$projecthp
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss Scottsredvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1989 Bright Red Convertible (gone) 98 Jaguar XK8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My introduction to Bud? The "secret handshake"..... It is an honor to have been his friend. His stories at CruiseFest are cherished memories and the time we spent with him and Nanc down in Amarillo will never be forgotten. Bud, I'll do my best to pass the "handshake" on to any and all CAC members I run in to.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Nanc and the family.

Scott and Claudia
    Last edited by Scottsredvette; 03-16-15 at 07:36 AM.
    I don't like making plans for the day. The word "premeditated" is not useful when it gets thrown around a courtroom.

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss Bob Chadwick's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Rest in Peace Yoda. You will be missed. Our prayers are with your family.

Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright Red Coupe and 2016 triple black vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'll just echo what many of you have already said. Bud was a true gentleman and always helped me whenever I asked. I just keep thinking of those I've met here on CAC that are no longer with us. Makes me sad.

Ron
    "Baldie88"

Born on date May 31, 1988. This car did one lap of Indy in May 2006 for opening day ceremonies. Member St. Louis Corvette Club. NCM Member Number 518453.

Corvette(s)
    1960 Red & White
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

From one Vietnam vet to another, the fight is over, well done my brother, rest in peace, my thoughts and prayers are with your family.--Bill

Corvette(s)
    before 60,63&82 now 90 383 Stroker & 91 ZR1-Sold
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Bud, it is ok to retire now.

Had lunch with the “Yoda” in early 2010. It turned out to be a six hour visit. Sorry I missed him on last year’s trip through Amarillo. He was out of town the only days we were close by.

You old timers will remember that Yoda and I had some head to head arguments over politics, religion and life in general. Some rather heated ones.

Ok those are the things we are told not to talk about but guess what? Like a true gentleman Bud could discuss, disagree and still respect. A trait to be admired in anyone and required of a YODA; Bud earned his title.

Not only will CAC miss Bud, he will be missed everyone he touched in some way.

Our thoughts go out to Nanc and family.
    ¨To be or to do? Which way will you go?" Col John Boyd

www.SPEED-KARTS.com
    www.racing-engineering.com
    Likes BigJimZ16, Mac, hoosierdaddy, KANE liked this post

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'm sure, in time, Nanc will read this thread. I also know that she won't be surprised by the litany of praise Bud has garnered here. As a member of the staff here at CAC, I want to, personally, thank each and every one who has posted here, as it means so much to us here and with Bud's family. Bud leaves a void here that cannot be filled, both professionally, as a member of this staff, and personally. Everyone Bud touched remembers him. His knowledge of Corvettes in general and L81's in particular was vast. We had several discussions over the years about various topics and I was, without a doubt, in awe of his wise insights.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Likes hoosierdaddy liked this post

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss darkstar's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    08 Atomic orange, Z-51, 6 speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I only knew you as "Yoda", but your support and knowledge was invaluable. I am not good at this type of thing so I will say farewell my fellow Vet as you are going home again.
    As you slip theses earthly bonds may you reach out and touch the Face of God.

Corvette(s)
    65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I Remember all the good times at the Get together's......RIP...
    "Kid_Again.."Hey, at least I don't have an annoying split window to block my view."

Corvette(s)
    1998 Majestic Amethyst Metallic Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Sorry to hear this. My condolences and prayers to the family and friends that knew him. Wish I would have been able to meet him.
    Thanks catbert thanked for this post

Corvette(s)
    1998 pace car,Impala, duramax, STS, k5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Such a cool guy. REALLY was one of the good guys

I raise my glass, to Bud!

Eric

Corvette(s)
    2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Rest in Peace BUD. So many of our good friends are going to the big Corvette corral in the sky. I hope you can find peace and happiness.
    Korvettekarl
    2017 Grand Sport Admiral Blue
    2014 Premier Edition Z51
    2010 Grand Sport
    1990 White ZR1
    1972 Nova SS
    67 RS Camaro
    66 El Camino
    55 2 Door Wagon

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss geekinavette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    84 Z51 auto R.I.P. 89 black roadster SOLD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This is tough...I'm glad I'm alone, this won't happen without shedding a tear or two.

The words "Rare" and "Yoda" could not be more appropriate...for Bud was as rare and wise as any individual ever put on this Earth.

I first met Bud at one of the Bowling Green Cruisefests (luckily not via the "secret handshake"...tho I have witnessed that ). We caravaned into BG together (from somewhere in MO I think?). I had the '84 at the time, and I remember us all coming out of some toll gates in a rather "aggressive" manner. I had just rebuilt the transmission prior to the trip, and I remember going past Bud and letting out some rather obnixious "barking like a mad dog" (his words!) going into second gear. When we got into the hotel and got all settled, he came up to me and in again in a rather "aggressive" manner (not quite as aggressive as the "secret handshake" ), nudged me in the shoulder and said something along the lines of "ok that AIN'T no stock '84...what in the HELL have you done to that thing!?". I learned during that conversation that Bud was involved in testing when the '84 was first released. Of course he was right...mine was very not-stock, not only under the hood but suspension included...so I took him out for a spin around BG (and offered to let him drive it himself, but he declined to do that, he just wanted to RIDE). I will never forget the look on his face or the excitement in his voice, reliving those days of having a blast testing this radical new Corvette design. Priceless indeed.

When that car met it's untimely firey demise...I think Bud was as heartbroken as I was, possibly even more so.

Then there was CF '07 here in Colorado. Among the MANY great moments and stories from this event...there is one that is particularly special to me.

My kid (Zach) tagged along with me at most of the events we participated in that year, and Bud seemed to develop a special bond with him. This is Zach at one of the dinners:

Well, during the "farewell" dinner party giveaway, a model of the then new Camaro came across the table and Zach's jaw dropped (he LOVES that car). We didn't win it, and Zach was so bummed (and the person that did win it simply refused to "trade" anything for it, even after some rather intense chanting from the entire room...such is life).

Fast forward a few days later, I come home to find a box on the porch...and since I wasn't expecting any packages this was a bit curious. Took the package inside and opened it to find the EXACT same Camaro die cast model...and I do mean absolutely identical. For the longest time we didn't have a clue where this thing came from, as the return address was quite cleverly disguised...but to say this put a smile on a kid's face is a major understatement!

We did eventually learn that it was indeed Bud that masterminded this devious plan, and to this day that car sits on his computer desk as a tribute to a truly special individual.

Over the years since then, we kept in touch here and there and he ALWAYS wanted to know how Zach was doing...not as frequently as I would have liked, but understandable given everything Bud was going through. We never got the chance to pay a visit (tried a couple of times, but between my schedule and Bud's struggle, it just didn't work out).

There have of course been ups and downs, but it just breaks my heart that Bud never got to see first hand what a stellar young man this kid is growing into. However, somehow I think he knows.

(this is from just a couple of weeks ago at his very first ever stage performance)

I cannot refer to this dear man in the past tense...a soul like that will NEVER die. He will always be here with us...maybe only listening now, and certainly from a much more comfortable chair! Bud, sir...I cannot thank you enough for teaching an impressionable young boy just what the power of pure KINDNESS can do. It has truly made an impact.

Rest well old friend...no one deserves it more.

Bill

EDIT: It bears mentioning that there were multiple remarkable souls involved with this most generous and thoughtful act. I will not name any names for fear of an old-West style hanging!
    Last edited by geekinavette; 03-16-15 at 07:32 PM.
    Thanks catbert thanked for this post
    Likes Otter, Bob Chadwick, ROCKETBLOCK, Rob, Mac and 4 others liked this post

The Corvette Action Center Suffers a Loss ROCKETBLOCK's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Rest in Peace my friend.

He bravely took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night. He will be missed by many. Condolences to Nancy and family.

A Proud Army Aviation Veteran

"Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Corvette(s)
    1995 Black ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My deepest sympathy to Bud's family. He will be truely missed by all.
    1995 Black ZR-1 #392
    LT5 Reg. #868 *RIP*

Corvette(s)
    1981 charcoal (39) Bowling green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Rest in Peace Bud!!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast