$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Question about brakes

Hello
    I don't currently have a Corvette. I am doing some research on brake technology and I have a question about disc brakes on Corvettes. Di the first Corvette with disc brakes (1965?) have ventilated rotors or solid rotors? Thanks for any information you can offer.

Bob B

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Vented.

No Corvette disc brake system has ever used solid rotors.
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

First off Bob, Welcome to CAC! By asking that question, I'm assuming you are considering a mid-year Corvette. They are great cars and pretty good investments (at least they have been). Do your due-diligence in checking out candidates as there are unscrupulous dealers/sellers out there.

As for the specific question you had, I believe that Hib has covered it. If you have other questions don't hesitate to post them, as we have a very knowledgeable bunch of people here who are more than willing to help.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe; W/6-Speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by BobB99 View Post
    Hello
    I don't currently have a Corvette. I am doing some research on brake technology and I have a question about disc brakes on Corvettes. Di the first Corvette with disc brakes (1965?) have ventilated rotors or solid rotors? Thanks for any information you can offer.

Bob B
    WELCOME ABOARD, get in the cockpit of a Corvette you will never ever be the same and that smile will b permanent!!
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong I was once Even when GM in 1965 introduced disc brakes I thought they were still optional for the rear for that model year? Never seen or heard of a solid rotor for a disc brake at all!!! I think Studebaker Advanti (Spelling?) (1962-63?) had disc brakes 4 wheel available before Chevrolet Corvette. Again I was wrong once so I could be off a year or so!! LOL

-Bill
    President Abraham Lincoln as stated in the Gettysburg Address
    "From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain."
    "Defend Those That Defended Us"

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Bill, I believe that in 65 you could order drum brakes in lieu of disks. I would have to look up the numbers to see how many were actually ordered that way, I know a few were.

I don't believe that, front only, disks were ever offered on the Corvette.

As far as solid disks, many of the European sports cars had them. I know the MGs, at least the Midget my dad owned, had solid disks. As well as an MGB I recently considered buying. I don't know about any American made cars that had solid disks, but there were probably some that did.

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    , IL)

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The production numbers for 1965 drum brake cars is 316...pretty rare option. If you find a 65 with drum brakes, it's probably pretty good property. As I recall the option was only good until the stock-pile of drum parts was used up from the 64 model year. After that no longer an option. Not sure if they were able to use up that stock-pile or if that was just all the ones that were ordered.

, IL)

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe; W/6-Speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Sorry and I do stnad corrected. . . . . . . . 1965 Model Year and Disc Brake options

Hey I do stand corrected wrong again, but I am getting old too so maybe I can milk that for a while. If I was being truthful maybe the memory thing is the real issue. But it did make me look some things up, and again I was WRONG!!!

This is what I found and by the way 1965 is the year I graduated high school, not that has anything to do with anything, thanks Tom, I remembered something about disc brakes that year, was in fact the first year you could order them. Wasn't there a number of vehicles early on where you could get disc on the front but not the rear yet, one that comes to mind because I had one was a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle S/S 396 CI only had disc brakes on the front.

Check out this link Chevrolet Corvette – Muscle Car Club

-Bill

President Abraham Lincoln as stated in the Gettysburg Address
    "From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain."
    "Defend Those That Defended Us"

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Bill, the "mistaken memory" gets to most of us these days. That's a nice overview of the different years, but I think I saw a mistake on the 65 description. It said the hoods from 65 weren't interchangeable with the 63 and 64 (if I read that right), which, of course, is wrong. As lots of guys back then liked the smooth hood and put them on 63-64 cars as well as the big block hood. I loved that domed hood.

As far as disk brakes on the front only, of other models....I don't remember in 65, but in 66, I think, a buddy of mine had a 66 Chevelle SS396 that had them that way. And I know that by 69 and 70 that was pretty common, particularly on the muscle cars. Where I grew up, Mopars were more popular than the GM cars. And One friend had a 1967 Hemi GTX which had front disks. Corvette however had 4 wheel disks.

, IL)