Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by ameribrit View Post
    Before I purchased the CE/LT4 I was in the market for a ZR1. The ZR1 engine is fantastic and all, but the car really does not outperform the LT4 coupe and the LT4 engine may be more forgiving down the road, as it was not put together by GM (Mercury Marine). I have heard the engine is pretty much trouble free and built very well. Anyhow, I decided that the LT4 was a better deal and would have lower long term carrying costs, while being just as exclusive. The ZR1 does have a cooler interior and has the panache, but I didn't want to fight for parts on the engine down the road. Either one is really a good deal now.
    ZR-1.http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/...ad.php?t=10647 Well as far as servicing and parts avale. please read the thread from the zr-1 registry. Guy had a bad engine noise-was solved and part found all in 2 hours.
    As Far as the Lt4 original engine overhaul kits are no longer.
    What parts Lt5 are people not finding?

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That LT5 had a bad water pump and was a home remedy, with thanks to the Internet Forums. Where would us backyard hackers be without it! I had a bad climate control in my LT4 and with help from this forum, solved that problem with a little cleaning of the electronics. Would have had no clue how to remove the unit without forum help.

ZR1s are great cars and a definately a great deal for the money. Glad to hear that some of the user replaceable parts are still readily available!

Merry Xmas!

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The BEST deal out there is the 96 CE w/LT4. The Grand Sport unfairly overshadows and there is always going to be a limited appeal small group that will like the shades of shocking blue/red-orange and black wheels. Here are some facts to ponder on GS vs CE w/LT4:

- 1000 GS units
    - 1300 CE/LT4 units

300 units, thats the only significant difference besides some larger wheels and the paint job (much better appeal in the CE IMO). Yet, the GS commands upwards of twice the price??

Please don't misunderstand, I am not putting down the GS at all, its a great collectible car. No question that both of these cars have great potential in the long haul, but if you had a choice between the two and all things equal (and even if you had questionable aesthetic taste ) you would be nutz not to choose the CE LT4.

As for the 70 LT1 - thats my dream some day. A good friend of my dad had two LT1s - 70/71 - which he kept garaged until he died 2 years ago.

Cheers
    I'm new to CAC, so I'm browsing through some of these interesting threads and felt like adding my $0.02 to this one, since I've just recently purchased an LT4 CE.

Originally when I thought I'd finally be able to buy a Corvette, I decided that I wanted a C4 ZR-1, probably for all the reasons that most would want a ZR-1 (prestige, horsepower, etc.) I found a relatively low mileage '92 black ZR-1, but it was sold while I was on vacation. After that, I had an opportunity for another ZR-1, a relatively low mileage '91 (actually it's still available, I believe, for under $17k) but I didn't like the color... it's dark red metallic, which isn't bad, but I've always wanted a silver Vette.

In terms of potential future re-sale value, I read that ZR-1's were dropping in value now, which made sense when I found out that they made 2,044 ZR-1's in '91. Yes, they made fewer in subsequent years, so ’92 – ’95 ZR-1s have going for them in terms of re-sale value.

Then I talked to a Corvette mechanic who said the repairs would be more expensive for the LT5 motor than they would be for the LT4, even though he could get the parts for the LT5 fairly easily.

After that I read that the LT4, which was rated by Chevy at 330hp (probably under what it actually puts out) compared pretty favorably to the 375hp LT5 ZR-1's. I believe the LT5 jumped to 405hp in 1993, but I never saw a '93 or later ZR-1 advertised that was in my price range.

So I gave up on buying a ZR-1. I thought if I bought a later model year standard C4 (i.e. '95 or '96) that it might be easier to find something with low mileage. Although I just couldn’t get past wanting something more than the standard C4. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much love all Corvettes, unless they've been junked up a lot, which isn't the car's fault, but the owner’s!

So I started looking at LT4's, which narrowed the model year down to 1996. Then I realized that the non-CE LT4's really weren't being sold for that much more, if at all, than standard C4's, and of course none of them were silver. So once I caught on to the simple fact that if I wanted a silver Vette, it had to be a CE, that made things easier for me. I found a couple of LT1 CE's advertised that weren't that much more than standard C4's. Throw in the fact that I decided my Vette had to be a stick and my decision was pretty much made.

I did not see a single C4 GS advertised in almost six months of searching ads in the SF Bay Area. Maybe there were a few, but I didn't see them. And even if I found one, I’d be paying ’92 – ’95 ZR-1 money to get one. I’m not a big fan of the GS paint scheme either.

So I started to add all this up and when I factored in probable lower repair costs, possible future value and the fact that I wanted a silver Vette with a stick, I pretty much had to have a LT4 CE. I found one with the gray leather interior and discovered that it is one of just 625 made with that configuration (source: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c4/1996/96prod.html).

Then the particles in the universe took over and within a week of coming to the conclusion that I had to have a LT4 CE, I found what is now my Corvette (a very low mileage Vette in great shape) advertised and the rest is history, or in my case, sweet bliss!

There were 751 LT4 CE's made with black leather interior, so they should be worth something, too. Also 164 with the torch red leather, but even though there are even fewer of those, I just can’t feature a red interior on a silver Vette. The bottom line is that I’m counting on my Vette going up in value (even though I certainly have no plans to ever sell it.) Why? The LT4 motor should become more appreciated as "intmdt8r" also believes. That, combined with the low production numbers and it should cause the value for the LT4 CE’s to go up. At least I hope so!

(sorry for this long-winded rant… in case you’re still even reading!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I just sold my 92 Zr-1. I purchased this as I fixer, replaced a lot of stuff, its just a normal C-4 with the lt5 engine. I have owned A mint 1994 6 speed and good 1996 lt4 and the 92 Z.
    If I were to do it again Id go Lt1/Lt4 and drop on a supercharger. Would be Faster and have better low end torque.
    My 92Z Had A fidanza Flywheel and headers and all the little stuff.
    The Z pretty much is slow off the line and has killer revving the Lt1/4 is MUCH faster off the line but runs out of breath. The supercharger would cure that.
    My next vett will be a lt/ls1 383 with superchrged intake. Period. Good driving.

Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag LPE 383 450 HP Supercar

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Nice post, agree completely! My LT4 CE came with a set of untouched original Goodyear runflats, with the packaging still on the tires, tucked away in a dark A/C space. Someday I will put these back on, but it will be for show way down the road. Cheers!

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 383 lt4

That 383 looks great! What were the engine mods that make up this package on the base LT4?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag Here ya go...

What were the engine mods that make up this package on the base LT4?
    Corvette Action Center - 1996 Corvette LT1 vs. LT4 Engine Comparison

Likes New2LT4 liked this post

Corvette(s)
    96 Collectors Edition LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LT4CE
    Also 164 with the torch red leather, but even though there are even fewer of those, I just can’t feature a red interior on a silver Vette.
    Check out my Avatar.
    An attendee at all the CruiseFests including the one which never happened.

Autosig (Shadow) A

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LT4man View Post
    Check out my Avatar.
    well, maybe I should just change that to... it's not for everyone!

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LT4man View Post
    Check out my Avatar.

Upon closer inspection, I see your LT4 emblem. I've been looking on the internet for something like that but can't find one. I'm afraid they may be difficult, if not impossible to find. Can you point me in the right direction?

not to tread on thin ice, but the only one I found wason eBay, but was not that nice... and it was... red!

(disclaimer: being red wasn't why it wasn't nice!)

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thumbs up Rare - 1 of 53

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LT4CE View Post
    Upon closer inspection, I see your LT4 emblem. I've been looking on the internet for something like that but can't find one. I'm afraid they may be difficult, if not impossible to find. Can you point me in the right direction?

not to tread on thin ice, but the only one I found wason eBay, but was not that nice... and it was... red!

Here is my answer, albeit might be tough in some jurisdictions :

Corvette(s)
    96 Collectors Edition LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LT4CE View Post

My point was some folks like a certain color combination & some folks don't. I guess that is why there are so many choices out there!

I like the Grand Sport with the Torch Red interior. Not many out there, also. Thanks 6 Shooter for the prime example you posted!

When I first purchased my Vette, one needed sunglasses just to look at the interior, much less even getting inside of the darn thing. I immediately bought black sill plates, black cargo mat and black carpet savers to "tone down" the red!

My optometrist says my eyes have not suffered any permanent damage. Thank God for small favors!

If you find an "LT4" emblem, my advice would be to buy it and then paint it the color combo you like. I know there are no red on black ones out there. I have one on my rear bumper and I am keeping it!
    An attendee at all the CruiseFests including the one which never happened.

Autosig (Shadow) A

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here is my answer, albeit might be tough in some jurisdictions :
    Excellent idea! I will check into it, thanks!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast