• An Historic World Series Match-up
  • An Historic World Series Match-up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default An Historic World Series Match-up

Like probably many of you, I don't have a dog in the fight; my Buccos were no-shows for the post season this year...

But nevertheless, we have an historic match-up for the Fall Classic: Cleveland vs. Chicago. Someone's long drought is about to end...

The Tribe makes its first appearance in nearly 20 years; no World Series championship in almost 70 years. The Cubbies, their first appearance in over 70 years, with no championship in over a century... So who will it be? They say everybody loves an underdog; but this year, we've got our choice...! Has the Curse of the Billy Goat waited until the Series to rear its ugly head...? Or, like the 2004 Red Sox, can the 2016 Cubs finally get that club's 'monkey' off their backs...?

I'm thinking if the Cubs can't do it this year, given the way the team has been playing all season, they never will... But folks in Cleveland are calling their team the "Windians" -- and with good reason. Both teams have dominated through their respective playoff rounds, so I expect it should be a good Series...

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The Toronto Blue Jays, the only non-American team in the "world" series, did well for a while. Some of our local SJWs tried to get some attention by going to court to demand the Indians hide their name and mascot to avoid offending. The judge tossed the case... but, typical SJW, they've made a Human Rights complaint as well.

Based on my absolute disdain for SJWs, I hope the Indians go all the way.

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Likes timfitz63, 82ColEd liked this post

Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Tim,
    Often, lacking a dog in the fight and a love of the game makes it all the better.
    Whoosh, and blur
    Likes timfitz63 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'm from Chicago, but I'm a South Sider, and obliged to root for anyone playing the Cubs. Go Tribe!
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    I'm from Chicago, but I'm a South Sider, and obliged to root for anyone playing the Cubs. Go Tribe!
    Well, the Indians were certainly on the warpath last night. They came out of the gates like they were still playing to get to the World Series; the Cubs looked like they had a case of the opening night jitters.

Still far too early to claim that I hear bleating, though... I seem to recall that the Yankees utterly humiliated the Pirates in three lopsided games during the 1960 World Series. But the thing about the Series is you've only got to win four games -- and the final scores ultimately don't matter...

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

True, the final scores don't matter but getting curb-stomped in the first game seems likely to have some kind of effect... whether it is to awaken the Cubs or demoralize them...

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    True, the final scores don't matter but getting curb-stomped in the first game seems likely to have some kind of effect... whether it is to awaken the Cubs or demoralize them...
    Fair point. I guess tonight will give us the first answer to that question... Of course, the old adage is that one should not poke the bear...

Likes Mac liked this post

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    Fair point. I guess tonight will give us the first answer to that question... Of course, the old adage is that one should not poke the bear...

It appears the bear noticed being poked...

Mac

Likes timfitz63 liked this post

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

So the Series is all knotted up at one game apiece going to Chicago. Game Two saw a reversal of sorts: the Cubs looked confident from the first pitch and the Indians couldn't seem to put it together.

Based on conventional baseball wisdom, the Cubs appear to have the advantage now: they played .500 ball on the road and are going home for three games. A sweep at Wrigley sends Chicago into orbit; but taking at least two of the three games still keeps them on track for a World Series championship... Can the Tribe reverse the momentum by taking two games on the road -- or even serve the Wrigley faithful a heaping helping of goat by sweeping...?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Tribe back on top...

Well, the first World Series game played in Wrigley Field in over 70 years ended the same way as the last game that was played there: a Cubs loss. And all the rally caps the Chicago faithful could muster couldn't change the outcome...

So the Indians find themselves one precious step closer to their goal; and the Cubs, one agonizing step closer to a seemingly omnipresent goat roast... For Chicago, the hopes of seeing the Cubs win it at home are now gone, but their team is certainly not on the mat either. Tonight is the pivotal match: either the Cubbies even the Series or the bleating, softly but distinctly, begins...

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default I think I hear the fat lady warming up...

Well, after their Game 4 loss, the Cubbies have certainly painted themselves into a corner. Now it's do or die. Only five teams have ever recovered from a 3-games-to-1 deficit to win a best-of-seven World Series: the 1925 Pirates, the 1958 Yankees, the 1968 Tigers, the 1979 Pirates, and the 1985 Royals. And only one NL team has ever done it -- as well as being the only team to do it twice (the Pirates).

Can the Cubs slay the goat in dramatic fashion...? Can they become the sixth team to win a World Series title when facing elimination going into Game 5...? The odds are greatly against them; the title-winning percentage for teams in the Indians' position is a daunting .886 -- and just over half of the time that deciding victory comes in Game 5. Plus the Cubs will have to win two games on the road...

Very tough -- but it's been done. I saw it happen in 1979.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The Cubs have shown they can do it (game 2)... but now they need to deliver under pressure...

Mac

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Still breathing...

Well, the Cubs did what they had to do to fend off the goat: they won Game 5. Now it's back to Cleveland for at least one more game -- Cubs fans obviously hoping for two more games...

From the perspective of the Indians and their fans, I don't think they can be too stressed by the Cubs' victory in Game 5; after all, they took two out of three on the road and are coming home for two games, only one of which they need to win. And I'm sure the thought that it would be preferable for their team to win the Series at home has crossed many minds in Cleveland... I expect the Indians to still be loose and confident going into Game 6. But a Cubs victory in Game 6 will ramp up their anxiety level quite a bit...

For the Cubs and their fans, nothing has changed except the field of play. It's still do-or-die. There is no tomorrow without a win in Game 6. In some ways, that knowledge can almost relieve the stress; the Cubs will just go out and play the game for keeps, pulling no punches. A warm-up for Game 7. Game 5 was the big hurdle; Game 6 is largely to prove it wasn't a fluke...

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If the Cubbies do manage to win Game 6, it seems like the momentum would swing to their favour going into that final game.

Mac

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    If the Cubbies do manage to win Game 6, it seems like the momentum would swing to their favour going into that final game.
    I'd agree. On paper it would still be even odds, but psychologically I think the Cubs would gain the advantage; the Indians would start hearing the pitter-patter of little bear claws behind them...

Likes Mac liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast