$projecthp
  • May 2004:  C6 Corvette Design:  Reality or Restraint?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    1g1yy

I'm sure the C6 is an improvement over the C5 in many ways -- but I kinda like the flowing lines of the C5 better.

There is one area in which the C6 is a disappointment to me. ( Actually I am glad of it because it means I will have no great desire to trade my C5 on a C6! )
    You see, I have muscular dystrophy and my legs are now so weak that I cannot depress a clutch pedal. This means I have to be happy with an A4 now. I will only consider trading in my C5 when GM develops a paddle shifted 5 speed automatic. There are many like me who, for various reasons, need an automatic. It does NOT mean we don't care about performance. One of the main reasons I bought a Corvette is because it is one of the few cars I could afford that still performs well with an automatic. But it is high time GM put a worthy automatic in the Corvette. So, I guess I will be waiting on the C7!

doylede

Quote Originally Posted by 1g1yy
    I'm sure the C6 is an improvement over the C5 in many ways -- but I kinda like the flowing lines of the C5 better.

There is one area in which the C6 is a disappointment to me. ( Actually I am glad of it because it means I will have no great desire to trade my C5 on a C6! )
    You see, I have muscular dystrophy and my legs are now so weak that I cannot depress a clutch pedal. This means I have to be happy with an A4 now. I will only consider trading in my C5 when GM develops a paddle shifted 5 speed automatic. There are many like me who, for various reasons, need an automatic. It does NOT mean we don't care about performance. One of the main reasons I bought a Corvette is because it is one of the few cars I could afford that still performs well with an automatic. But it is high time GM put a worthy automatic in the Corvette. So, I guess I will be waiting on the C7!
    I agree with your comment about the lines of the C5. Using 50 HP as bait, GM has reshaped a classic. The C2 and the C5 will, I believe, be the two classic Vettes in the future.

Regarding the manual/auto part of your message, while I don't have any medical condition other than old injuries, arthritis and high mileage with poor service, I agree with your request for a paddle shifted manual. This type of transmission is just BETTER. Since GM buys the manual in the Vette, perhaps they can buy a paddle shifted manual without using it as an excuse to add big bucks to the Vette price.

Have hope, the A4 is still available on the C6 Coupe and Vert. In fact, it is new and improved? with a downshift for corners feature and sufficient added strength to handle the 400 ft-lb of the LS2.

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by doylede
    Regarding the manual/auto part of your message, while I don't have any medical condition other than old injuries, arthritis and high mileage with poor service, I agree with your request for a paddle shifted manual. This type of transmission is just BETTER. Since GM buys the manual in the Vette, perhaps they can buy a paddle shifted manual without using it as an excuse to add big bucks to the Vette price.
    My opinion is still out on a paddle-shifting transmission. The concept is neat. I understand that it's used in various types of car racing. Admittedly, I have not driven a paddle-shifter equipped car before so I might absolutely love it, or I could totally hate it.

I do know one thing, there is nothing like grabbing hold of a short-throw stick shift, and running through the gears. In a car that I use for commuting back and forth to work, I usually want an automatic simply because it's a pain in the rear to be shifting in and out of 1st and 2nd gear incessantly in stop and go traffic.

However, when it comes to a sports car used for sporting driving, etc., give me a manual stick-shift any day.

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

How bout if you could have both?

Forget paddles for a minute and imagine a shifter just like you have now..

That could cut 2 more seconds out of your zero to 100mph run times..

Zeroshift being implemented in Europe for factory TVR's (similiar in concept to Corvettes) and I have been in contact with them on their prototype Tremec T56 for corvettes..

Could be the corvette team is going this route for the 2006 /7 Z06 C6..

Not an electrical computer device at all and designed for the street.
    C6 Black/blk Z51, NPP exhaust, 1lt, M6/2008 Silver AWD CTS, FE2, 304hp

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here's the link to a very cool article with diagrams and photos too.

http://www.pistonheadstv.com/images/ZeroShift_RacecarEng_0204.pdf
    C6 Black/blk Z51, NPP exhaust, 1lt, M6/2008 Silver AWD CTS, FE2, 304hp

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I think Audi just released their brand new paddle-shift transmission. According to Car and Driver, it shifts faster than you can manually because it uses a double-clutch system. As the first clutch is removing the first gear, a second clutch is already engaging the second gear. ...or something like that.

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes...Gone but not forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

Corvette(s)
    06 LMB supernatural
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JBsC5
    How bout if you could have both?

Forget paddles for a minute and imagine a shifter just like you have now..

That could cut 2 more seconds out of your zero to 100mph run times..

Zeroshift being implemented in Europe for factory TVR's (similiar in concept to Corvettes) and I have been in contact with them on their prototype Tremec T56 for corvettes..

Could be the corvette team is going this route for the 2006 /7 Z06 C6..

Not an electrical computer device at all and designed for the street.
    .........Just last week a buddy of mine came to pick me up to show me his new toy......A Red 1967 Convertible manual Corvette with Air Conditioning..(this car was owned by Felix Ptovin,goaltender in the NHL).......That thing was a beauty.....Well he came to pick me up in a 2003 BMW Z4 .Apparently it has 225 HP,..cute ....but wait,where it gets interesting is that it is an automatic AND manual.I tell you that transmission was awesome....The shifter is located where an automatic is but you can shift manually if you so desire.....I liked it alot and I wish Gm would use some sort of paddle shift too....Just my .02 cents.

doylede

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    My opinion is still out on a paddle-shifting transmission. The concept is neat. I understand that it's used in various types of car racing. Admittedly, I have not driven a paddle-shifter equipped car before so I might absolutely love it, or I could totally hate it.

I do know one thing, there is nothing like grabbing hold of a short-throw stick shift, and running through the gears. In a car that I use for commuting back and forth to work, I usually want an automatic simply because it's a pain in the rear to be shifting in and out of 1st and 2nd gear incessantly in stop and go traffic.

However, when it comes to a sports car used for sporting driving, etc., give me a manual stick-shift any day.
    I have driven paddle shifting cars, but they are paddle shifting automatics, i.e. Porsche Boxster.

What I would like to see the Corvette employ is a paddle shifted, automatically shifted, manual transmission. Other than the Ferrari Enzo, I don't know of a street car that uses this system today. But, I know nothing, don't take that as a expert opinion.

I do know that the auto-manual shifts faster and smoother than any professional race driver. Ferrari F1 racing has said that Schumaker didn't like the transmission because he thought he was faster (they say he is not), and he was smoother (they say he is not). They claimed .1 sec shift times.

Nobody can shift that fast every time. Well, I will back up a little. I've seen people do amazing things. Perhaps Senna had reflexes that justified his enormous salary. Schumaker thinks that he has such abilities. Ferrari says he doesn't.

Bob Yates

I'm going to jump in here and say I don't know about all the tech talk you guys are talking about.The thing I'm going to say is the one thing that has always been a fact about a Corvette is that it's a Dream Car built and sold by a major car manufacturer and you and I can own it. That's what the Corvette has always been about. All the designs and tech things are just some one putting their dreams and ideas in a form others can own. There are but a hand full of real cars that can stand up to the Corvette and deep in side all who own one know this. The Corvette is as a Dream Car that gets better with each new model change.The Corvette only goes backwards when put in reverse. That's just my take on the car I own......Bob Yates

Corvette(s)
    1993 Triple Blk.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Yates
    I'm going to jump in here and say I don't know about all the tech talk you guys are talking about.The thing I'm going to say is the one thing that has always been a fact about a Corvette is that it's a Dream Car built and sold by a major car manufacturer and you and I can own it. That's what the Corvette has always been about. All the designs and tech things are just some one putting their dreams and ideas in a form others can own. There are but a hand full of real cars that can stand up to the Corvette and deep in side all who own one know this. The Corvette is as a Dream Car that gets better with each new model change.The Corvette only goes backwards when put in reverse. That's just my take on the car I own......Bob Yates
    Couln't have said it better myself. Saturn owners don't join "Saturn" clubs and Porche owners don't wave to each other.
    Karl

May 2004:  C6 Corvette Design:  Reality or Restraint? barkingowl's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Dk. Bowling Green Metallic Coupe 1974 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I sat in a black C6 that rolled off the assembly line last Thursday. I really wasn't impressed.

Corvette(s)
    1981 beige
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Deacon of Gm, Roger Smith, while in command, virtually stopped any growth. He pleased the stockholders with cutbacks in R &D and primarily, "milked the cow" . While dividends and profits were good, market share was declining, especially to the rice burners. A good example of this strategy, is the C-4s. Not only is it the same old, same old year after year, but it doesn't appear much different than the Camaros the that era. The C2s & C3s usually sell for more and are distinctively "Corvette". I really like the C5s too but setting on the laurels is unwise while the competition is hacking away, like the Viper, Ford, even the Miatias!
    "new improved"....Reformulated.....from the few pictures I've see, this C6 is a another C5. The only reason I responded is I really appreciate the work Scott does ,...didn't want you to think no one is interested. thanks
    By the way, I was in the Caravan last year, and visited the Bowling Green Mueseum. As you probably know, they have a cut-away of the C5 which shows, to me anyway, "space age design". I didn't particularily like leaning back against the fuel tank when driving...but its a real thrill to just look at. I remember my first Vette drive in 1963, a friend let me take a spin with my ladyfriend....I'll never forget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Refinement is the key word with regards to comparing the C6 to the C5..

That along with Z06 performance for both the standard coupe and convertible...

Since the Z06 C5 was world class..

That makes the coupe and convertible all the more impressive.....especially withthe added refinement included in the package..

Second year C6 models with the six speed automatic should make quite a few sports luxury car makers quake in their boots..

JMO

Corvette(s)
    1973 White Roadster 2- top highly optioned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree with you about having the Corvette as a separate division , outside of Chevrolet. Although the C6 hasn't grown on me , I feel that it will evolve into a class car. The one thing I could never understand when I took my vette to a Bowtie dealer was the level of service. The just couldn't get it right and they never treated you the way you should be treated. I'm no snob , but when I take my wife's Lexus for service, it always comes back right, clean and a phone call follows to make sure your happy. Every new generation has a familiarity to the past so that no one is alienated. They are taking a tried and true product and "homoginzing " it.

rsub92

About paddle shifted manuals, I can attest to driving what amounts to a clutchless manual shift vehicle, and that it made a noticeable seat-of-the-pants difference in acceleration. Ok, it wasn't an automobile but a KTM 125MX motorcycle. The bottom end/drivetrain was shared with the 250 cc displacement version of the same machine, and was therefore overbuilt for the 125. Clutchless full-throttle high-RPM upshifts in a race were routine, and the gearbox took it in stride. There was no noticeable hesitation in acceleration, just an instantaneous change in the pitch of the motor. (Almost eerie, and never quite got used to the sensation). This was good for a bike length or more on a long straightaway against a zook or yammie, insuring a pass if exiting the previous corner on the other guy's tail. (Plus being able to focus more on the race, and not having to release the grip on the handlebars, even if only two fingers, for squeezing the clutch lever). The same could be said about being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel under high performance conditions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast