• Tesla Energy announcement
  • Tesla Energy announcement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsredvette View Post
    I truly hope that Musk can come up with a viable system. Think of how helpful it could be in a disaster situation. Have some sort of flatbed mounted system that could roll up to a site and be ready to roll...
    Wouldn't bother me in the least if he did; I'm all for improving life and reducing wasteful practices. The main thing to which I object is the path we (as a society) seem to be taking in trying to get there. Rather than letting technology develop in due course, keeping what is best and moving forward from whatever doesn't work, there seems to be a growing trend to embrace a [politically] attractive concept before it is demonstrated to be truly viable -- either financially or technologically...

Yes, I realize all inventions and developments sometimes require time to become fully realized; Edison didn't develop the incandescent light bulb in one try. But the lightbulb came to market -- and was successful -- based on its own merits and the consumers' demand for it; not because political interests lobbied to subsidize its development and accelerate its introduction simply because they were enamored with the concept...

... Not a big fan of solar and wind power either, don't see a good way to store the power generated by them...
    Well, the main detractors with solar and wind energy are collection efficiency and equipment costs -- in addition to power storage for use during nighttime hours, overcast conditions, and/or calm winds. if Tesla can develop a viable and cost-effective battery storage system that has the capacity to harness and deliver the power demanded, solar and wind power would become more viable energy sources. But I say: let him do it on his own dime, just like Edison did...

... I'll stick my foot in my mouth,,,, I'm a fan of nukes, as long as they're not built on a fault line or on the coast.......
    Nuclear [fission] power seems to be on the opposite end of the spectrum: a large and relatively efficient power-production capability, saddled with obviously detrimental waste byproducts and operational safety concerns. Coal-fired plants have similar pros and cons. Hydroelectric, geothermal, and tidal plants are effectively restricted to regions having geographical attributes favorable to those methods of power production.

Once again, there's just no perfect solution...

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    Once again, there's just no perfect solution...
    Tis the nature of the beast.

I'm with Scott re: nuclear power but, if anything, I'm more radical.

I propose they build nuclear power plants in the area of the bitumen fields of Alberta. One of the cleanest methods of separating oil from the sands is heat... which is a natural byproduct of nuclear fission. So produce electricity, use the heat to extract and refine the oil sands... become an energy supplier rather than just shipping the raw bitumen to be processed elsewhere, especially since many of the refineries are close to oceans where spills are much more difficult to deal with.

I'm fairly sure if the eco-wackos heard my proposal, they would have a collective conniption.

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Likes Scottsredvette liked this post

Tesla Energy announcement ROCKETBLOCK's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Maybe in a few years when they get the price down and have better capacity,,,, until then, I'm more that happy with my natural gas powered 11 kw whole house generator. And, installed price under 6 grand including the auto transfer switch.

Tesla's New Battery Doesn't Work That Well With Solar - Bloomberg Business
    He Scottsredvette; Price and capacity are still in the (not too) far future. If there is a large power outage in your area you aint gonna get "natural" gas to run that generator. How do you think natural gas is delivered? I have a whole house generator and it costs a lot of $$$ in natural gas to run it. My guess is several hundred dollars a month. I think we are talking apples and oranges here.

Rod

A Proud Army Aviation Veteran

"Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Tesla Energy announcement Scottsredvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1989 Bright Red Convertible (gone) 98 Jaguar XK8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKETBLOCK View Post
    He Scottsredvette; Price and capacity are still in the (not too) far future. If there is a large power outage in your area you aint gonna get "natural" gas to run that generator. How do you think natural gas is delivered? I have a whole house generator and it costs a lot of $$$ in natural gas to run it. My guess is several hundred dollars a month. I think we are talking apples and oranges here.

Rod
    I've had more power outages (thank-you Consumers) in the two years I've been back in Michigan than I ever had in 38 years in Colorado, and I was on an REA out in the middle of nowhere. Longest here being almost two weeks. Never lost the natural gas in any of our Michigan outages. I powered the furnace with a small 2kw Honda gasoline generator. That was a problem seeing as how I had to drive to the next town to find a gas station with electricity to pump gasoline. And, that poor little 2kw couldn't run much. If I lose natural gas, well, that probably means I've lost the house or neighborhood. I'm guessing a battery system wouldn't survive a catastrophe either.
    My brother in law and sister live south about 50 miles and were out for almost a month last year. Cost him $150.00 to run his whole house generator for that one.
    I don't like making plans for the day. The word "premeditated" is not useful when it gets thrown around a courtroom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12