• GM's Henderson: Corvette's future is secure
  • GM's Henderson: Corvette's future is secure

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Good news. Now they should build one that looks like the C1 and rides and runs like the C6. Small and hot.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by DonCordier View Post
    Howdy,

Thanks for your comment, however, I believe you meant to say that "No car company can possibly sell enough...".

You are correct but it certainly helps and will generate excitement and thus interest in the other profitable and wide variety of offerings by the company. Also, having a "special interest vehicle" that seats four or more helps many individuals to justify the purchase of a new vehcile in which to transport the family, friends and/or in which to commute to and from work or business.

Regards,

Don Cordier
    Yes, I stand corrected.

Turning GM is like turning a huge ocean liner. It takes time and space.

With regards to the next generation Corvette, their may only be a few engineers working on it at the moment. Probably just a few designers since the I doubt they are looking to do a clean sheet of paper mechanical redesign like they did when they went from the C4 to the C5. My guess, it will be similar to the C5 to C6 change.

When a car company starts getting into new tooling, fixtures, versions,and pre-production testing, that's requires serious investment (i.e. big bucks).

They may be just updating the interior with fresh looking seats, console, dash, knobs, switches, front bumper, rear bumper and side scoop. These may not be a major cost in the overall picture but make the car appear fresher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by ken mohr View Post
    Good news. Now they shouls build one that looks like the C1 and rides and runs like the C6. Small and hot.
    There's already aftermarket companies that will use a C5 chassis to look like a '53. I doubt Chevy would touch that small niche market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mez View Post
    They may be just updating the interior with fresh looking seats, console, dash, knobs, switches,
    Ya know, that's been one of the biggest complaints by reviewers worldwide..."Cheap interior pieces". Seriously, if Chevy can spend millions developing the C6 ZR-1, why can't they put a few bucks into making an interior that's at least somewhat comparable to the european models in which it competes against? "Oh look, more GM gray plastic and pleather interior trim. How nice!" Take a cue from Callaway, just ditch the mostly god-awful pastel colors he/they choose.
    If GM made a interior worthy of a $100K car, the critics would have nothing else to complain about! And it's not like this is a new complaint...

Key West Jack

I hate to pee in anyones Wheaties but any time the government gets involved things can change quite rapidly. I think Corvette is in as much danager as the whole of GM. If GM sinks it is going to take Corvette down with it. I think ole Fritz is just being P.C. Remember he works for the government now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Help

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorman_3 View Post
    I hope 'Fritz' is right, but I imagine that GM will build what Osama.........err Obama's group dictates. They do not strike me as sports car type guys but rather Green, Electric and Money folks!
    Yep, you hit the nail squarely on the head, Peace,,, Moosie

redneck

Default A lot of sound thinking guys...

Though it's good to hear the corvette *pays the rent* I too didn't hear a "yes , production is planned for a c-7" anytime soon . I also wonder about the quality of any future vettes coming off the line now that G.M. will need to be meaner and leaner . For the car to die while at the top of it's game seems like a possibility dosen't really ? . One thing is for sure , if it does die , corvettes value will start to go through the roof . Unlike the 1970 dodge daytona , 65 mustang , 302 z28 camaro and others I let go for peanuts back in the 70's , this time I will have a very desirable machine . Not that it's about money , but , it counts . By the way my personel retro favorite brought back to life has to be the new challenger....it sure looks like the old dayz ride I remember . Save the wave friends....redneck

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    That's an interesting statement because I thought when the C6 was being discussed in pre- and post-production, one of the points made was that it's almost entirely new with not much being carried over from the C5?

The following paragraph was copied from an article on the C6 written by Jack Nerad who writes from Driving today.

The C6 retains key features of the previous-generation car -- backbone structure, hydroformed steel frame rails, cored composite floors, enclosed center tunnel, rear-mounted transmission and aluminum cockpit structure -- but with suspension components that have been substantially changed. In fact, none of the suspension bits have been carried over from C5. The short-long arm double-wishbone front and rear suspension configuration remains, as does the transverse leaf spring independent design, but the control arms, springs, dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars, and steering gear are completely redesigned.

So, other then several structural items, it appears all other components are new to the C6. There are the obvious items like power steering pumps, master cylinders, etc. that are probably the same design as the C5, but thinking the all GM components like this are the same across all GM vehicles.
    The shortest distance between two points is under construction. ~ Noelie Altito.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by DonCordier View Post
    Howdy,

Thanks for your comment, however, I believe you meant to say that "No car company can possibly sell enough...".

You are correct but it certainly helps and will generate excitement and thus interest in the other profitable and wide variety of offerings by the company. Also, having a "special interest vehicle" that seats four or more helps many individuals to justify the purchase of a new vehcile in which to transport the family, friends and/or in which to commute to and from work or business.

Regards,

Don Cordier
    Don, your right; thats exactly why I bought my Subaru Impreza STi. It seats 5, has 4 wheel drive, has 300 HP, a no lag turbo, and gets good milage in 5th and 6th gear, has a relatively large trunk too. Also voted "Car of the year" by Car and Driver or or maybe it was some other mag. in 2004.
    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know. HM1 1st MAR DIV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution1980 View Post
    Ya know, that's been one of the biggest complaints by reviewers worldwide..."Cheap interior pieces". Seriously, if Chevy can spend millions developing the C6 ZR-1, why can't they put a few bucks into making an interior that's at least somewhat comparable to the european models in which it competes against? "Oh look, more GM gray plastic and pleather interior trim. How nice!" Take a cue from Callaway, just ditch the mostly god-awful pastel colors he/they choose.
    If GM made a interior worthy of a $100K car, the critics would have nothing else to complain about! And it's not like this is a new complaint...
    All those cars cost a hell of a lot more than the Vette. GM is walking a cost tightrope with the Vette, and has to use the parts bin and other ways to cut costs. Bob Lutz said that the few small changes to the interior of the Pontiac Solstice to create the interior of the Saturn Sky cost over $300 bucks a unit. If the Vette is to have a European quality interior, it'll have a European price. There is no such thing as magic.

We have to make up our minds: bang for the buck or world class ammenities. Personally, I'd rather have world class performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    All those cars cost a hell of a lot more than the Vette. GM is walking a cost tightrope with the Vette, and has to use the parts bin and other ways to cut costs. Bob Lutz said that the few small changes to the interior of the Pontiac Solstice to create the interior of the Saturn Sky cost over $300 bucks a unit. If the Vette is to have a European quality interior, it'll have a European price. There is no such thing as magic.

We have to make up our minds: bang for the buck or world class ammenities. Personally, I'd rather have world class performance.
    All you have to do is order the full leather interior for another 8 grand; and you have the equal of any european supercar. So in the words of a great American cartoon character "Eat my shorts."
    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know. HM1 1st MAR DIV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by MARLTON LT-4 View Post
    I am not buying it. Did they the know (or admit) that they would shut down production for most of the summer?? Unless they make the vette a "Super Green Machine" rather than a "Super Car" IMHO this adminsistration will be more than happy to see that it is cut. It might be better to go out on top rather than becoming an enviro-weenie mobile !!! Sorry to be negitve but that is reality!!
    Zaaackly ... Let's See ...a Super Green two seater .. That would be a Golf Cart ..Right

As for the shut down...People in the know say 2 week normal shutdown for Bowling Green...Let's hope they are right.

GM's Henderson: Corvette's future is secure darkstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Exclamation

These are some lean times. Priorities are different for everyone. Basic survival -food, shelter and transportation are necessities. The Corvette is way beyond basic in my opinion. But I love mine and hope to see the next "Vette" as secure as possible with a pricetag that some can continue to afford. Long live GM and the mighty Corvette.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for posting.

The C5 survived because of creative accounting in Chevy that allowed the development of the C5 to stay alive. The creative accounting within Chev was because of executives who drove Corvettes and were not willing to see the marque end even though they risked losing their jobs over the creative accounting.

Good news that Mr. Henderson drives a Vette.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Lightbulb changes?

my 96 330 6spd will outlast me.
    I will need parts in the future for sure.
    Please keep a few on the shelf for us.. thx

Alberni Redneck

Quote Originally Posted by 91 Black Convertible View Post
    I didn't hear him say that the C7 was not on hold. All I heard him say was that they are continuing to improve upon the present C6 and make it better.

Did I miss something, or are others reading something else into it?

He did say that at one time they had plans for a C7 that would have been a big leap forward, but that now they are just continuing to make the C6 better a little at a time.

Where does he say that the C7 project is still alive and moving forward?

Jim S.

I agree that the future of the Corvette is only as healthy as the future of GM, and that is not necessarily a strong future!
    We all know they had to skip a production year for '83, That didn't hurt a thing waiting for the next generation to make it's debut.
    Long live the C6, the C7 will be along soon enough sometime in our future. The Vette will always evolve and survive. It's the only Darwin car I know of !

Glen.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast