Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    1996 Black Coupe - LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Alternator and serpentine belt help

I have a 1996 LT4 stock.

A few weeks ago my alternator locked up and broke my serpentine belt. I had the alternator rebuilt (twice) locally and i'm still having charging issues. To add to the mix of things, i broke the connector to the alternator, got a new one from Pepboys and had to splice twist rewire it for the connection. I will soon solder it with a real nice connection.

Issues:
    At idle, car charges ~14.7-15.0 volts fine. When i drive or on slight acceleration, 2000-2500 rpms, voltage dips to 12.7-12.6, dash cluster flashes/flickers. If i maintain those rpms, voltage just stays at ~12.7.

Replacement serpentine belt i got from Pepboys is 5060670 / 6PK1700. This is actually about 1 inch longer than what i had on before. The belt went on fairly easily, but appears tight. My past experience with Pepboys, is I have gotten a longer belt than i needed before for another car. Is this the correct belt for my car? Should i get a shorter one?

Could my alternator still be suspect? I changed a few things, but would like some help and maybe try to eliminate something.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My gut feeling on this is 1) use the right belt–Pep Boys is a lousy place to buy Corvette parts. Try gong on-line at RockAuto and you'll find the right belt. 2) Replace the alternator–and, again, look at RockAuto for parts–and, also, check all the wiring associated with the alternator.
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    Yellow '84 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I believe there are marks on your tensioner to indicate the proper length belt. The single mark on the moveable arm should be between the two marks on the stationary bracket.

I haven't had problems with Pep Boys. They're just Chevy parts!

Corvette(s)
    1996 Black Coupe - LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I got tired of screwing around and ordered another remanufactured alternator online, installed it and its been working perfectly for the past week! It hasn't dropped below 14.3 V under normal / spirited driving. Had the air and lights on too. Its clear the local "rebuild" was a waste of time and money, twice. Surprisingly, it's a well known alternator/starter shop and i was told they replaced the brushes, backing plate, etc. Did they forget something?

To add to the mystery, while waiting for the new alternator to arrive, i had the original one tested at Autozone and it "Passed" for whatever that is worth.

A month of frustration is over.
    Likes JAGwinn liked this post

Corvette(s)
    93 Ruby Aniv roadster/6spd
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I use Advance Auto,Ill stick something in the cart but dont order. In a day or so Ill get a 25% off code.Im near 2 of em,if the part is bad or wrong I can just drive over & get a replacement or $ back.Glad ya get your Vette finally fixed JC.
    Currently 93 Ruby 40th Anniversary Roadster/6 SPD

Previous 58,68,70,76,78,85,90