Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    1996 C4, LT-4 Polo Green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Coming back from VA, the lie-o-meter was showing 28+mpg. I tend to believe it was close as about 60 miles in we filled up and when home we only needed about 10 gallons to fill back up, total trip 363 miles one way not including several rest stops for liquid depletion. So I am happy so far. I just got the K&N in from UPS and installed it.

I will say it appears like the filter has never been changed before. it was extremely dirty and full of lint or something like that. The car though runs a bit better.

I don't know about top end but low end is smoother with a clean air filter. The engine at low RPM's doesn't feel like it is loading up as much or should I say lugging. Slowly but surely the car is feeling better and better.

I have to wonder about the prior owner(s). Dirty Air filter, broken right front TPM, Old oil change sticker was dated "change by 4/2011 or 34,000 miles". With 33,000 miles I can see somewhat delaying maintenance but personally I would not have delayed these things this long. I guess there has to be some forgiveness, as I am the 5th owner so who knows what others have done as there are no real records...............
    Last edited by TANWare; 04-26-13 at 08:14 PM.

Corvette(s)
    1996 Grand Sport 917, 1996 Polo Green LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thats great mileage TANWare.

The new K&N, or any clean air filter will definately make a big difference in throttle response. I have the K&N, and a Corsa cat back exhaust on my polo green
    LT4 and I can definately feel the difference compared to my bone stock Grand Sport.

Corvette(s)
    1996 C4, LT-4 Polo Green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yeah, that is what I figured. With only 33,000 even being neglected a bit there is not much of an issue.

air_filter-jpg

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post

That's soooo not gonna happen.

If you want to reduce restriction enough to see a practical improvement in performance, you're going to have to put on an aftermarket system and none of them are as quiet as stock.
    Hib, speaking of 3" exhaust, I was wondering if you had a general opinion of Billy Boat exhausts for the LT4, and the 3" version in particular. (Year: 1996 - LT-4, 3") I suppose I'm mostly asking about overall quality, warranty, etc. Sound is mostly a personal preference, but I'd be interested in any thoughts you have on that, as well. What about Borla?

I ask about Billy Boat and Borla, because my Corvette mechanic has recommended Borla, but says B&B is also very good. I'm leaning towards the B&B because the Borla now use standard LT1 tips, which is not appealing to me. I prefer the dual round tips for each muffler. I figure an exhaust is as much an aesthetic choice (sound and looks) as it is a perfomance choice. I'm not sure which sounds better to me, yet. I have to do some more checking on that.

So, I guess I'm asking for an objective opinion, since I respect your opinion after reading reading many of your posts. (sorry, I'm not really trying to butter your bread, just to get an answer... not too much at least!)

Thanks in advance for any info you have!

Corvette(s)
    84 Crossfire 96 LT4 Torch Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag Breathing Improvements

Just my $.02 I had a spoiler on my 84 called a graber it will give you more intaket kinda forced the air to the center into my hood intakes for the T B s they make them for the L T 4 also that may help. I am going to get one from C C in the catolog. about $ 180.00 I think . I also have an air foil piece in my intake it directs the intake equealy i think this makes a difference. worht a try these L T 4s are beasts. check this site Stock L T4s tested HP ran from 340 to 380 off the shelf just stock check it out

Corvette(s)
    1996 C4, LT-4 Polo Green
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The one bad thing about ram air is you can't see the numbers off a dyno nor tune for it. The problem is the air is not moving over the vehicle for the ram air to operate while sitting stationary on the dyno............................

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LT4CE View Post
    Hib, speaking of 3" exhaust, I was wondering if you had a general opinion of Billy Boat exhausts for the LT4, and the 3" version in particular. (Year: 1996 - LT-4, 3") I suppose I'm mostly asking about overall quality, warranty, etc. Sound is mostly a personal preference, but I'd be interested in any thoughts you have on that, as well. What about Borla?

I ask about Billy Boat and Borla, because my Corvette mechanic has recommended Borla, but says B&B is also very good. I'm leaning towards the B&B because the Borla now use standard LT1 tips, which is not appealing to me. I prefer the dual round tips for each muffler. I figure an exhaust is as much an aesthetic choice (sound and looks) as it is a perfomance choice. I'm not sure which sounds better to me, yet. I have to do some more checking on that.

So, I guess I'm asking for an objective opinion, since I respect your opinion after reading reading many of your posts. (sorry, I'm not really trying to butter your bread, just to get an answer... not too much at least!)

Thanks in advance for any info you have!
    Billy Boat's exhausts work well, usually fit ok, they are about the loudest on the market that still uses mufflers and they're really expensive. I was under the impression that B&B and Billy Boat are the same company.

I'm not a Borla fan. I don't care for the sound and some of Borla's stuff is made offshore. I've talked to folks who've bought them and had fit problems. I think Borla makes some aftermarket systems which are almost as loud as Boat's.

Borla and Boat/B&B are much different. Boat's stuff is better quality.

For my C4 I build a custom system using Flowmaster and stock parts. It works well but is not nearly as loud as a Billy Boat system. My Wife, the Fairest Sandra the Red and I, have driven that C4 all over the country in the last 20 years and we'd have never "lived though" the trips with a loud exhaust. There's an old article here on the CAC about how I did that system.
    How to Build a C4 LT1/4/5 Exhaust that Gains 28 hp and...is Quiet

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Billy Boat's exhausts work well, usually fit ok, they are about the loudest on the market that still uses mufflers and they're really expensive. I was under the impression that B&B and Billy Boat are the same company.

I'm not a Borla fan. I don't care for the sound and some of Borla's stuff is made offshore. I've talked to folks who've bought them and had fit problems. I think Borla makes some aftermarket systems which are almost as loud as Boat's.

Borla and Boat/B&B are much different. Boat's stuff is better quality.

For my C4 I build a custom system using Flowmaster and stock parts. It works well but is not nearly as loud as a Billy Boat system. My Wife, the Fairest Sandra the Red and I, have driven that C4 all over the country in the last 20 years and we'd have never "lived though" the trips with a loud exhaust. There's an old article here on the CAC about how I did that system.
    How to Build a C4 LT1/4/5 Exhaust that Gains 28 hp and...is Quiet
    Thanks for the info Hib. B&B is expensive, as is the Corsa. The least expensive seems to be Magnaflow, but in spite of Mario Andretti endorsing them, I've heard there are quality issues there. Believe it or not, I had already read your article about building the exhaust! So I figured you might know some additional details about the two exhausts I'm interested in. I appreciate your perspective.

Corvette(s)
    lol...(ie: 1987 Bright Red Coupe)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by jmhorn52 View Post
    I saw them at Mid America corvette parts on sale for 1600.00. Its made from stainless and has 4 outlets 2 on each side. I like that look better than the rectangular one that was stock
    That could be what I have on my (new to me) LT4. It sounds great and has the four round outlets made outa stainless. I'm thinking headers are a definite addition at some point.

This is my first day researching the LT4 and I'm (tickled pink, stoked, pumped) exited at the incredible small block that chevy lied about in this year corvette. haha! What a fun problem to luck into.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12