• March 2002 - Grinding the Corvette Axe
  • March 2002 - Grinding the Corvette Axe

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    maddadd69

Default The Wave

I am not new the the vette scene. I got my first vette in 1973 a blue '72 coupe. Since then I have had a '61 in need of restoring but driven regularly, a '75 Silver coupe, and now my 2001 Mag.Red coupe. Right from the beginning when ever another vette passes me I always wave and always have. It's part of the Corvette culture and always has been. I completely agree with Rob that it should continue. I have posted on this subject in another thread before so I won't get too wordy here!

SAVE THE WAVE

Morgan

p.s. had anyone heard from or about hotrod. (he hasen't posted since august) when i read his reply here this morning i send him an email. if anyone has any info please let me know because i would really like to talk to him.
    thanks

March 2002 - Grinding the Corvette Axe Patrick's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2006 'Evil Stealth Black' Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Hark! Is that a Wave I see?

I am fortunate enough to now be in my second Corvette. When I purchased my first one, the salesman actually took the time to explain the wave tradition to me- from what I gather, this is somewhat rare. I've been waving at every Corvette I come across on the road ever since.

Some wave back, some don't. I don't spend any time fretting about those that don't.

I enjoy receiving the wave back in return. As Rob so eloquently said, the wave is an expression of appreciation in a marquee, and all it's heritage, and all its performance. Those that get the point of the wave are the enthusiastic Corvette owners, not the showoffs. And those enthusiasts are the ones I like to believe have the philosophy I want to share.

Save the wave, everyone!
    -Patrick

March 2002 - Grinding the Corvette Axe hAZcAT's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    94 White Rag top, 85 4+3 Cop Finder Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I will wave to any vette, or cool sports car, any Bronco or cool 4x4, (I have a great bronco it goes everywhere even on top of my sisters 97 camero) about the only thing I won't wave to is a rice boy car (those with more stickers showing than paint, hard to wave when laughing that hard) but I do love the idea that I put a sticker on my car and it goes fast, but that is another story..

Corvette(s)
    Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi Rob,

It's not just some Vette drivers, it's also some golfers, boat owners, you name it. There are jerks in any sport or hobby. I just ignore 'em.
    2004 Z06/Z16 stock
    Black/gray 1996 LT4 Coupe (sold)

2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Ready to buy a 2012/2013 C6Z from motivated seller, don't need to sell my c5, or ask the wife or bank. PM if you have a lead for me. Thanks!

Link to my DIY videos http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

Corvette(s)
    1994 Red vert 1986 Blue Silver vette coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Don't feel bad when someone doesnt wave, where I live your luckey if anyone on the road even knows what a corvette is.But that is Maui not a lot of vetts over here.
    redvette

doylede

Rob,
    I can't speak for other C5 owners, nor can I describe the behavior of any "majority" of C4 owners.

What I can tell you is very simple and personal. My experiences as a C5 owner on-line and on-road.

On-road I try to always wave to other Corvettes because I believe that we do have a shared experience that no foreign car can duplicate. In return, I find that some C5 owners don't return the wave, but the C4 owners spurn me about half the time. Older Vette owners almost always return the wave.

On-line I find that there is a small percentage of C4 owners that are not aware of the improvements made after the 12 year run of the C4 or don't care. You know how bad some of the C4 cars were; you have referred to the reasons in your columns - government enforced polution limits, gas milage targets, etc. The result of these problems was to build some very poor performing C4's.
    The total corvette experience should include acknowledgement that some Corvette years are not good performance cars. I'm really tired of C4 owners trying to claim that the C4 was the best ever Vette. This is simply not true. In fact, the C4 may be the worst ever Corvette generation for it's time.

Here's my summary. Feel free to vilify. As Kris Kristofferson said, "Everybody needs somebody to look down on... If you can't find nobody else, help yourself to me".

The C1 wasn't much until the end (60-62)

The C2 was a new breath - maybe the best Vette of all time

The C3 messed up the C2 by trying to be a muscle car instead of a sports car - way more power than the chassis could handle.

The C4 ran for so long that one comment is inapropriate. Early C4's were weak in performance to an extreme. Late C4's were still still so weak that Lingenfelter could only make 330 HP from a 1989. The chassis was so wobbly that it became a legend. "Take the tops out and the handling changes".

The C5 was a breath of fresh air. It put the sports car back in Corvette. "world class" Maybe - maybe a reach. Anyway, a huge improvement.

The C6 will really be "world class" if the promises are delivered.

March 2002 - Grinding the Corvette Axe RC135_Tx's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2006 MN6 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by froggy47
    Hi Rob,

It's not just some Vette drivers, it's also some golfers, boat owners, you name it. There are jerks in any sport or hobby. I just ignore 'em.
    I just got my first 'Vette this January (hey, it's Texas!). I didn't know if I just thought I wanted one or if I'd really enjoy it. Now I know the answer. Permanent grin & I'm happy to wave to anybody!! Life is indeed too short to waste.
    Chuck

March 2002 - Grinding the Corvette Axe koolaid117's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Anniversary Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I had a two different Jeep Wranglers at different times. Some would wave, some wouldn't. The Jeep slogan "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" applies here as well. Some Corvette owners get it (the ones here at the CAC), some don't. Save a wave for me!
    Life's too short to be unhappy.

Corvette(s)
    EB 03 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well said.
    I wave at other Vette drivers, and some just look at you as if your dirt. Most of the time they do

Stealth1

Quote Originally Posted by slong
    Well said.
    I wave at other Vette drivers, and some just look at you as if your dirt. Most of the time they do
    I am a first time vette owner. Gotta admit getting snubbed did bother me at first but I think the snubers are either just idiots or have no car sense
    at all. It doesnt even phase me anymore. I'm gonna keep on wav'n cause I love vette's.

Corvette(s)
    1990 Red Metallic Convert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

One of the first thing I learned was about the wave, then when I took my granson and neice for a ride I let them do the wave and they thought it was sooo cool! now anytime they ride with me they are on the lookout for other vettes.

March 2002 - Grinding the Corvette Axe MsSchroder's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Yellow Z06 (sold); 1999 Pewter FRC (sold)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Today was a good day for the wave.

I was 2 out of 2 from C5 owners, and each time, they waved broadly out of their window after they passed me in another lane of busy traffic. Not just desultory waves, but outgoing, isn't-the-corvette-lifestyle-great waves.

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe; W/6-Speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Very, very and very well said!!!!! We need to set the example, in fact we do, when you are the all AMERICAN SPORTS CAR, have respect for it and all others as well. . . . .whether they drive one or not.
    Bill B.

Corvette(s)
    05 black cpe-Porsche GT3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I am a car lover and have owned many exciting cars in my 63 years. In my salad years I have owned and sometimes driven vehicles that would have been at home in a junk yard.
    I currently own a 2005 C6 and a 2005 Porsche GT3 Mark ll. Each has its own merits and I really enjoy driving both of them. I ALWAYS wave to Corvette and usually get a return wave 75% of the time. I ALWYS wave to Porsches and rarely get a return wave. (how do you know the difference between a Porcupine and a Porsche owner)
    It has always escaped me why some people cop an attitude when they get behind the wheel of a Porsche. There are quite a few P car owners in my neighborhood and with the exception of two they are pricks, never returning a wave and sometimes deliberately looking the other way should we pass each other.
    Know what I do. I wave anyway and honk my horn incessantly. Seems to **** them off. Life is good, but I need a louder horn!!

Corvette(s)
    2000 Silver (sold) 2007 C6 - Monterrey Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default The Wave

It used to be sports car owners waved at one another, regardless of the margue. I like to wave to greet another enthusiast!! But frankly many drivers are NOT enthusiasts, they are poseurs. They drive a nice car for the cachet they presumably get from driving a nice car. They don't necessarily drive a nice car because it is a nice car - only for the one-upmanship that accrues from it. I just keep on waving!! Maybe my joy in driving will rub off on them - we don't need to to develop our own snarky attitude - we just need to develop our joy!! SAVE THE WAVE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast