Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1962 rebuild in progress

Default 62' Door Hardware Question

Evening folks..... Well my 62' is in the body shop now for final finish and body work before painting. While the doors are off I am refinishing the door hinges, making sure the hinge pins are good and tight, sandblasting and priming them so they can be reinstalled when the doors go back on. The hingle plates that fit against the door frame on the front side of the door body area and have the mount screws go thought them to the bolt plates up against the back side of the body door post were mostly rusted through and chewed up so I am replacing the plates with new ones. Question one the old hinge plates were spot welded on soooo can anyone give their thoughts on whether to spot weld the new one back on the door hinges or is there and alternate method of attaching the door hinge plates back on the hinge assembly that fits inside the door area.

Also I would like to replace the striker plates and shims while the doors are off. When the striker plates are removed for replacment there is a set of back plate fixtures behind the fiberglass section where the striker plates mount in the rear door area. Question two .... is there a magic method to getting to the back plate area for when I remount the striker plates and shims. The body is on a rotisserie so I can pretty well move it around as needed. I haven't looked real close yet but off hand it looks like a small area may need to be cut out in the rear fender well and refiberglassed once the back plates are back in place. Any input would be appreciated I have to admit I have not checked the aim yet but I will check that tonight. Thanks for any input.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z06, 01 Vert, 2x63 SWC, 64 coupe & 60 ALL RED

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Edwards View Post
    Evening folks..... Well my 62' is in the body shop now for final finish and body work before painting. While the doors are off I am refinishing the door hinges, making sure the hinge pins are good and tight, sandblasting and priming them so they can be reinstalled when the doors go back on. The hingle plates that fit against the door frame on the front side of the door body area and have the mount screws go thought them to the bolt plates up against the back side of the body door post were mostly rusted through and chewed up so I am replacing the plates with new ones. Question one the old hinge plates were spot welded on soooo can anyone give their thoughts on whether to spot weld the new one back on the door hinges or is there and alternate method of attaching the door hinge plates back on the hinge assembly that fits inside the door area.

Also I would like to replace the striker plates and shims while the doors are off. When the striker plates are removed for replacment there is a set of back plate fixtures behind the fiberglass section where the striker plates mount in the rear door area. Question two .... is there a magic method to getting to the back plate area for when I remount the striker plates and shims. The body is on a rotisserie so I can pretty well move it around as needed. I haven't looked real close yet but off hand it looks like a small area may need to be cut out in the rear fender well and refiberglassed once the back plates are back in place. Any input would be appreciated I have to admit I have not checked the aim yet but I will check that tonight. Thanks for any input.
    Question 2
    if I am not mistaken, and my memory may not be the best.....but on my '60 you can put your hand up there from behind....look on the floor behind the drivers seat, you will see that there is access....or maybe it was from the gas tank area....but look around that area.....

Corvette(s)
    1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod

Claude,

There is no reason to spot weld the plates back in place. The screws will hold it tightly in place. Also, you will find that the hole centerline on the current repro plates does not match up exactly with the hinges, and the stamped counter sink is a little to big. You can put the plates in a vice and pinch them together little to make the holes line up. I also take a large countersink and increase the size of the countersinks in the hinges. If you do not do this, the plate will sit a little proud off the face of the hinge.

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette(s)
    1962 rebuild in progress

Thanks for the input every bit helps as I move forward a little at a time.