Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1996 C4, LT-4 Polo Green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Breathing improvements

I ordered the K&N filter for the stock box and breather system. I did not want to go with cold air or SLP as it would change appearance too much under hood. My next question though is to the exhaust.

I am thinking long tube headers and 3" exhaust but I do have one criteria. I want about s quiet as stock but improved breathing! Not too sure if this is even possible. So has anyone else went with a quiet system and seen improvements, if so what did you put in?

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by TANWare View Post
    (snip) but I do have one criteria. I want about s quiet as stock but improved breathing! Not too sure if this is even possible.
    That's soooo not gonna happen.

If you want to reduce restriction enough to see a practical improvement in performance, you're going to have to put on an aftermarket system and none of them are as quiet as stock.

Corvette(s)
    1996 C4, LT-4 Polo Green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I know back in the day this was the case as well but I had hoped it had changed.

Corvette(s)
    2008 Yellow ZHZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The Corsa exhaust nd headers on my LT4 make it sound great. I love the exhaust sound. I dont find it to loud. But the sound is an individual thing.

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

More then the loud factor is the resonance factor on the C4. IMO the best system out there is the Corsa X pipe cat back systems. Quiet on the road and a great sound when you hit the go pedal........Pricey though......and I think 2.5 inch pipes are more then adequate for the power your car makes......and that will save some money....

I have run the Corsas on my C5 and now my C6 and love to listen to them make music.......
    Last edited by Huskerman; 04-25-13 at 07:26 AM.

Corvette(s)
    1996 Grand Sport 917, 1996 Polo Green LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have the Corsa Cat back system on my polo green LT4 and love the sound. Its not to much
    while crusing but you definately here it when you run through the gears. I don't even listen to
    the radion anymore.

Corvette(s)
    84 Crossfire 96 LT4 Torch Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag Exhaust

Guys I have the Exhaust Eliminators thru the cats 3"" and idon't hear the sound inside BUT outside when on it it is great. Cruising at 55-65 in sixthgear quiet as a mouse radio automaticly gets louder as noise increases so I hear it fine The exhaust is 3"" stock so why make it smaller ??

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut96lt4 View Post
    Guys I have the Exhaust Eliminators thru the cats 3"" and idon't hear the sound inside BUT outside when on it it is great. Cruising at 55-65 in sixthgear quiet as a mouse radio automaticly gets louder as noise increases so I hear it fine The exhaust is 3"" stock so why make it smaller ??

Yeah you're right 2.5" is too small for the LT-4.....but I think I saw them listed at 2 3/4" as the stock size. So 3" would work.....was the LT-1 2.5"?

Corvette(s)
    1996 C4, LT-4 Polo Green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I didn't even know the LT had over 2.5's. Now the Corsa's was that with long tubes as well?...........

Corvette(s)
    2008 Yellow ZHZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The corsa to my knowledge is from the cts back,, but I will say it sounds great and doesnt drone at hwy speeds.

Corvette(s)
    2008 Yellow ZHZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I saw them at Mid America corvette parts on sale for 1600.00. Its made from stainless and has 4 outlets 2 on each side. I like that look better than the rectangular one that was stock

Corvette(s)
    1996 C4, LT-4 Polo Green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I think I am confusing some of the modern terminology, is there a definition link? IE are long tubes equal too long tube headers etc.?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by TANWare View Post
    I think I am confusing some of the modern terminology, is there a definition link? IE are long tubes equal too long tube headers etc.?
    Yes they are. For more power the stock exhaust manifolds are replaced by long tube headers and then the cats and then the Corsa set up. Some leave the cats off at that point but you will not pass inspection in most States.

Corvette(s)
    1996 C4, LT-4 Polo Green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerman View Post
    Yes they are. For more power the stock exhaust manifolds are replaced by long tube headers and then the cats and then the Corsa set up. Some leave the cats off at that point but you will not pass inspection in most States.
    Thanks, I am kind of an Eco guy so the cat's stay. When I was looking for a second car at first a Vette was not a consideration until I learned I could easily get 28-30 MPG highway. With the 6 speed you get mileage/performance ratio as more user controllable than with an automatic trans. I went trough a lot of sould searching before this purchase.

There in lies the other dilemma for me. The more mods put in the faster fuel can be used up. I refuse to put in mods that will under the same driving conditions and usage use up more fuel or put out more pollutants. Now any mod that could increase fuel economy and/or reduce pollutants without effecting performance is more than welcome, tech does change and improve over 17 years.

Corvette(s)
    1996 Grand Sport 917, 1996 Polo Green LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks, I am kind of an Eco guy so the cat's stay. When I was looking for a second car at first a Vette was not a consideration until I learned I could easily get 28-30 MPG highway. With the 6 speed you get mileage/performance ratio as more user controllable than with an automatic trans. I went trough a lot of sould searching before this purchase.
    Corvettes get great gas milage. You may be able to acheive 28-30 MPG highway on flat, smooth roads doing 55-60 MPH in 6th gear but a more realistic number is 23-25 MPG.
    I got 23 MPG on average according to the computer doing 70 on the NYS thruway going up to Lake George a few years ago.

Make sure you tell all your ECO buddies they need to be driving Corvettes as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast