Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Buctober Is Back!

Well, I got my first two wishes of the 2014 baseball season: the Pirates have secured a winning record and, with last night's victory, a second consecutive playoff berth. Last year was not a fluke! Plus, with five games remaining and only 1.5 games out of the division lead, the Buccos stand a very good chance of taking the NL Central! That would be wish Number 3... I don't want to jinx anything past that, but I do hold out hope for Wishes 4 and 5...

Let's Go Bucs!

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thumbs up Go Cards, they need to keep their bats active...

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I still got my hopes that my ROYALS will come through and make it to the playoffs.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Toms007 View Post
    I still got my hopes that my ROYALS will come through and make it to the playoffs.
    Good chance of that; they're holding one of the AL Wildcard spots at the moment.

Well, the Bucs missed an opportunity to gain more ground on those pesky Redbirds... Both they and the Cards lost tonight...

Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright Red Coupe and 2016 triple black vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My Cardinals are definitely making it "interesting" with these last few games. And how the hell do they lose to the Cubs of all clubs?! My brother-in-law won't let me forget that. But as I drive by Busch Stadium everyday I've noticed in the last few weeks they have been sprucing it up for the playoffs.

And my congratulations to the Pirates. We're kind of used to winning here in St. Louis and the Bucs not necessarily so.

Ron
    "Baldie88"

Born on date May 31, 1988. This car did one lap of Indy in May 2006 for opening day ceremonies. Member St. Louis Corvette Club. NCM Member Number 518453.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I hope so too. I'm a season ticket holder for the Burlington Royals, the rookie league affiliate of KC. Some of the Royals were here just a year or two ago.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    My Cardinals are definitely making it "interesting" with these last few games. And how the hell do they lose to the Cubs of all clubs?! My brother-in-law won't let me forget that. But as I drive by Busch Stadium everyday I've noticed in the last few weeks they have been sprucing it up for the playoffs...
    I imagine it will get even more interesting when the Bucs swing back into town during the playoffs... Even though the current scenario has the Pirates hosting the Giants for the NL Wildcard game, with the winner of that taking on the Nationals, I've got a sneaking suspicion that the Pirates and the Cardinals have not yet seen the last of each other this season... No disrespect to the Cardinals intended: but I'm hoping that they get to watch from home this year as the Pirates play in the World Series...

Quote Originally Posted by Baldie88 View Post
    ... And my congratulations to the Pirates. We're kind of used to winning here in St. Louis and the Bucs not necessarily so.
    Thanks, Ron! The Pirates have played outstanding baseball during September -- and I'm obviously hoping that continues through October. Just around Labor Day, there was some question if they'd even make the playoffs -- despite the strong likelihood that they would turn in another winning record. The NL Central is just so competitive -- I don't think anyone expected the Brewers to be in first place as late into the season as they managed -- and the Pirates weren't even holding a Wildcard spot! The probabilities at that point were that the Buccos stood a roughly 1-in-5 chance of making the playoffs. But the Pirates surged as September progressed, the Braves and the Brew Crew faded, and here we stand -- on the cusp of another Buctober!

There was a time in my youth when I remember the Pirates as perennial contenders. I guess I got spoiled growing up in Pittsburgh during the '70's: the Pirates were always in the thick of the pennant race, with two World Series championships to their name; and the Steelers were in their dynasty years on the road to four Super Bowl victories.

But for some reason, the trauma of 1992 became so hard to put behind us... Twenty-one years until another winning season and playoff appearance... Still, I'd like to see something significant for the Pirates in the number 21 -- the dawn of better things... And in the number 35: those are the number of years since the Pirates' last World Series victory (1979) -- which, coincidentally, equals the number of years in their longest World Series 'drought' (1925-1960)... Let's talk the number 5... The Pirates turned a 5-4-3 triple play at home on 14 September -- their first since 1979! The triple play in 1979 was begun by Bill Madlock -- who wore number 5 for the Pirates; this time, by Josh Harrison -- who also wears number 5! Three outs on a ball fielded by number 5 -- 3 & 5 -- 35... Yeah, maybe I'm reaching there... But hopefully the stars are aligning for the Buccos... And with the Orioles in the playoff picture this year, could we see a re-match of 1971 and 1979 all over again...? Only time will tell...!

Corvette(s)
    2013 60th Anniversary Grand Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Nothing like the playoffs, go St. Louis.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default The Bucs inch still closer to NL Central lead!

Raise the Jolly Roger! The Pirates took the Braves over their knee this evening, winning 10-1 and gaining a half-game on the inactive Cards. With their loss to the Reds, Milwaukee is now mathematically eliminated from the Wildcard and the National League teams are all set: it will be some not-quite-determined combination of (in alphabetical order) the Cardinals, the Dodgers, the Giants, the Nationals, and the Pirates.

So, with three games remaining for both teams, the NL Central title essentially comes down to this: will the Reds spoil it for the Pirates; or will the Diamondbacks spoil it for the Cardinals...? Both teams are in the playoffs, regardless; but who plays the Giants in the Wildcard game, and who advances straight to the NLDS against the Dodgers...? The NL Central is going right down to the wire, folks -- and a tie-breaker game is not yet out of the question...!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Stumbled across this video production yesterday, set to Aerosmith's "Dream On," that was released near the beginning of the 2014 season. I think it does a good job of encapsulating the bittersweet agony, now turned to joy, experienced by Pirates fans over the past few decades.

I thought the sequence starting at 3:03 was particularly effective in conveying that feeling, where flashback footage of the final play of Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS was interwoven with the eerily similar final play in Chicago last year, now dubbed the "Curse Reverser" by Pirates fans. That dramatic win against the Cubs literally secured the Pirates their first playoff appearance in 21 years -- and finally laid the ghosts of '92 to rest...!

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My Royals clinched a spot for the first time since 1985...it was a long time coming.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My Royals clinched a spot for the first time since 1985...it was a long time coming.
    Yeah, I saw that; congratulations! I remember watching Game 6 of the '85 "I-70" World Series at my then-girlfriend's house in Pittsburgh. After the Royals rallied to win that game in the bottom of the 9th (in deference to Cards fans, with a bit of help from a blown call at first), I boldly proclaimed to her that they'd win the Series. And they did...!

Well, the Buccos won tonight ... but so did the Cards. So we're still a game out of the NL Central lead... I thought the D-backs might sink the Redbirds; they had an early lead on them, but couldn't hold on... We'll get 'em tomorrow!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Well, no NL Central title this year for the Pirates...

Looks like the Bucs fell on their own swords (or bats, as the case may be), dropping two to the Reds yesterday and today... That effectively eliminates them from any chance at the NL Central title, regardless of what the Redbirds do today...

So, the Giants make the long trek to Pittsburgh for the NL Wildcard game, with the winner meeting the Nationals; and the Cards head to LA.

Expect PNC Park to be rockin' on Wednesday night!

Corvette(s)
    2013 60th Anniversary Grand Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Good luck to the Bucs, I would like to see the Central Division move two teams forward.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by C6 CRZN View Post
    Good luck to the Bucs, I would like to see the Central Division move two teams forward.
    Thanks! And to your Cards as well! We'll see you guys in the NLCS...!

Also, congratulations to the Cards for their second straight NL Central title. The Pirates got a bit closer to the top of the heap this year, so maybe next year will be our turn...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast