Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1984 metal silver

Default C4 1984 change to bigger brakes

Hi Im restoring and preparing my C4 from 1984, and want to put bigger discs and brakes on it, is it possible to use newer discs on it, without doing mayor changes to the hubs and Suspension? I have the 17 inch rims, so have enough room for them already>

Corvette(s)
    1992 Black Rose ZR-1

Quote Originally Posted by victorgomez01 View Post
    Hi Im restoring and preparing my C4 from 1984, and want to put bigger discs and brakes on it, is it possible to use newer discs on it, without doing mayor changes to the hubs and Suspension? I have the 17 inch rims, so have enough room for them already>

I did this mod when I had my 84. Used the C5 brake calipers and rotors in combination w repro 17" ZR-1 wheels. Was a great improvement.
    The brakes along w swapping in a ZF-6 in place of the 4+3 trans really transformed the car for me. It was sooooo much more fun to drive. You can install the C5 brakes on the 84 spindle, but you'll need to open up the brake mounting bolt boss from 12 to 14mm.
    Others have done this and have had no issue. I decided to use 87 spindles which are already built with the 14mm bolt boss.