$projecthp
  • With Viper splitting from Dodge, should Corvette have separated from Chevy?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: With Viper splitting from Dodge, should Corvette separate from Chevrolet? Why or why not?

Voters
388. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 14.95%
  • No

322 82.99%
  • Maybe

8 2.06%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2000 M.Yellow softtop
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

At first take it sounds like a great idea......but as I thought about it, I began to wonder....the price would have to go way up, the Vette is quite a value right now. There would be less money for R&D, and the thinking would be much narrow'r....

I do agree that the sales folks should know more about the products they are selling and like some have suggested the Vette and Caddie should have there very own sales shop. Then you'd have a service department with up to date knowledge and skills. I don't want the guy thats working on the low end chevy also working on my vette....I know how that turns out......

I am on my 2nd vette and I learned a lot from my first one, the 2nd one has never been touched by a Dealership after I bought it. I have a shop manual and I follow the owners manual to the letter. I am happy that the Vette is well designed and engineered. I have had no problems what so ever. But then again Ive left it stock for the most part. A little bling here and there. Of all the cars, trucks and motorcycles, my 08 has given me the least amount of grief. Which is a good thing as I have no faith in the local Dealerships.

Just my 2 cents.....

LA VETT

Default La vett

When Corvette has several low volume years, like they justr have had, they should be glad they have Chevrolet to help back them up. You will always have some dealerships that don't sell many Corvettes and don't know the car very well, but there are plenty of good dealerships that sell lots of Corvettes and give you great service.
    Corvette and Chevy complement each other.
    LA' VETT

Corvette(s)
    2012 Grand Sport ZLC Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Chevy and especially Corvette runs deep!

Corvette(s)
    2017 Watkins Glen Gray Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Not possible

You can't have stand alone Corvette dealers - not feasible.
    What about Camaro?
    After 60 years, why change?
    When travelling, it's nice to know there are Chevy dealerships everywhere.
    Dodge no longer makes trucks - they're Rams. Where do you buy and service them? A Ram dealer?
    2017 WGG Coupe/black, A8, 2LT, NCM Delivery 9/12/16
    Previous Corvette coupes:
    2012 SSB Coupe/gray, A6, 3LT, NCM Delivery 4/16/12
    2005 LeMans Blue/black, A4, 1SB, NCM Delivery 4/25/05
    2003 gray/black, A4, F55, NCM Delivery 9/16/02
    2000 green/tan, NCM Delivery 5/16/00;
    1996 CE silver/gray
    1993 green/tan

Corvette(s)
    1991 ZR1 black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thumbs down i disagree

splitting from Chevrolet will not solve the problem
    training the sales and service people at chevrolet dealers will solve the problme
    i like being able to go to a chevrolet dealer anywhere in the USA
    this large network would be lost

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSince72 View Post
    I recommended this to Dave McClellan in 1989. Corvette is now sold by Chevy dealers who sell te a year, know nothing about the product and have sales people who KNOW NOTHING about the product or it's heritage. By separating it from Chevrolet, Corvette could SELECT dealers who would stock, train on and support the product. Better dealers would increase the value of the franchise & insure MORE CONSISTENT QUALITY OF SERVICE between dealers. GM, the dealers and the customers would benefit greatly.

Corvette(s)
    2017 Watkins Glen Gray Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSince72 View Post
    A stand alone brand does not require standalone dealerships. You simply SELECT the dealers in each market that will be franchised based on their physical plant, willingness to commit staff & resources and their CSI scores. The brand wins, the good dealers win & THE CUSTOMERS WIN.
    The only other choice is a Buick/Cadillac/GMC dealer. Or are you suggesting they sell them at Ford, MB, BMW, etc. dealers?
    2017 WGG Coupe/black, A8, 2LT, NCM Delivery 9/12/16
    Previous Corvette coupes:
    2012 SSB Coupe/gray, A6, 3LT, NCM Delivery 4/16/12
    2005 LeMans Blue/black, A4, 1SB, NCM Delivery 4/25/05
    2003 gray/black, A4, F55, NCM Delivery 9/16/02
    2000 green/tan, NCM Delivery 5/16/00;
    1996 CE silver/gray
    1993 green/tan

Corvette(s)
    About 10 tons of C4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Seperate Corvette from Chevrolet?

It is an interesting consideration but think of this; The Corvette was really kind of separated from Chevrolet with the Cadillac XLR. Although it is not exactly the same car, the XLR-V series is really a higher end and very high performing 2 seat roadster built right at Bowling Green on the very Corvette platform we hold so dear to heart. The best aspect of owning an XLR over a Corvette was the service/dealership relations. You were not in the same dealership as the more common mark Chevrolet, and your XLR was not being serviced next to a 200K mile beat to death Malibu with dog hair and baby formula oozing out the doors. The bad side is the stigma. High end stigma really has baffled me for years when performance is concerned and resale value. Corvette buyers always seem to buy their cars on HP Marks and 1/4 mile performance... still today. Even though the average corvette buyer would never, and may never be capable of pushing their car to the limit... they seem to go off of that as a major factor in their choice of cars. There are plenty of other fast 2 seat cars on the market but Corvette itself has always held its own league... and its not because it is the fastest... it is because it is a regular old chevy and it is competing with cars that have names "considered" 10X better by those that push paper to the reading public.

Corvette, for years, has held a very good resale value, and to me that is a very good reason to own a car. Unfortunately it is declining hard year after year though and putting the car in its own “Mark” I think will just accelerate that decline. If the buyers are satisfied that the general entry price of a corvette is, lets say 60K… and in 3 years its another 20K car… then fine… Go lose your 40K… but for me, I would like to hang on to as much of that original cost as possible. One of the things that is nice in owning a Corvette vs say a Mercedes SL is the fact you will not lose 100K in 3-4 years. Mercedes is a bloodbath… High end car resale is really a crime… and people seem to have let many mfrs literally get away with robbery by the acceptance of this and constant trade up to the next model with no return on the past.

This is what scares me for the Corvette, and we get a small glimpse of this with the XLR. For whatever reason, not many people gave the XLR-V (built on the Corvette Platform) much consideration as it was not marketed as just an all out brute. Even though it was plenty capable, it was just another old man’s car.. Like a Mercedes SL65, even though it would dust the pants off the regular corvette, it was not a Corvette. And as a result, the resale on those Cadillac XLRs are really extremely poor, kind of making it an interesting car to purchase used, but it seems to have a bottomless value that will approach the price of a worn out Camry here soon for a very nice car.

I will say that a lot of that poor resale does come from service woes when out of warranty. Although much of the same car as a corvette, the XLR is serviced at the Cadillac dealer. A palace with marble floors, moccha chino machines, pretty girl service writers, and more. It cost a whole lot more to keep those people in high cotton vs a more humble Chevy dealer…. And I think a lot of the car’s value is lost in that over time. Mecedes is the worst... And look at the palace of dealerships they have.... Seems to be a direct pattern on a car's resale.

From that aspect, I would say that Dodge taking the Viper Mark away is not a good thing nor is Chevrolet. Both cars became famous from their blue collar backgrounds and humble beginnings. The Viper is the blue collar performance car of the past decade and rightfully so it should be. It is bold, it is brute, it was over the top. Now they tamed it down with the newer gen… and guess what….. the resale is not as good now as those famous 96-02s…… The Corvette, although has graduated up in its audience age quite high over the years, still holds a lot of that blue collar mentality with it too. Take that away and give it a more hoidy toidiy image as was done with the XLR, which is done with the Mercedes SL and many other very capable performing cars, you have just another one of those that are bottomless pits to a waste of cash to the owners. Right now both the Dodge Viper and the Chevrolet Corvette have that common man stigma and are service by more of a common man’s facility and network... and if/when that status echelon is taken to a higher ground... I think you will lose both cars all together as just another one of the many rich dummy cars on the market.

Keep in mind I am looking at this from a consumers stand point, not the mfrs. My standpoint is if I do go buy a very expensive new car as a toy, viper, corvette, etc (and these are all toy cars)… when I get tired of my toy and/or want to play that game of keeping up with the techo-jones’ to get the latest model, I will get as much of my original price investment back as possible on my older one. I may be one of the rare breeds that cares anymore.. as the proof in the high end car market says it does not matter…. Just spend and lose hard… it’s the way of the world and you should join in..... Well I am going to resist.
    If the Corvette Mark is separated from Chevrolet, I think you will see how far down that resale market will go… It won’t be pretty.

Matt Garrett - 214-878-3823
    [IMG]file:///F:/NETSCAPE/GM-LOGO-MAIN-SMALL.jpg[/IMG]
    http://www.GM-Classics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    RICK KRANZ
    AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

With Viper splitting from Dodge, should Corvette have separated from Chevy?

February 24, 2012 - 3:16 pm ET

Viper without Dodge is similar to Corvette without Chevrolet, isn't it?

Last year Chrysler Group surprised Dodge enthusiasts by announcing that Viper no longer would be marketed under the Dodge brand.

This strategy reminds me of a plan General Motors seriously considered about a decade ago.

Full Story: With Viper splitting from Dodge, should Corvette have separated from Chevy?

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

UltraSlow,

Good response, however I have to disagree to some point with your statement about the demise of the XLR.

In my opinion, the Cadillac XLR died because GM failed at exerting any appreciable amount of marketing it.

The XLR was, for all intents and purposes, Cadillac's halo image car; just as the Corvette is for Chevrolet. The XLR had SO much potential; if it was marketed properly and the platform was nurtured.

Now, the high performance Cadillac's are the V-Series. In the last several years, you couldn't open a Car and Driver, Motor Trend or Road and Track magazine without seeing a full page ad with an awesome looking V-Series Cadillac on it. Although sales of the V-series Cadillac's are nothing to write home about, the V-Series have acquired a lot of popularity and respect within the automotive world. Recent reviews over the last 2-3 years have been excellent.

I wish GM would have exerted the amount of energy and money into marketing the XLR as they have with the V-Series Cadillac CTS. Sharing the Corvette's frame and chassis components, I can't help but wonder where the XLR could have gone if GM would have nurtured it along and improved upon the formula.

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center

Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Movinginstereo

:G ???

What?
    Have we run out of intelligent questions to ponder? What kind of a moron thought this one up?
    How about before any more Einsteins are allowed access to posting questions, we actually come up with reasonable questions to find answers for.
    Chevrolet originated "America's Sportscar" clear back in the 50's and has continued straight through the last almost 60 years. Corvettes are Chevrolets. If you can't or don't understand that...then congratulations! You really need to stick to pool cleaning. (and fords.)

Corvette(s)
    1984 Corvette Victory Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Red-headed stepchild.....

This concept is equivalent to disowning one of your children. Correct me if I am wrong but the Corvette was the very first true American sportscar and almost 60 years later still commands respect from around the world. Any person considering buying one of these awesome vehicles will do considerable research and will most likely have his or her mind made before approaching the dealership because of the mere investment to own one of these cars. It is my opinion that the salespersons input has little to do with the decision making process. As for the service, if we are not satisfied then we go up the ladder and complain until we are satisfied. There are established Chevrolet dealerships already in place all over the country where we can go now and buy parts for these cars. Separating Corvette from Chevrolt will severely limit our access to repair and maintenance parts, Driving 200+ miles to the nearest dealer for and A/C hose would not be acceptable to many owners and would certainly hurt the Corvette reputation in the long run. Just my 2 cents worth.......

Chevrolet Corvette Forever!

MikeLT4

I am voting with my heart, because as a purely business matter it may not make sense, but it made no sense when OBummer took over GM and screwed preferred stock and bond holders out of their equity. It makes it difficult to be a GM guy. I recently bought a Ford Escape as my business vechicle simply because it is a stockholder owned company with no govt. equity. Besides, any company that thinks the Volt is the car of the future does not deserve my business.
    I still love my 96 LT4 CE, but would not consider a new Vette until the company is free of govt interference.

Corvette(s)
    2002 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Viper is a kit car, Corvette is a production car

Viper fans would argue with my title, but in a good year, about 3,000 vipers are made, in a bad year, less than 1,000.

Corvettes run from about 20,000 to 40,000 per year, since 1963.

I think Fiat took the Viper off the books because they probably couldn't figure out how to manage it in its production and supply chain systems. Maybe there are other reasons also.

No good reason to separate Corvette from Chevy. If they are having trouble with some dealers, it could be distributed to only the dealers that sell more.

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Movinginstereo View Post
    What?
    Have we run out of intelligent questions to ponder? What kind of a moron thought this one up?
    How about before any more Einsteins are allowed access to posting questions, we actually come up with reasonable questions to find answers for.
    Chevrolet originated "America's Sportscar" clear back in the 50's and has continued straight through the last almost 60 years. Corvettes are Chevrolets. If you can't or don't understand that...then congratulations! You really need to stick to pool cleaning. (and fords.)
    Oh come on....don't hold back now!

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center

Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have a split view on this. I don't think they should split corvette from Chevy, as that is silly for the purests, and the Chevy brand. But I do agree with the old European complaint, that the corvette should not have any GM or Chevy branding or text anywhere on the car. You can make corvette an exclusive brand under the ownership of Chevy and GM. There was a complaint at one point, don't remember when, that some Europeans did like it when they started the car and it said "corvette by Chevy" ( or something to that effect ) on the dash. The counter argument at the time was that a Ferrari didn't say "Ferrari by fiat" on the dash ( don't remember if Ferrari was ever owned by fiat, but you get my point). I think corvette should be an exclusive brand inside of chevy, and not have any branding on the end product.

mikep3

I love my Corvette, it's a Chevy!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast