Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
    Five minutes after it happened it did not matter, in point of fact it did not matter while it was in process. People need to take a deep breath. I like the new C6 sure but all this Holy Grail, searchng for the Fountain Of Youth and other such fanaticism is a little over the top. When all is said and done it is a car for crying out loud we are not talking about proof of or a hoax about finding documented extra-terrestial life. Take a deep break it is a joke lighten up.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Now could you please help us understand the meaning of life.

Remo

2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Vert. 6 Spd, PFADT Coilovers & Sways, Kooks
    LT Headers, high flow cats, X-pipe, Borla Stingers - 469 RWHP, 455 RWTQ.

December 2006:  The Web of Deception Dad's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    15Gray/8sp 72Blk/Blk4Spd 64Red/Red/Wht4spd
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My only fear now is that the Britney pictures were a fake, or were they? Is there any way we can check it out as a group?
    C6 has been great for over 10 years, I'll miss her... Still more fun driving the '64 and the '72.

Corvette(s)
    05 black cpe-Porsche GT3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You guys think you were duped.....I bought two of them!!!!

Dave Davis...send me $186,000 as my refund.

Corvette(s)
    62 Conversion Car, Pewter 98, 59 Project
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by ricersvette89 View Post
    That was messed up! Why would someone do a thing like this!?!??!?
    Obviously to sell magazines. I have been a Car and Driver subscriber for almost 40 years and I am still waiting for the mid engine Corvette that they have been prophesying over the years. One of the biggest frauds ever perpertrated by a car magazine has to be Car and Driver's road test comparison of the Pontiac and Ferrari GTO's. I guess Davis E. Davis learned a few tricks while working at C&D.
    Charles

Corvette(s)
    1993 Medium Quasar Blue Metallic Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    It would seem obvious that it was in fact a stunt or a joke. Because it wasn't for real. It was fiction (like War Of The Worlds mentioned above). And saying "ha ha" or "gotcha!" does more or less make it a joke. I don't know many pratical jokes, surprises, or tricks that start out with, "OK, I'm about to pull a practical joke on you. Are you ready? You are? Good. Ok, here I go..."
    But then again, me not being part of the 5th estate, we might just agree to see it differently.
    Then we're in agreement. Point of fact, the Orson Welles production of War of the Worlds was prefaced by a disclaimer stating it was a radio dramatization of H.G. Wells book, NOT a news breaking broadcast warning of an alien invasion.
    Listeners not only missed 3 other disclaimers that the show wasn't real, they also missed the listing of the program in the local papers: "The Columbia Broadcasting System and its affiliated stations present Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air in 'The War of the Worlds' by H. G. Wells."
    And again, Windin Road did not put forth that they were perpetrating a hoax. They put their article and images out there as the real deal, blamed the Corvette community for being fanatics and then had a laugh at their own perceived cleverness. It was a stupid thing to do.

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vee93 View Post
    Then we're in agreement. Point of fact, the Orson Welles production of War of the Worlds was prefaced by a disclaimer stating it was a radio dramatization of H.G. Wells book, NOT a news breaking broadcast warning of an alien invasion.
    Listeners not only missed 3 other disclaimers that the show wasn't real, they also missed the listing of the program in the local papers: "The Columbia Broadcasting System and its affiliated stations present Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air in 'The War of the Worlds' by H. G. Wells."
    And again, Windin Road did not put forth that they were perpetrating a hoax. They put their article and images out there as the real deal, blamed the Corvette community for being fanatics and then had a laugh at their own perceived cleverness. It was a stupid thing to do.
    Bingo! vee93 gets the Beacon of Light award.
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Sveach View Post
    This, among other reasons, is why I don't put too much stock into spy photos. I'll wait till they release the offical, high res versions from the manufacturer, and then I'll start looking at them.
    Amen.

The cars are always changed before production. I just wait to see the real thing.

December 2006:  The Web of Deception Vettelt193's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    none right now :(
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vee93 View Post
    I can't find anywhere that says they took the pictures and posted them online. All it seems they did was make something that people assumed was something else... People took pictures of it and posted them online. Speculation ran wild. Anyone that is upset about this must also believe things like UFO's.

Everyone should take it as a lesson (or reminder) to not believe everything you see, especially when speculation is the key element.

Now, on the other hand... if you read the article about the 1991 Corvette Convertible on their web site: That Vette pictured as a 1991 doesn't actually look like a 1991 (wrong steering wheel, wrong seats in one pic, wrong wheels). I DO have a problem with blatent mis-representation of things found in any magazine/publication

Corvette(s)
    2007-3LT-Atomic Orange-Z51-6SPDMan-chrome wheels
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default For What It's Worth....

I guess that I view this as a quick and dirty way to call our attention to the Winding Road Website. Nothing more. So I choose not to take offense at how they pulled this trick off. I simply did not patronize them by visiting their web site.

I remember adds for a popular electronics store near my home town where the owner would be shouting loudly on both TV and Radio adds. When his stores became more popular and successful, I felt he effectively called attention to himself with these adds. After all, If you can't appeal to the public's intelect, just be loud and obnoxious; and the public will remember the adds.

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Vettelt193 View Post
    I can't find anywhere that says they took the pictures and posted them online. All it seems they did was make something that people assumed was something else... People took pictures of it and posted them online. Speculation ran wild.

Everyone should take it as a lesson (or reminder) to not believe everything you see, especially when speculation is the key element.
    Vette LT1 93...You get my Beacon Of Light award!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Okay, I guess I can say I'm a dumbass for actually falling for this, but then again I'm not a hardcore Vette follower. I just like the car. But this took me hook, line, and sinker.

Silverman

wow - such a fuss. I like Winding Road... the magazine. It's free and is downloaded in a PDF format. That format allows the best definition and clairity of photos, and their art work is stunning. Keep an open mind and take a look. And no, I don't work for them.

...more about David E. Davis

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...TGRVMNRHR1.DTL

Corvette(s)
    71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Idonmezwidcheats

I'd never heard of WR until I read this thread.

At first, I nearly went to their site so I could see for myself ... BUT ...

I remembered something ... I don't mess with cheats ... I certainly don't once I know/I'm advised they're cheats.

The way I see it, WR cheated. I don't mess w/ cheats, I won't visit their site.

JACK

Corvette(s)
    02 EB Z06 / 99 BLK Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi Folks -

I always consider the source of information - particularly when it comes on the web.

Since winding road never had any credibility with me, is there such a thing as negative credibility?

I remember the speculation regarding the C6 Z06, it was fun, but never became malicious.

This so-called prank was unprofessional, but it was funny.

I think the real victims here will be the honest and conscientious photographers, sadly.

best regards -

mqqn

02 EB Z06 - 388.9/377.5 11.91 @ 117 mph
    99 C5 Coupe - No numbers yet.
    Click the picture for my homepage.

Click here to see my Cardomain page.

Corvette(s)
    "06 Z06, Kawasaki ZZR, "66 supercharged Chev 489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Sveach View Post
    This, among other reasons, is why I don't put too much stock into spy photos. I'll wait till they release the offical, high res versions from the manufacturer, and then I'll start looking at them.
    I agree with that--the test mules don't look like much of a car, so who cares about those pics (any test mule photos, genuine or fake). I want to see the real thing, in full color, preferably DSOM.
    Gersh

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast