• An Historic World Series Match-up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Somehow, I think the coach of the Tribe will be giving the lads a stern talking-to after the game...

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Cubs to the Goat: "You're next...!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Somehow, I think the coach of the Tribe will be giving the lads a stern talking-to after the game...
    Indeed! The Indians certainly have a few wounds to lick after getting utterly mauled by the Cubs in Game 6!

The Tribe managed to post a few runs here and there, but the outcome was never really in question. From the first inning, the Cubs made a statement and punctuated it with their bats: "We're here to win a World Series; all of you who doubted it, look at us now!" The Indians looked dazed and confused -- and it didn't get better as the game when on. When Addison Russell's 2-out fly ball dropped for a 2-run double, I knew it was going to be a long night for Cleveland... Then Russell decided he wasn't finished; he presented himself in Game 6 as a one-man wrecking crew: 6 RBIs in total, with a grand slam. The rest of the Cubs' batting lineup practically could have phoned it in...

So onto the deciding Game 7. One game for all the marbles. Both teams will come out swinging; there's no tomorrow for either of them now. Win or it's a long winter. I'm not sure how much more drama can get packed into this one, folks. A come-from-behind Series victory for the Cubs? We've seen a grand slam; maybe one team or the other will pull off a triple play for us? Or a walk-off finish for the Tribe?

I guess we'll see tonight who (as ABC's Wide World of Sports famous tag line went) will experience "the thrill of victory ... and the agony of defeat."

Frankly, I can't say I'll be disappointed with the outcome either way; it's been a good Series and both cities should be proud of their teams.
    Last edited by timfitz63; 11-02-16 at 07:32 AM.

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow
    Likes Otter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The Tribe has it covered. The "Wild Thing" is in town.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    The Tribe has it covered. The "Wild Thing" is in town.
    I heard a rumor that they've got Jobu's shrine in the Indians' locker room too...

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Top of the 9th, tied at 6-6 and it's my bedtime...

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Top of the 9th, tied at 6-6 and it's my bedtime...
    Hold on a bit longer; middle of the 10th and the Cubs are back on top, 8-6. Three outs and Chicago goes delirious...

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Ding, dong the Goat is dead...

... which old goat...? The Billy Goat...! Ding, dong the Billy Goat is dead...!

I imagine that's what Cubs fans are singing this morning... And I haven't checked yet: is the city of Chicago still standing...? A party 108 years in the making for Cubs fans...!

Wow! Quite a finish! By the sixth inning it looked like the Cubs had this one all sewn up; then suddenly, the Indians found new life and tied the score in the bottom of the eighth. Even the announcers began speculating aloud about the possibility of witnessing -- for only the second time in World Series history -- a Game 7 that ended in a walk-off homer... A 20-minute rain delay going into extra innings ramped up the drama (and deprived us all of sleep); then the Cubs jumped back in front in the first half of the tenth, only to have the Indians bring the winning run to the plate in the bottom of the inning...

So, I'd like to personally thank both ball clubs for keeping me (and every other baseball fan) up into the wee hours of the morning; but more importantly, for a very engaging World Series!

For Cubs fans: Not much more to say than congratulations! What a way to end such a long drought: only the sixth MLB team to recover from a 3-games-to-1 deficit in a World Series, and only the second NL team to do it! You're in good company! Savor the moment -- no one is more aware than you that they don't come along as often as you'd hope...!

For Indians fans/greater Cleveland: sorry it didn't go your way. It's still a bitter pill to swallow, but take solace in the knowledge that, although a twist of irony has now made your drought the longest in baseball, the Tribe has now replaced the Cubs as everybody's favorite underdog...! Good luck next year, and we'll all be pulling for you in the 2017 World Series! Unless you're facing the Pirates...

Likes Otter, Toms007, Mac liked this post

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Finally, this old joke gets laid to rest... Both the Ottoman Empire and the longest drought in baseball are gone.

Mac

The Ottoman Empire Still Existed The Last Time The Chicago Cubs Won The World Series - Trivials

Likes timfitz63 liked this post

Corvette(s)
    1998 pace car,Impala, duramax, STS, k5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That was one of the better World Series that I can remember watching.
    Sometimes teams were dominant, sometimes they made mistakes, all in all, lots of fun to watch!

I know I sure had fun watching!

Likes Mac liked this post

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Finally, this old joke gets laid to rest... Both the Ottoman Empire and the longest drought in baseball are gone.
    It is mind-boggling, the number of commonplace things that were considered new when the Cubs last won a world Series! Just to name a few that leap to mind:

• Airplanes and automobiles were in their infancy; it wasn't uncommon to see horse-drawn carriages on dirt roads, even inside major cities. And flying was still largely considered an adventure rather than a hassle -- partly because the TSA hadn't yet been invented...
    • Electricity, indoor plumbing, and telephones were far from 'necessities' in most homes across the country...
    • If you were unable to attend the World Series in 1908, you had to wait for the newspapers to tell you what happened after the fact. Radio was still new-fangled technology, and the first public broadcast was still two years away... The use of radio to broadcast the play-by-play of sporting events was still over a decade away (1921, by KDKA in Pittsburgh to broadcast a Pirates game). Watch the game on television? Yeah, right...

And among the many things that have fallen into disuse: gold and silver coinage freely circulated in 1908...

Quote Originally Posted by tankman View Post
    That was one of the better World Series that I can remember watching.
    Sometimes teams were dominant, sometimes they made mistakes, all in all, lots of fun to watch!

I know I sure had fun watching!

I'd agree. Certainly the most engaging Series in a while. There's a report from USA Today (so take it for what it's worth...) opining that this Game 7 was the best World Series Game 7 ever. While it was a very good game, and probably ranks among the best Game 7's in World Series history, I wouldn't take it that far... And at least one reporting source dedicated to sports seem to side with me: ESPN, reported October 29, 2014 (so yeah, the reporter didn't take this year's Series into account...). Granted, I may be biased in this case; but after having the chance to watch both games in their entirety, I still have a hard time believing Game 7 of the 2016 World Series was better than Game 7 of the 1960 World Series... I open the floor to opinions on that one.

Likes Otter, Mac liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12