines. You may want to replace the fuel line o-rings.

It's not difficult, just time-consuming.

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joesroad View Post
    How hard is it to install a new water pump on a 88 C4? I have the Haynes repair manual but cant see removing all the items they list. Just noticed it starting to leak today, anyone have any tips for this one?
    i did mine (88) about a year ago..looking at it, it appears to be a nightmare but, looking back, it was not all that hard....if i had to replace it again, i would say the same thing as when i first did it.."THIS IS A FREAKIN' NIGHTMARE!!!"....

TIPS;...JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND USE A GOOD SEALER AND HAVE PLENTY OF LIGHT.....MOVE ANY WIRES OUT OF THE WAY VERY CAREFULLY AND IF YOU HAVE THE "FRISBE" STILL ATTACHED, GET RID OF IT!

Corvette(s)
    1989 Dark Red Coupe

Default Just Completed This Job

Just did a new waterpump on my 89 two weeks ago. You do need to remove everything from the front of the engine. It offers a great opportunity to clean off the front of the engine like Tyrel said. I ended up taking off the alternator and air pump and the brackets for them and cleaning all that stuff up too. Definitely should replace the lower hose while your there. I went crazy cleaning stuff and was very patient and this was still a two afternoon project. Drove 190 miles through the mountains with no leaks.

Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright red Coupe

I'm gonna go ahead and tackle it this weekend, thanks for all the help and tips. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright red Coupe

Default Water Pump

Got he new pump installed, not hard at all, took about 3 hrs and I did away with the frisbee too! Thanks for all the tips guys. Nice day to be driving a vette!!!

Corvette(s)
    2005 Coupe, black over black

Congratulations!

Corvette(s)
    1989 Dark Red Coupe