$projecthp
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Right now, Rosie and I are planning on heading south next weekend to the "Bud Roast". Have we heard about a time for that? I would also like to attend the memorial service in May, but that a much tougher one for me to get away to go to.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Toms007 View Post
    Right now, Rosie and I are planning on heading south next weekend to the "Bud Roast". Have we heard about a time for that? I would also like to attend the memorial service in May, but that a much tougher one for me to get away to go to.
    I sent a note and Nancy. Here's the reply...

Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy
    Hi, Mac,

Yes. The roast is scheduled for1:00 pm. We were going to do
    it at Bud's regular time of 10:30 am, but Roasters has a big
    rush before and after church and it quiets down after 1:00 and
    the baristas thought this time would be better.

Also just got off the phone with Chances R restaurant in York,
    NE. We will have a gathering there after Bud's service on May22. Chances R has been in business, in one form or another,
    since 1935, I believe. Bud and I have been there many times ...
    exceptional food and a York landmark.

Nancy
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Likes GerryLP liked this post

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That makes it easier to get there in time. Thanks, Mac.

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    , IL)

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Toms007 View Post
    That makes it easier to get there in time. Thanks, Mac.
    I wish I was close enough to join the group.

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss geekinavette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    84 Z51 auto R.I.P. 89 black roadster SOLD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Zach and I are planning on going.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Cool, We'll see you there, Bill

, IL)

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss 22229stingray81's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1981 white/blue interior automatic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yoda gave me my still-sticking nickname here on the CAC. I was 16 or 17 at the time, and he has always been the first person to jump in and help when I have a question. He also is the first person I think of when I think about the CAC. I miss you, Bud.

-Tatortot
    Last edited by 22229stingray81; 04-10-15 at 12:52 AM.
    22229th Vette in '81
    Thanks Mac thanked for this post
    Likes hoosierdaddy liked this post

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss GerryLP's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default A day late and a dollar short, yet with a heavy heart

I just found out about Bud's passing yesterday. And I feel like such a bad friend for not finding sooner, but a smile formed on my face about something that happened a few weeks back that helps explain that perhaps Bud tried to tell me.

I believe the last time I spoke with him was in early November, 2014. He was ribbing me pretty good for not stopping by in August, when I drove through Amarillo. Nevertheless, he sounded in very high spirits, and it seemed to me that perhaps he had made it through the other side of his recovery, and there were indicators to promise a positive recovery. After talking for nearly an hour, he ribbed me one last time for not stopping by. hahahaha. I apologized to him again.

Driving through Amarillo last August 2nd, he and Nancy were on my mind. I wondered if he was home...if he was in Phoenix, or perhaps back to Houston. I wished I could help Nancy with this burden, but I know she would not have it any other way. I even felt bad for his beloved Sophie. She followed him everywhere and anywhere, although I teased him many times that she would only when Nancy was not around. hahahaha. Dogs are wise about these things, and she surely worried for her daddy. I told him that I could step-in anytime and help with his transport (albeit, not in the Vette, for it would tear him up), but he never took me up on my offers. He would say Nancy and I got this, and smile. But on that Saturday, I worried that he endured so many trips back and forth to the hospital, that I thought perhaps he was not home that late afternoon Saturday, and chose instead to continue towards New Mexico.

I am thankful to have logged thousands of miles along Bud, on the highway and on the information superhighway. I first met him through The L81 Registry. His efforts to help other L81'ers was like a lighting of hope across the web on those days, for there was barely enough information about our venerable year model, and he helped me solve the first of hundreds of issues and questions I had. It was through him that I found CAC, and I was so impressed about his dedication to help others, and specially Corvette owners. A lifetime Corvette owner himself, he contributed and still has much information in these pages to shine our way through problems and solutions to them.

The bottom line of our passtime is the road, and the road he and I hit many times. In 2002, I did not get Gail ready for the road, and ran out of time, so I met him at Bowling Green, KY driving my commuter car. That was SharkFest, and I got to meet him finally in person, and met Blackdog, and Rob, and Andre, and so many Corvette enthusiasts that weekend, and at least I got to witness the baddest pool shindig he and Jeff (Blackdog) have done many times over. Andre became a Blender Colonel there, and the party atmosphere was so electrifying, that it provided juice to the blenders. WOW!!!!! awesome time. There had to be between 50 and 90 folks there partying, not including the kids. I went to bed early (midnight) because I got word that my son was coming home for a break from Iraq, so I took off next morning (Sunday). Definitely, one of my most cherished memories of Bud.

We were together when I broke down in Nebraska. We had just left the motel, and at the gas station,and I could not get the Vette to shut-off. Without hesitation, he went into action, and told me to head to the town's NAPA Autoparts store and try to see if they had an ignition switch for the Vette. He went on a different direction, and contacted his friend to see if we could use his garage to fix my ride. He got back in time to me when I was ready to leave the NAPA store, and had me follow him to his friend's house. There, we replaced the ignition's switch which later earned me the 2004 Road Warrior Award. I could not have done it without him.

Many memories out poured tonight blurring my vision. 2007 Cruise Fest. 2010 Cruise Fest. And in the center of them, it was Bud having a good time as no one else could, giving a helping hand, planning, funding, and carrying out many events all for the good of the Corvette community. And I may have found out late about his passing, but I am thick in many ways, and so clues often pass me by. But a few weeks ago, I was sitting in my family room watching TV (alone). When suddenly, I felt as if someone was running their fingers over my hair. It freaked me out!!! Five minutes later, it happened again. I was thinking that I was going crazy, or that perhaps a centipede had fallen on my head, but I could not find anything in my hair. Yesterday, however, it all became clear for me, and I smiled, for now I know that it was Bud stopping by and saying good bye.

God Speed my friend. Please pass our love to Jeff Alexander, Jane Ann, and all of our Corvette friends whom we have missed over the years. I love you brotha!
    GerryLP
    Thanks hoosierdaddy thanked for this post

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss GerryLP's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I sent a note and Nancy. Here's the reply...

Mac
    I plan to be there at Bud's Roast's
    GerryLP
    Likes Mac liked this post

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss ROCKETBLOCK's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsredvette View Post
    Attachment 20921Nanc, my wife and Bud, 2012 visit to Amarillo
    Nice picture. Was that picture taken in front of a Cabellas?

A Proud Army Aviation Veteran

"Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss Scottsredvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1989 Bright Red Convertible (gone) 98 Jaguar XK8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKETBLOCK View Post
    Nice picture. Was that picture taken in front of a Cabellas?
    That was in front of the AQHA museum. We were down house hunting trying to figure out where we wanted to end up. Bud and Nanc were kind enough to show us the area. We ended up in Michigan but Texas sure had a strong attraction for us.
    I don't like making plans for the day. The word "premeditated" is not useful when it gets thrown around a courtroom.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well, today was the day of the "roast" in Amarillo. Rosie and I got up early and left a little before 8 this morning to go down. It was a little after 11 when we got there. We met up with Bill (geekinavette) and Zach (Bills son, kidinavette) , as it was too early to go over to the coffee shop where the roast was held. We talked for a while and then decided to head over and wait. About ten minutes later Gerry (GerryLP) called to ask where it was, he had driven right by without seeing the place......(I did the same thing earlier ). Right at 1, Nanc shows up with Bud's best friend and his wife. (Nanc, correct me if I have this mixed up a bit), who worked with Bud out in California, and followed Bud/Nanc out to Amarillo a couple years after they did. Then a few local people showed up shortly after. We sat and talked for about 20 minutes when the manager of the coffee shop came out with a huge bouquet and a card. I can't speak for anyone else, but it was an emotional couple of minutes as he spoke of how Bud came in and always gave everyone a hard time and how Bud kept them on their toes. It sounded just like the Bud we all knew here. I know that Nanc really appreciated our being there, and, like us, wish it were under different circumstances.

For me it just hit home (again) how we shouldn't put things off until tomorrow. Stop and visit those friends, pick up the phone and call, just stay in touch, as you never know. We love you Nanc!

Here's Bud doing his Supremes routine. RIP my friend!

Bill and Zach.

Bud Best friend, Nanc and Gerry. Nanc and Gerry. And others.

The manager of the shop

Nanc reading the card

, IL)

Thanks Mac, bill81vette thanked for this post

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe; W/6-Speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Sounds like an awesome tribute to Bud you said it, not a one of us are promised any tomorrow's that's for sure as we know it!

-Bill
    President Abraham Lincoln as stated in the Gettysburg Address
    "From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain."
    "Defend Those That Defended Us"
    Likes Mac, Toms007, bill81vette liked this post

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the update & pictures, Tom. How was Nancy bearing up?

Mac

Likes hoosierdaddy liked this post

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Nanc was doing real well...at least on the outside. If she was having problems, she sure didn't show it as she hid it real well. I could tell, when the manager came out and gave her the bouquet that she almost teared up then, but so did I. Nanc is a trooper, she'll be OK, and she has a support system in place there with Bud's friend and his wife.

, IL)

Thanks Mac, Rob thanked for this post
    Likes KANE, hoosierdaddy, Rob liked this post

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast