Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Historic events this weekend

Not sure how many here are music fans, but this weekend marks a Historic event, one that influenced me even though I was just a kid (9 years old). What is it, you ask? The arrival of the Beatles and Beatlemania. I remember the excitement and the craziness that Beatlemania was. In honor of the historic event, many radio stations are hosting Beatle weekends, there is a special TV program on CBS Sunday night with the two surviving Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. The "Ed Sullivan Theater" in New York unveiled a retro Marquee the mimics the original from 50 years ago.

Ed Sullivan Theater Unveils Marquee To Mark 50 Years Since Beatles CBS New York

Beatlemania, if you didn't experience, or don't remember it was unbelievable.

http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c... - YouTube</a>

http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c... - YouTube</a>

Obviously I'm a Beatles fan. Even though they went through a "strange time" in the middle of their run, I could relate to the music. The effects they had on music and the music industry is massive and felt even today. My belief is, what we listen to today is directly related to what the Beatles did in those early years of Beatlemania. They were such a great influence on most of the music at the time, hundreds of bands tried to sound like, look like and mimic them. They opened the floodgates for other acts from Britain, what has become known as the "British Invasion".

Yes, whether you liked their music or not, what we listen to today, is all because of them (IMO). Todays musicians are influenced by the Beatles, whether they know it or not. Never has there been another band that has had so much impact. Records that they set, back in the middle 60's still stand today. And it is doubtful some of them will ever be surpassed.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I knew them before they 'made it', as, when they came to London to see their manager, they went to the 'Horse and Groom', in Groom Place, SW1. at lunch time which was where I used to imbibe, when working at 'Gulf Oil . They were all friendly and 'down to earth', with one exception, and we would chat about generalities, whilst enjoying 'a pint'.....Roger.
    Last edited by roger longman; 02-07-14 at 06:42 PM.

Historic events this weekend ROCKETBLOCK's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Missed Beatlemania. I was in the Army. Not sure that I care.

A Proud Army Aviation Veteran

"Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by roger longman View Post
    I knew them before they 'made it', as, when they came to London to see their manager, they went to the 'Horse and Groom', in Groom Place, SW1. at lunch time which was where I used to imbibe, when working at 'Gulf Oil . They were all friendly and 'down to earth', with one exception, and we would chat about generalities, whilst enjoying 'a pint'.....Roger.

That's pretty cool Roger.

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    , IL)

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Watched the tribute to the Beatles. It was pretty good, but I wasn't to thrilled with some of the versions of the songs done. They kept showing people there, and it would have nice to have known who they were. Some I did know, but some I had no idea.

It was neat to see Paul and Ringo together performing.

, IL)

Corvette(s)
    2001 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by roger longman View Post
    Have read alot of stories of McCartney riding the subways and exploring the cities on his own where he has played over the past 10, 15 yrs. Shocking people that he is by himself, without an entourage, and just talking with people. My b-in-law manages a stadium where he played recently and he said that McCartney is the ONLY big star he has even talked to, he normally just deals with roadies/managers. He was amazed at how down to earth and personable he was. I was a big Beatles fan back in the day but wasn't even considering going to that concert, thinking it would be some old guy trying to capture his glory days again. Anyway, had free tix so I went..and I was amazed, McCartney and his band put on one heck of a concert. Lots of energy, lots of rapport with the crowd. I've been to tons of concerts over the last 45 yrs, this concert was solidly in my top five.