$projecthp
  • L@@ked @ some HD's today, the V-Rods look nice...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    L@@ked @ some HD's today, the V-Rods look nice... 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag L@@ked @ some HD's today, the V-Rods look nice...

L@@ked @ some HD's today, the V-Rods look nice... C6 CRZN's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2013 60th Anniversary Grand Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes they do, and I didn't go check them out and eat all their food at their open house.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default You and Di should have made it...

Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

As much as I enjoy my Harley, I don't know if I would go HD again or not. In case you weren't aware, HD gets the same kind of "treatment" that Corvettes do... extra cost for insurance, extra cost for parts, etc etc... It is frustrating to always end up paying more for no other reason than the name on the side.

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yep, back in the day that'd bother me Mac. These days money is not as much of an issue as it once was. I've decided to forgo a C7, so old Yellar will continue to see mods and enhancements over the years. I'm directing my "want" desire toward an HD, and the V-Rods seem to perform well and are priced somewhat reasonable. Ain't in any hurry, but Lord willing, I'll have one in the garage someday.

Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If I was buying, the V-Rod would be on the short list. Nice bike.

My current ride is a 1980 Super Glide, 4-5/8" S&S wheels, Axtell 3-13/16" barrels, heads are done, dual plugs, dual fire (two coils not waste spark) S&S 495 cam, .495 lift 274 duration, S&S 2" Super etc. The transmission is Andrews gears and shafts, Barnett multi-plate clutch and springs.
    I built it and others and a bud does the machine work (open the spigots).

All my hobbies have torque or recoil.

Mac
    Back when it meant something, HD stood for hundred dollar. However, Europeans are not a cheap date and although third in after purchase costs, neither a Japanese. At least with HD and Euro, resale values hold a lot stronger. None of them are inexpensive.

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Blasphamy.......Hog's have to be air cooled......and sound like God intended them to sound.....and not have an engine designed by Pooorcha......

On the other hand I always have wanted to take one for a ride.....to feel the smooth effortless power and not have to wear earplugs so I can hear something after a days ride........and not have the engine shake while at idle......hmmm...wish they'd put that motor in a bagger.....

Corvette(s)
    2009 LS3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The nice thing about Harleys is they make enough different models that everybody can find one they like.

Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by kpic View Post
    Mac
    Back when it meant something, HD stood for hundred dollar. However, Europeans are not a cheap date and although third in after purchase costs, neither a Japanese. At least with HD and Euro, resale values hold a lot stronger. None of them are inexpensive.
    I haven't had a Japanese bike since the late 90s. At that point, servicing my 1986 Suzuki GS550EF was cheap.

The insurance wasn't expensive either but it was below that magical 600cc line above which insurance gets ridiculous.

My current ride is a 2006 HD FLHP 1450cc. Although I know it isn't fair to compare costs since we're talking completely different bikes plus I've moved to a different area where insurance is handled differently, it still grinds my gears to pay so much more for everything.

I haven't owned a Euro bike. A buddy had an Italian bike for a while... a Ducati 1100 "Monster" and he said servicing was massively expensive. Oil changes & check up in the $400 range...

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    1969 427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Hogley Furguson

Hey 6er, You have a good idea there, that V-Rod goes! I think Harley needs to follow up on that scoot with updates and such. Well, it's water-cooled but there's plenty of Air Hogs too. I picked up a 2008 Low Rider a couple months ago after being Harley-less for 20 years. I'll tell ya this: that bike AIN"T SLOW!! 96 cu.in. into a 6-speed - plenty of go-power for reality (read lines of trucks on the highway). I would like to sell it so I could pick up a new Switchback (damn goofy name), a touring scoot done up on the Dyna frame like the old FLH.
    Also in the All-American dept. are the Victory, with it's swoopy styling, and the new Indians - both fine Polaris products. Then, you have Motus, with their half-a-smallblock Chevy engines, and the Hellcat from Alabama.
    On the British side, you have the return of Norton, with the new 961 commando in 3 variants.
    I could go on but you get the idea.
    If ya pick up a scoot though, stay alert, sunny-side up and all that.
    All the best

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Back in the day, dirt to the ultimate kaw...

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag Thanks for all y'all's replies, I'll enjoy the hunt for a nice tweaked v-rod...

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Speaking of old dirt bikes......anyone know what this is...? I found it several years back in an old garage. The guy had bought it new in 1964 and had kept it for 50 years.....I finally got it bought not to long ago and will start to restore it hopefully this winter......I bought one like it in 1968 when I was at college to get around on and had several more back in the day. It's a 64 Honda CL72 250cc Scrambler.....the 250 was one year only and then they went to 305's.......whoa....we are talking big inch now....this bike has the holes in the end of the exhaust pipes for snuffers to keep it quiet around town and then open it up when you wanted some noise...... I do have the heat shields for the pipes.......I need the correct handlebars though.....EBay time.....

Last edited by Huskerman; 08-24-14 at 10:43 PM.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here is what they looked like out of the box.......mmmmm.....17 second 1/4 mile...... well I guess that's not bad for 25 hp.....It's what I started riding on......in 71 I bought a 69 HD Sportster and the rest is history..... From Sporty's to Pans to Shovels to Twin Cams.....lots of fun......

Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Confederate Motorcycles Home of the Hellcat. A lawyer was the money behind the Confederate line. Big engines and I don't know if they still flip the transmission.

I have to dig to find a picture of my Panhead. Rigid and same deal as usual big barrels and long stroke; re-worked an aluminum drag frame to get the weight off. 105" and it wasn't heavy, so it was quick. Best way to build a customer base is ride what you sell.

Not a good picture but...

My bud and I had a shop for 20 years until I moved to Detroit. Un-authorized sales and service. Anything from tune ups to rebuilds; plus fun stuff, Shov-ster, 45 Magnum, S&S kits.

Another bud owned (still does) a Kaw GPz 1100, put some kind of big bore on it; flat slide Mikunis. Ran mid-10s w/o an air shifter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast