Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1995 Red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default LT4 - 1st to 4th Gear Shift Fix

I already have a '96 LT4 coupe, but will be purchasing a vert (10,000mi) that has the factory original shift setting for "emissions"-what a joke. My coupe has the fix & works beautifully.

What is the procedure to eliminate this 1st to 4th shift sequence, so it can shift to 2nd without any restriction? I've heard terms before like a "jumper relay", but how do you do it? I believe some C5s also had this "problem."

THANKS!

Corvette(s)
    84 Crossfire 96 LT4 Torch Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag

Simple fix Corvette Central $ 17.50 plugs in the line no tools even comes with a plastic tie. Mine has it works great

Corvette(s)
    1995 Red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut96lt4 View Post
    Simple fix Corvette Central $ 17.50 plugs in the line no tools even comes with a plastic tie. Mine has it works great

Thanks wingnut! I will check it out.

Corvette(s)
    1996 Grand Sport 917, 1996 Polo Green LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Even simpler fix, just un-plug it.

LT4 -  1st to 4th Gear Shift Fix BigJimZ16's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 96gs917 View Post
    Even simpler fix, just un-plug it.
    Just unplugging it will set a code, it will think the solenoid coil is open. The Eliminator Kits have a resistor that mimics the coil resistance, fooling the controller.
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Three ways you can disable skip shift:

1) On 89-95, just unplug the skip shift solenoid on the side of the trans
    2) On 96-13, install a skip shift eliminator, available from CAC sponsor Zip Products and other aftermarket sources.
    3) on 89-13 get an aftermarket calibration which has the skip shift function disabled.

Also, you can avoid skip shift without spending any money if you learn to drive though it. Most people who get skip shift regularly, are very easy drivers (like they have a goldfish bowl on the seat) and always short shift out of first. That's really not the way to drive a Corvette. If you accelerate just a tiny bit more aggressively and hold the 1-2 shift a little longer, like a sports car should be driven; you'll reduce the number of skip shift intrusions to almost nothing.

On the three Vettes I have with that feature, only one, a 95, has it disabled in the calibration and I really didn't ask for it to be done, the guy just did it. The other two, an '04 and a '12, have skip shift functional but it rarely enables. If it does, no biggie, I just shift to fourth. If I'm driving in a manner that allows skip shift to enable, the extra gas mileage won't hurt.

Lastly, a little history...skip shift has nothing to do with exhaust emissions. It was developed for the late C4 six-speed as a way to gain fuel economy and meet the CAFE standards of the day. It's still used mainly for that reason on Corvette and other V8 cars with manuals. A secondary benefit was that it allowed the Corvette to meet the pass-by noise standard in California and other states which observe that standard. Up until the advent of the C6 dual-mode exhaust, that was another important reason for skip shift. In short, the test required the car to start out in first, shift to the next highest gear then accelerate at WOT past the microphones. A smart Corvette engineer bamboozled the California Highway Patrol into accepting the idea that since skip shift made fourth the next highest gear, they could pass by the mics at WOT, low rpm in fourth rather than high-rpm in second.

Pretty sharp thinking if you ask me.

I appreciate the much-maligned skip shift because it's allowed us to have high-performance Corvettes without guzzler (well...other than C6 ZR-1s) and to have less restrictive exhausts.

Corvette(s)
    1996 Grand Sport 917, 1996 Polo Green LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just unplugging it will set a code, it will think the solenoid coil is open. The Eliminator Kits have a resistor that mimics the coil resistance, fooling the controller.
    I have had both cars unplugged, the green car since 1999, and have never set a code.

I do agree with Hib, the easiest way, without unplugging anything, is drive the car a little more agressively. You really only have to get the car to about 20 MPH in first to be able
    to shift to second.

Corvette(s)
    1995 Red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Three ways you can disable skip shift:

1) On 89-95, just unplug the skip shift solenoid on the side of the trans
    2) On 96-13, install a skip shift eliminator, available from CAC sponsor Zip Products and other aftermarket sources.
    3) on 89-13 get an aftermarket calibration which has the skip shift function disabled.

Also, you can avoid skip shift without spending any money if you learn to drive though it. Most people who get skip shift regularly, are very easy drivers (like they have a goldfish bowl on the seat) and always short shift out of first. That's really not the way to drive a Corvette. If you accelerate just a tiny bit more aggressively and hold the 1-2 shift a little longer, like a sports car should be driven; you'll reduce the number of skip shift intrusions to almost nothing.

On the three Vettes I have with that feature, only one, a 95, has it disabled in the calibration and I really didn't ask for it to be done, the guy just did it. The other two, an '04 and a '12, have skip shift functional but it rarely enables. If it does, no biggie, I just shift to fourth. If I'm driving in a manner that allows skip shift to enable, the extra gas mileage won't hurt.

Lastly, a little history...skip shift has nothing to do with exhaust emissions. It was developed for the late C4 six-speed as a way to gain fuel economy and meet the CAFE standards of the day. It's still used mainly for that reason on Corvette and other V8 cars with manuals. A secondary benefit was that it allowed the Corvette to meet the pass-by noise standard in California and other states which observe that standard. Up until the advent of the C6 dual-mode exhaust, that was another important reason for skip shift. In short, the test required the car to start out in first, shift to the next highest gear then accelerate at WOT past the microphones. A smart Corvette engineer bamboozled the California Highway Patrol into accepting the idea that since skip shift made fourth the next highest gear, they could pass by the mics at WOT, low rpm in fourth rather than high-rpm in second.

Pretty sharp thinking if you ask me.

I appreciate the much-maligned skip shift because it's allowed us to have high-performance Corvettes without guzzler (well...other than C6 ZR-1s) and to have less restrictive exhausts.

First, want to thank all of you for the information & advice. I'm a reasonably aggressive driver, so going past 20 in 1st isn't a problem. BUT, just in case, where is the connection to insert the skip eliminator?

Thanks!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag

It is on the side of the transmission. Can't miss it. Kit comes with two sided plug and little plastic tie very easy and you get No Codes

Corvette(s)
    1995 Red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It is on the side of the transmission. Can't miss it. Kit comes with two sided plug and little plastic tie very easy and you get No Codes

Thanks wingnut. Will take a look on my current '96. Appreciate your help!

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You'll probably find that the "one-to-four" light still comes on even though skip shift is disabled.

Corvette(s)
    1995 Red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    You'll probably find that the "one-to-four" light still comes on even though skip shift is disabled.
    Yes, that light still comes on in the car I have now. Thanks for all the insights.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag

If the light comes on something is not right It is grounding out check an see if a wire is bare

LT4 -  1st to 4th Gear Shift Fix BigJimZ16's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If the light comes on something is not right It is grounding out check an see if a wire is bare

BS... The light WILL come on telling you to shift 1-4. It doesn't know that 2-3 is available to you...
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,

Corvette(s)
    1995 Red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast