1984 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Revised Engine Removal Procedures
Model Year: 1984
Subject: Revised Engine Removal Procedures
Source: Chevrolet Service News
Number: 3, Volume 56
Date: May/June 1984
6A - ENGINE MECHANICAL - GAS
Revised Engine Removal Procedures -- 1984 Corvette Models Equipped With 5.7L V-8 Engine.
The Engine Assembly Removal and Installation procedures called out in Section 6A1, Page 6A1-25 of the 1984 Corvette Shop manual (ST-364-84) have been revised as shown below. Please make a note of this in your copy of the Shop Manual.
- Disconnect battery ground cable.
- Drain cooling system.
- Remove air cleaner.
- Remove serpentine belt.
- Remove braces at the back of A/C compressor.
- Disconnect wires at A/C compressor.
- Disconnect fuel feed and return lines at TBI units.
- Remove A/C compressor mounting bracket nuts and bolts.
- Disconnect heater hoses at the block.
- Disconnect fuel line clip at fuel pump cover plate.
- Disconnect upper radiator hose at thermostat outlet.
- Remove A/C compressor to mounting bracket bolt and move compressor aside.
- Remove mounting bracket.
- Disconnect CFI harness at engine.
- Disconnect cruise, detent and accelerator cables.
- Remove distributor shield.
- Remove distributor cap.
- Remove 4 wire connector at distributor.
- Disconnect detent cable bracket at intake.
- Remove distributor.
- Disconnect wires at oil pressure sending unit.
- Remove oil pressure sending unit.
- Disconnect necessary vacuum hoses.
- Disconnect power steering hoses at rack and pinion.
- Remove crankshaft pulley.
- Disconnect bulkhead connector and necessary harness connectors.
- Disconnect AIR hoses at converter check valve.
- Move fuel lines aside.
- Disconnect radiator hose at water pump.
- Disconnect upper radiator hose at power steering reservoir bracket.
- Raise vehicle.
- Disconnect AIR pipe at exhaust manifold.
- Remove AIR pipe at converter.
- Disconnect "Y" pipe hanger.
- Disconnect heat shields at "Y" pipe and converter.
- Disconnect oxygen sensor wire.
- Remove exhaust bolts at manifold.
- Remove "Y" pipe at converter bolts.
- Remove "Y" pipe.
- Remove flywheel cover.
- Remove torque converter bolts.
- Loosen motor mount through bolts.
- Remove motor mount to engine block bolts.
- Remove bell housing bolts.
- Disconnect knock sensor wire.
- Disconnect ground cable at block.
- Disconnect positive battery cable at battery and harness.
- Remove right rear intake manifold bolt and install lift hook.
- Support transmission with jack.
- Install lifting device and lift engine enough to remove CFI ground at rear of left cylinder head.
- Remove engine from vehicle.
For installation, reverse Removal procedures.
Article ID: 545
Created: July 28, 2014
Last Updated: July 28, 2014
Online URL: https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/1984-corvette-service-bulletin-revised-engine-removal-procedures-545.html