• Buctober Threepeat!
  • Buctober Threepeat!
  • Buctober Threepeat!
  • Buctober Threepeat!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Buctober Threepeat!

    After 20 sorrowful seasons, my Buccos have made the playoffs for three straight years!

    I thought this was a class move on the part of the Rockies:

    Pittsburgh clinched a playoff berth, so the Rockies sent over a champaign Pirates logo -- SBNation.com

    Can you hear us coming, St. Louis...?!

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  2. #2
    Member Baldie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waterloo, IL USA
    Posts
    548
    Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright Red Coupe and 2016 triple black vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Tim,

    Since I retired I rarely check CAC (too busy!) but I just happened to look at it today and saw this thread.

    Yeah, the Cardinals have done terrific this year, especially given all the injuries. I'm not so worried about your Bucs but the Cubbies seem to be coming on strong. I may have to actually apologize by my die hard Cubbie brother-in-law if they meet up with the Cards in the playoffs.

    Ron
    "Baldie88"

    Born on date May 31, 1988. This car did one lap of Indy in May 2006 for opening day ceremonies. Member St. Louis Corvette Club. NCM Member Number 518453.

  3. #3
    Buctober Threepeat! C6 CRZN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Lebanon, Mo.
    Posts
    348
    Corvette(s)
    2013 60th Anniversary Grand Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    The three teams with the best records in all of baseball in the same division, that's pretty cool. I'm heading to St. Louis Saturday to watch the Cardinals, looks like great weather for a game.

  4. #4
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    Since I retired I rarely check CAC (too busy!) but I just happened to look at it today and saw this thread.

    Yeah, the Cardinals have done terrific this year, especially given all the injuries. I'm not so worried about your Bucs but the Cubbies seem to be coming on strong. I may have to actually apologize by my die hard Cubbie brother-in-law if they meet up with the Cards in the playoffs.
    Hey, Ron!

    Well, I'm hoping the third time's the charm for the Pirates! We need to get within 3 games of the Cards to make the final showdown of the season at PNC Park the one to watch! Still a good outside chance that the Pirates can steal the division out from under the Redbirds!

    The Cubs have definitely been this season's surprise contender. If we host them in the wildcard game, we'll definitely have to take them seriously. Sorry, Chicago, but it looks like Pittsburgh will have to stand in the way of your goal of fulfilling the Back To The Future prediction...! Still, I'd rather see the Cardinals host the Cubs and take on the winner in the opening round of the NCLS...!

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  5. #5
    Member Baldie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waterloo, IL USA
    Posts
    548
    Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright Red Coupe and 2016 triple black vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Hey Tim,

    Based on the way the game ended Monday I'm thinking the Cards may do it this year. Although the shot Piscotty took to the head looked awful.

    My brother-in-law and family visited us over the weekend and forced me to watch the Cubs/Pirates game on my big screen tv. Even made me buy them pizza. Oh the horror although I secretly pulled for the Cubs. But I'll never tell them that.

    Ron
    "Baldie88"

    Born on date May 31, 1988. This car did one lap of Indy in May 2006 for opening day ceremonies. Member St. Louis Corvette Club. NCM Member Number 518453.

  6. #6
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    Hey Tim,

    Based on the way the game ended Monday I'm thinking the Cards may do it this year. Although the shot Piscotty took to the head looked awful...
    Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the game; I was traveling from Pittsburgh to Huntsville, AL, and got the bad news about the outcome when I got to Alabama...

    The Pirates have had these kinds of setbacks all year long; they'll flounder for a game or two, then get hot again. Better they lose a couple now than in another week...!

    So don't be too convinced about the Cardinals' post-season prospects; the Pirates have played the Cardinals well all season long, including those back-to-back, come-from-behind, walk-off victories right before the All-Star break! The Cards haven't seen the last of my Buccos...! Frankly, I'm more concerned about facing Arrieta in the Wildcard game than the Cards in a best-of-five NLDS...! This year, the Pirates will right the wrong of 2013...!

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    ... My brother-in-law and family visited us over the weekend and forced me to watch the Cubs/Pirates game on my big screen tv. Even made me buy them pizza. Oh the horror although I secretly pulled for the Cubs. But I'll never tell them that.
    I suppose they insisted on Chicago-style deep-dish too...
    Last edited by timfitz63; 09-30-15 at 04:24 PM.

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  7. #7
    Member Baldie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waterloo, IL USA
    Posts
    548
    Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright Red Coupe and 2016 triple black vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Hey Tim,

    With the rainout yesterday, today's double-header will be do or die for both teams. Naturally I'm pulling for the Cards to finally put your Buccos and Cubs out of their misery. And yeah, I'd be afraid of meeting Arrieta in the playoffs also.

    What were you doing in Huntsville? I lived there from 1997 to 2005 when I retired from federal civil service. Worked on the Arsenal in the Sparkman Building. We haven't been there for a number of years now but talked with our old neighbors just a couple weeks ago and they said it has really built up since we left. Traffic has gotten much worse. I think we're going to try and visit next spring.

    Now we're off to Eureka Springs, AR tomorrow for Corvette weekend. We haven't been there for about 3 years now so we're anxious to just relax for a few days.

    Ron
    "Baldie88"

    Born on date May 31, 1988. This car did one lap of Indy in May 2006 for opening day ceremonies. Member St. Louis Corvette Club. NCM Member Number 518453.

  8. #8
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    Hey Tim,

    With the rainout yesterday, today's double-header will be do or die for both teams. Naturally I'm pulling for the Cards to finally put your Buccos and Cubs out of their misery. And yeah, I'd be afraid of meeting Arrieta in the playoffs also...
    Obviously I want to see the Pirates sweep that twin-bill to keep their hopes of a division title alive. Personally, I'd rather have the Cardinals host the Cubs (and Arrieta) for the Wildcard, and let the Bucs take on on the winner of that game in the NLDS...

    Arrieta has baffled the Pirate hitters in his last two outings against them... I really hope they've seen enough of him now to be able to light him up in the Wildcard Game, if that's what it comes to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    ... What were you doing in Huntsville? I lived there from 1997 to 2005 when I retired from federal civil service. Worked on the Arsenal in the Sparkman Building. We haven't been there for a number of years now but talked with our old neighbors just a couple weeks ago and they said it has really built up since we left. Traffic has gotten much worse. I think we're going to try and visit next spring...
    I'm working a flight test program on the Arsenal; we've been here on site since the beginning of March, with a brief stint up in Colorado during July. Projected to be here through Halloween, if not into November. It's been nice here; I've got a high school buddy who works at Marshall, so we've been able to hang out quite a bit while I've been in town.

    And the traffic is pretty awful getting onto the Arsenal in the mornings. The only saving grace about getting up at o-dark-thirty for 7 AM flight briefings is that I largely beat the traffic onto the base...

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    ... Now we're off to Eureka Springs, AR tomorrow for Corvette weekend. We haven't been there for about 3 years now so we're anxious to just relax for a few days.
    Safe travels. And remember: Beat 'em Bucs!
    Last edited by timfitz63; 09-30-15 at 04:28 PM.

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  9. #9
    Buctober Threepeat! C6 CRZN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Lebanon, Mo.
    Posts
    348
    Corvette(s)
    2013 60th Anniversary Grand Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    Hey Tim,

    With the rainout yesterday, today's double-header will be do or die for both teams. Naturally I'm pulling for the Cards to finally put your Buccos and Cubs out of their misery. And yeah, I'd be afraid of meeting Arrieta in the playoffs also.

    What were you doing in Huntsville? I lived there from 1997 to 2005 when I retired from federal civil service. Worked on the Arsenal in the Sparkman Building. We haven't been there for a number of years now but talked with our old neighbors just a couple weeks ago and they said it has really built up since we left. Traffic has gotten much worse. I think we're going to try and visit next spring.

    Now we're off to Eureka Springs, AR tomorrow for Corvette weekend. We haven't been there for about 3 years now so we're anxious to just relax for a few days.

    Ron
    "Baldie88"
    Baldie88, my wife and I will be headed to Eureka Springs Friday morning. Looks like the weather will be perfect.
    PS. Go Cards

  10. #10
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Wildcard bound...

    *SIGH* I hope the Bucs aren't running out of gas... They sure looked pitiful in the second game of that double-header... Frankly, I don't know what Hurdle was thinking, putting in Morton to start a do-or-die game...

    So congratulations to the Cardinals on their third straight NL Central title. For the Pirates, it's now a matter of holding off the Cubs so we can host the Wildcard game... Gotta win at least two against the Reds... And get ready for Arrieta...

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  11. #11
    Member Baldie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waterloo, IL USA
    Posts
    548
    Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright Red Coupe and 2016 triple black vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    I'm just getting to this thread since we've been at Eureka Springs for the past 4 days. Beautiful weather but attendance still seems to be down again. It seems like this is a common thread in the car shows or events I've been attending the past few years. Anyway we had a great time and are looking forward to doing it again next year.

    I'm glad the Cards made it to the playoffs but they sure have stunk recently against the Braves. Anyway I'll be watching the game on Tuesday to see if we're playing the Buccos or Cubbies. I think I'd rather take on your Buccos right now Tim because the Cubs sure have seemed to be on fire lately. It will be interesting to see which of the three teams come out on top next year.

    Tim, I'm glad you are enjoying Huntsville. We lived on County Line Road in Madison. There was hardly anything between there and Wall Triana. Now I think it's all businesses. Too bad the roads never kept up with the growth. We would have stayed there but moved back to the St. Louis area to be near our kids and family.

    Ron
    "Baldie88"

    Born on date May 31, 1988. This car did one lap of Indy in May 2006 for opening day ceremonies. Member St. Louis Corvette Club. NCM Member Number 518453.

  12. #12
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    ... I'm glad the Cards made it to the playoffs but they sure have stunk recently against the Braves. Anyway I'll be watching the game on Tuesday to see if we're playing the Buccos or Cubbies. I think I'd rather take on your Buccos right now Tim because the Cubs sure have seemed to be on fire lately. It will be interesting to see which of the three teams come out on top next year...
    Well, the Pirates didn't exactly finish strongly either; perhaps better than the Cardinals did, but certainly not as strongly as the Cubs... I ended up holding my breath to see where the Wildcard Game was going to be played; a few weeks ago it seemed like it was almost certainly going to be in Pittsburgh...! But hopefully the Cubbies have now run their course... They're due for a loss -- and the Pirates are just the band of misfits to hand them one...!

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    ... Tim, I'm glad you are enjoying Huntsville. We lived on County Line Road in Madison. There was hardly anything between there and Wall Triana. Now I think it's all businesses. Too bad the roads never kept up with the growth. We would have stayed there but moved back to the St. Louis area to be near our kids and family.
    My buddy had been living out in Madison, but moved while I've been in town to an area closer to downtown Huntsville. Madison is definitely growing by leaps and bounds; but Greater Huntsville does seem to be lagging behind in infrastructure development...

    Nevertheless, like you, my buddy is fond of this area as well. I expect he'll stay here until he retires; perhaps even retire here.

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  13. #13
    Member Baldie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waterloo, IL USA
    Posts
    548
    Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright Red Coupe and 2016 triple black vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Hey Tim,

    First off I'm sorry your Buccos got beat by the Cubs. Right now I'm watching Game 4 and the Cubs are pounding my Cards so it looks like this is the year of the Cubbies. If the Cards can't do it then I hope the Cubs go all the way. It's been a while for them.

    In my previous thread I mentioned my sister and brother-in-law are big Cubs fan. They got to see Game 3 and it was an expensive outing. 4 tickets in the upper section was $1500. Cost them $150 to park. Food was outrageous and then on the way home they wrecked their car. A very expensive way to see a playoff game! On the other hand I did read that Mayor Emmanual and all the alderman got prime tickets at face value. Got to love the Chicago way.

    Ron
    "Baldie88"

    Born on date May 31, 1988. This car did one lap of Indy in May 2006 for opening day ceremonies. Member St. Louis Corvette Club. NCM Member Number 518453.

  14. #14
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    Hey Tim,

    First off I'm sorry your Buccos got beat by the Cubs. Right now I'm watching Game 4 and the Cubs are pounding my Cards so it looks like this is the year of the Cubbies. If the Cards can't do it then I hope the Cubs go all the way. It's been a while for them...
    Thanks, Ron. Yeah, big disappointment there. For you as well, I imagine, given the outcome of the NLDS. I've been on the road for several days now, so I didn't have a chance to post my thoughts on the topic yet...

    As a Pirates fan, I guess I can sum it all up by saying: I haven't decided which is more heartbreaking; twenty straight losing seasons, or having your team play its heart out all season long, then not show up for the most important game of the season to that point -- two years in a row...

    As for the Cubs: yeah, they're looking like a team destined for something... Maybe the Back To The Future franchise writers got it right 30 years ago...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    Hey Tim,

    ... In my previous thread I mentioned my sister and brother-in-law are big Cubs fan. They got to see Game 3 and it was an expensive outing. 4 tickets in the upper section was $1500. Cost them $150 to park. Food was outrageous and then on the way home they wrecked their car. A very expensive way to see a playoff game! On the other hand I did read that Mayor Emmanual and all the alderman got prime tickets at face value. Got to love the Chicago way.
    Geez! That's just robbery! I realize Cubs fans are hungry to see a World Series, but if that's going to be the street pricing structure for the NLDS, I don't even want to speculate on ticket prices for the Series!

    Not surprising that the city's boss -- er, mayor -- got tickets without the heavy mark-up. I wouldn't pay $1,500 to sit in the Pirates' dugout for Game 7 of the World Series, let alone a game in the NLDS...!

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Similar Threads

  1. Buctober Is Back!
    By timfitz63 in forum Sports Lounge
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-02-14, 08:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •