$projecthp
  • BBC Top Gear is back...
  • BBC Top Gear is back...
  • BBC Top Gear is back...
  • BBC Top Gear is back...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Member LLC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wa.
    Posts
    2,266
    Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    I finally caught a few rerun episodes of the new Top Gear formulation (Mark I) with Matt LeBlanc and Chris Evans as the presenters. I agree: pretty lame. It only took one season before Evans quit. Why? Apparently on-screen professionalism alone just wasn't cutting it; the chemistry with LeBlanc just wasn't there. Over the past few weeks, the advertisements for the second season/iteration of the new Top Gear have been run pretty regularly on BBC America, still with LeBlanc and the Stig -- plus two new blokes I've never seen before.

    So is anyone surprised that, like every other Top Gear spin-off, this one is suffering a slow death...? Given the apparent success of The Grand Tour, anyone care to lay odds on how long it is before the BBC has to can Top Gear -- or eat crow by bringing back Clarkson, Hammond, and May...?

    I wonder: what kind of wine goes with crow...?


    Yeah, the BBC really screwed the pooch by getting rid of their cash cow of Clarkson, Hammond, and May. It's a joke to even still use the name "Top gear" in their new versions, it's that bad.

    I doubt Clarkson, or May and Hammond, would ever go back to the BBC after that debacle. Not enough wine in paradise to cover up that much crow........
    Master Technician

    25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

    22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes timfitz63 liked this post

  2. #17
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Yeah, the BBC really screwed the pooch by getting rid of their cash cow of Clarkson, Hammond, and May. It's a joke to even still use the name "Top gear" in their new versions, it's that bad.

    I doubt Clarkson, or May and Hammond, would ever go back to the BBC after that debacle. Not enough wine in paradise to cover up that much crow........
    You're probably correct: Clarkson, Hammond, and May have absolutely no reason to go back to the BBC, given the success of their new program. They must be laughing their a$$es off right now -- not with Top Gear, but at it...

    Speaking of which: the only time I laughed during the couple of new episodes I watched was when, after LeBlanc/Evans feigned the use of Clarkson's signature sign-off ("And on that bombshell...") on a previous episode, one of their guests 'accidentally' said it anyway at the close of the subsequent episode. They've got LeBlanc trying to do dry British-style humor, and it doesn't convey well; maybe it gets lost in the accent -- or maybe LeBlanc just isn't well-suited to that style of humor...? I'm not sure which at this point... And the Stig seems to have been reduced to an afterthought; LeBlanc/Evans couldn't even seem to do the traditional Stig introduction ("Some say...") well... It all just seemed like a cheap Xerox of the original -- just like the other ones...

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  3. #18
    Member LLC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wa.
    Posts
    2,266
    Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    You're probably correct: Clarkson, Hammond, and May have absolutely no reason to go back to the BBC, given the success of their new program. They must be laughing their a$$es off right now -- not with Top Gear, but at it...

    Speaking of which: the only time I laughed during the couple of new episodes I watched was when, after LeBlanc/Evans feigned the use of Clarkson's signature sign-off ("And on that bombshell...") on a previous episode, one of their guests 'accidentally' said it anyway at the close of the subsequent episode. They've got LeBlanc trying to do dry British-style humor, and it doesn't convey well; maybe it gets lost in the accent -- or maybe LeBlanc just isn't well-suited to that style of humor...? I'm not sure which at this point... And the Stig seems to have been reduced to an afterthought; LeBlanc/Evans couldn't even seem to do the traditional Stig introduction ("Some say...") well... It all just seemed like a cheap Xerox of the original -- just like the other ones...

    Lets face it, Le Blanc just isn't funny. No one on the phony/imitation "Top Gear" is.

    I really like "The American" (Mike Skinner) on the real Top Gear show (The Grand Tour), they use him perfectly. Not really big on the track though, seems to be an afterthought.

    Amazon seems to be letting the boys run with it, doing what they do best, and that's a good thing IMHO.
    Master Technician

    25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

    22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes Mac liked this post

  4. #19
    Administrator Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canuckistan
    Posts
    5,474
    Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    It's pretty hard to capture, let alone recreate, the kind of chemistry between the Orangutang, Captain Slow and the Hamster...

    I'm surprised the BBC even tried. They might have stood a better chance to simply start with a blank sheet. The BBC should know
    better!!

    Take the example of Dr Who... Each new Doctor has his own quirks and way of doing business. Most of the background stays the same (the Tardis, the sonic screwdriver and the assorted bad'uns) but the Doctor accumulates a new helper etc... Would the new TopGear have worked better if the new crew did their own thing... same track, same studio... with original ideas rather than trying to have the new crew walking through the paces of the old crew?

    Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.



  5. #20
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    It's pretty hard to capture, let alone recreate, the kind of chemistry between the Orangutang, Captain Slow and the Hamster...

    I'm surprised the BBC even tried. They might have stood a better chance to simply start with a blank sheet. The BBC should know
    better!!

    Take the example of Dr Who... Each new Doctor has his own quirks and way of doing business. Most of the background stays the same (the Tardis, the sonic screwdriver and the assorted bad'uns) but the Doctor accumulates a new helper etc... Would the new TopGear have worked better if the new crew did their own thing... same track, same studio... with original ideas rather than trying to have the new crew walking through the paces of the old crew?
    The same line of thinking crossed my mind as well. In not so many words the BBC is kind-of acknowledging that they had a good thing in Top Gear -- and knows it -- but made a poor decision when dealing with their show personnel. They wanted to make an example of Clarkson, didn't count on Hammond and May's reaction, and are now trying to cover that over by making it appear like the format -- not the presenters -- was what made the show so popular.

    I'm not saying the Clarkson was probably the easiest TV star to deal with; even his cohorts recognized it. Just that the situation that led to the team's departure definitely could have been handled much better -- to everyone's benefit. Including the show's fans...

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  6. #21
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    I've notice that BBC America has started periodically re-running the Clarkson/Hammond/May Top Gear episodes again -- and that the reconstituted British-based show seems to have gone out of production. Perhaps that was to make way for the 'new' Top Gear America show...?

    Speaking of the latter program, I just finished watching an episode of it for the first time. I'm sorry (but not surprised) to report that it's as equally lame as every other Top Gear spin-off that's been launched...

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  7. #22
    Administrator Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canuckistan
    Posts
    5,474
    Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    I've notice that BBC America has started periodically re-running the Clarkson/Hammond/May Top Gear episodes again -- and that the reconstituted British-based show seems to have gone out of production. Perhaps that was to make way for the 'new' Top Gear America show...?

    Speaking of the latter program, I just finished watching an episode of it for the first time. I'm sorry (but not surprised) to report that it's as equally lame as every other Top Gear spin-off that's been launched...
    The BBC will never admit that they screwed up but they really did drop the ball. That being said, from what I've read lately, the BBC is embracing intersectional social justice moon battery... Established entertainers are being let go because they're white males. Disproportionate numbers of culturally diverse representatives are being hired. Basically, they're making television unwatchable for the average individual... and that's what is happening. People are dropping their cable and moving to watching alternatives on the internet.

    Oh and the next Doctor is a feminist.

    Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.



  8. #23
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / South & Centrl TX
    Posts
    1,141
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    The BBC will never admit that they screwed up but they really did drop the ball...
    Concur. And I agree that we'll never hear them publicly admit it. But every time they air another re-worked version of Top Gear, I honestly think it should be renamed Flop Gear...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    ... That being said, from what I've read lately, the BBC is embracing intersectional social justice moon battery... Established entertainers are being let go because they're white males. Disproportionate numbers of culturally diverse representatives are being hired. Basically, they're making television unwatchable for the average individual... and that's what is happening. People are dropping their cable and moving to watching alternatives on the internet...
    Not wanting to take this down a rabbit hole more suited to "The Edge," but I've noticed the same thing in all network programming, not just the BBC. And the reaction you describe is the only realistic solution to rotten programming: just say "no" (i.e., stop watching it)...

    When the revenue stops coming in, perhaps all of these networks will re-think their programming...? But again -- realistically -- even with dwindling subscribers/viewership, they'll just continue to push the same failed programming even harder; like with the never-ending string of reconstituted Top Gear programs we're getting now -- each more 'diverse' and banal than the last...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    ... Oh and the next Doctor is a feminist.
    I've heard those reports as well; and again, I'm not a bit surprised they want to push a female Dr. Who. Fits right in with everything else that's been going on with network programming... Probably why BBC America now airs re-runs of Star Trek: Voyager practically every day of the week too...

    It's OK. YouTube still has lots of archived episodes of the real Top Gear and MST3k that I can stream via my laptop...

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow
    Likes Mac liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Press Release: New Products Corporation Highlights Corvette at Back-to-Back Events
    By Rob in forum News and Announcements Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-14, 12:39 PM
  2. Johnson your back-to-back Brickyard winner
    By 6 Shooter in forum Autocrossing and Motorsports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-27-09, 10:44 AM
  3. Callaway Z06R-GT3 wins back to back 1-2 in Brno!!
    By Tman08 in forum Callaway Corvette Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-25-07, 12:10 PM
  4. Bronze headlight gear??? Is the gear my problem???
    By Steve92LT1 in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-11-03, 09:45 PM
  5. Speedo Gear For 4.11 Gear 700r4
    By fasterthanu in forum C3 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-26-02, 11:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •