$projecthp
  • December 2006:  The Web of Deception
  • December 2006:  The Web of Deception
  • December 2006:  The Web of Deception
  • December 2006:  The Web of Deception

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64
  1. #31
    Member vee93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    585
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Medium Quasar Blue Metallic Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    As a card carrying member of the '5th Estate', a sometimes nomenclature for the working press, I have to admit I was skeptical when I first read this story. And as a photojournalist, the images did make me go--ummmmmmmm...... So I'm not surprised it's all a big hoax.
    ["Irresponsible speculation has been put forth by Corvette fanatics, magazine editors, and competing manufacturers...."]<<<Winding Road kicking off the irresponsibility in the first place by putting forth the article + bogus images.
    Their entire endeavor is a prime example of INFOtainment--not NEWS. This rush to be first, to scoop competition, the get the exclusive has a distasteful ripple effect that erodes the public trust. In some respects akin to bad choices made by the national news services to air stories about celebrity breakups and marriages. It's a need to hook you and gratify instantly without substance.
    And it really is too bad the legitimate mags didn't check their sources and have the images scrutinized before they rushed to publish. I wonder if these mags paid for the images. If so, that's fraud.
    The W.R. read was not put forth as a stunt--a joke. So reader mindset was in serious mode. Saying "ha ha" or "gotcha" after the fact doesn't legitimize the plot. Maybe it would've worked better for April Fool's Day.

  2. #32
    Administrator Evolution1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    4,292
    Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vee93 View Post
    The W.R. read was not put forth as a stunt--a joke. So reader mindset was in serious mode. Saying "ha ha" or "gotcha" after the fact doesn't legitimize the plot.
    It would seem obvious that it was in fact a stunt or a joke. Because it wasn't for real. It was fiction (like War Of The Worlds mentioned above). And saying "ha ha" or "gotcha!" does more or less make it a joke. I don't know many pratical jokes, surprises, or tricks that start out with, "OK, I'm about to pull a practical joke on you. Are you ready? You are? Good. Ok, here I go..."
    But then again, me not being part of the 5th estate, we might just agree to see it differently.

  3. #33
    December 2006:  The Web of Deception 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Missoura Ozarks
    Posts
    8,596
    Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    The Web With Deception...

  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    202
    Corvette(s)
    07 c6z RFE, 04 c5z CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Firstly, I was disappointed that it was NOT real.

    On the second take of all this, I enjoyed reading HOW THEY DID IT!

    I think overall, I don't hold any wrong to anyone. They did confess and document how it was done. Didn't hurt anyone, and it was for our enjoyment.

    I give them a 8.5 rating on interesting article and I'll have to give them a 4.0 on the "bad-deed" of fooling us. But, hey, it was entertaining and I give them a 9.0.

    So that's a 7.2 overall score. It's a PASS.

    -zBill.

    NOW, would I trust them on an important announcement ? Nah...

  5. #35
    Registered User pbadad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    long island,ny
    Posts
    19
    Corvette(s)
    03 z06 t/r ATI D1sc 570rwhp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default the blame game

    anyone can post, (almost) anything on the web ...jimmy

  6. #36
    Site Administrator Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    "Manchestah" NH
    Posts
    13,219
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    It would seem obvious that it was in fact a stunt or a joke. Because it wasn't for real. It was fiction (like War Of The Worlds mentioned above). And saying "ha ha" or "gotcha!" does more or less make it a joke. I don't know many pratical jokes, surprises, or tricks that start out with, "OK, I'm about to pull a practical joke on you. Are you ready? You are? Good. Ok, here I go..."
    But then again, me not being part of the 5th estate, we might just agree to see it differently.
    mmmm, good point....coming from someone who spends a 1/2 hour trying to find his keys only to go back to his hotel room to find them hanging out of the door knob.
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

  7. #37
    Site Administrator Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    "Manchestah" NH
    Posts
    13,219
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    Just a couple things to remember folks:

    You may not agree with my thoughts and opinions, and that's perfectly fine. I wouldn't expect you to.

    My main points were:
    1. take a look at the reasoning they cite behind why they did it
    2. we've all been reduced to "irresponsible Corvette fanatics" status
    3. they wanted to encourage GM to go ahead and build this thing based upon all the hubbub their photos of their rolling work of art created
    The photos of the black test mule that appeared prior to their photos, are real. It's a well known fact GM is concocting something potent. Even spy photographer, Chris Doane has stated this and others have reported that GM Engineers have confirmed they're stirring the proverbial performance cauldron once again.

    So if it's already a well known fact that something wicked this way comes as seen in previous spy photos, what was the point other than to label Corvette fanatics as "irresponsible?"
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

  8. #38
    ScatRat
    Guest

    Default

    Who cares?

    Winding Road...never heard of 'em.

    Isn't a good winding road something all us Vette drivers look for, so we can go play hard?

    Again, who cares?

  9. #39
    Administrator Evolution1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    4,292
    Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    mmmm, good point....coming from someone who spends a 1/2 hour trying to find his keys only to go back to his hotel room to find them hanging out of the door knob.
    Guilty as charged...

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Troy, Missouri
    Posts
    53
    Corvette(s)
    Plum Crazy Purple 1974 coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    The stunt, trick or whatever one wishes to call it, is perhaps not in the best of taste. And to call us irresponsible fanatics is a bit extreme (in most cases). But to each his or her own. If Winding Road wishes to play games at this level, so be it. I'm simply unlikely to subscribe. I also recall GM themselves pulled a similar trick back when the C4 was in development, with a cobbled-together egg-crate-grilled monstrosity. It, too was published by many a respectible magazine and touted by the media as something it wasn't. GM let it run its course for a while, then owed up. There was a bit of uproar from the media. Kinda sounds familiar, doesn't it? At least it wasn't Winding Road saying it's the Blue Devil/Stingray. No one really blamed GM for doing something unethical back then. Why would it be different today? It's the nature of spy photography - the vast majority of what's captured is so heavily camoflaged that it doesn't much represent the final product anyway.

  11. #41
    Site Administrator Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    "Manchestah" NH
    Posts
    13,219
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
    The stunt, trick or whatever one wishes to call it, is perhaps not in the best of taste. And to call us irresponsible fanatics is a bit extreme (in most cases). But to each his or her own. If Winding Road wishes to play games at this level, so be it. I'm simply unlikely to subscribe. I also recall GM themselves pulled a similar trick back when the C4 was in development, with a cobbled-together egg-crate-grilled monstrosity. It, too was published by many a respectible magazine and touted by the media as something it wasn't. GM let it run its course for a while, then owed up. There was a bit of uproar from the media. Kinda sounds familiar, doesn't it? At least it wasn't Winding Road saying it's the Blue Devil/Stingray. No one really blamed GM for doing something unethical back then. Why would it be different today? It's the nature of spy photography - the vast majority of what's captured is so heavily camoflaged that it doesn't much represent the final product anyway.
    I'm actually wondering if you aren't talking about the infamous photo of the C4 prototype that was caught testing at the Desert Proving Grounds. The front end looked like it came off a Cadillac Coupe DeVille. I talked to Jim Ingle who was a Corvette Powertrain Engineer for GM about this particular prototype. I haven't talked to him in a quite a while, so I'm not sure if he's still with GM or not, but he worked for Corvette Development for over 20 years.

    However, I digress...Jim told me how they had gone to great lengths to camo that test mule.

    However, if it's the one you're talking about, that test mule did have a specific purpose and they were using it to conduct validation testing with it. I don't consider that to be the same as the Winding Road model.

    In most cases, GM's test mules serve a legitimate purpose and the amount of camo is done to obviously keep things hidden until they're ready to let the full monty out of the bag. The Winding Road model served no other purpose but to deceive.
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

  12. #42
    wingnut
    Guest

    Default

    1 point i havent heard commented on is one that i picked up on in the initial read of the winding road arcticle on how they did it.
    the paparrazi,and their following.
    if it wasnt for people buying into the "i gotta have a subscription to this rag because they have all cool stuff first" instead of "I am a subscriber to this rag beause they are the most intelligent and non-biased reviewers of the products or hobbies i am enthused about" then we wouldnt have magazines paying thousands of dollars for "spy shots" or chasing princesses down till they die in a car crash.
    maybe you would actually see a celebrity in a restaraunt or for that matter,maybe you would actually see more mules out and about being tested.
    and I coulda really really said all this in earnest beleif if i hadn't seen Britney's lips in an email the other day.
    3 cheers for the paparazzi!!!

  13. #43
    Member Koop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    544
    Corvette(s)
    YELLOW 69 modified GM Crate ZZ383, LS2 TBSS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Someone stole 8 minutes of my life...

    Can I please have them back?

  14. #44
    Site Administrator Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    "Manchestah" NH
    Posts
    13,219
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koop View Post
    Someone stole 8 minutes of my life...

    Can I please have them back?
    meh, ya win some, ya lose some....
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

  15. #45
    Member Koop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    544
    Corvette(s)
    YELLOW 69 modified GM Crate ZZ383, LS2 TBSS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    meh, ya win some, ya lose some....

    MMmmmm. Back side of ZR1, now that's worth looking at.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2006 and 2007 Production News
    By Rob in forum C6 General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-08-06, 07:00 PM
  2. 2006 to 2007 Production Dates
    By Rob in forum C6 General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-06, 05:59 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-09-05, 09:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •