Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: serpentine belt

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

When I bought my '92 back in 2006, I replaced the serpentine belt with an OE belt. Slipped right on, no issues. That belt started to crack and show signs of accelerated aging recently, so I bought a "Gatorback" belt from Autozone. The Gatorback belt was so tight I could not slip it over the alternator as a previous member has reported. I ended up partially removing the alternator, from its mounting bracket, so I could slip the belt over the pulley, then mounting the alternator back in place. After bolting the alternator back in, I checked the tensioner pulley and everything seemed to be OK, it still had room to move and was not bound up. A buddy with an LT4 had the same problem, but he ended up prying his on (ouch).

CG

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Replaced mine last Sunday, I couldn't slip it over the alternator, however instead of over the alternator pulley, I slipped it over the power steering pulley, without having to pry it on.
    Corvette Owner since 1989

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Forgot to say that I used a "Goodwrench Drive Belt" 6RIB-1698mm, #10230259.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Goodyear makes their "Gatorback" belts for that application.

I've got Gatorbacks on all my engines that use serpetine belts and they work very well. They run a bit cooler and have great durability.

You can order Gatorback belts and most Goodyear tire dealer and autoparts vendors which sell Goodyear belts and hoses.

Agree, Autozone sells it.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN C4 View Post
    "After 10 years and four belts it have gotten easier"

You've changed them on the average of every 2-1/2 years? Why are they not lasting any longer than that?

Should get at least 50,000 miles out of one.
    Ensure your belt is the righyt belt and it is installed properly. Yes, 50,000 should be the minimum that a belt could last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Not all belts are the same for LT1's. 92-93E use a double sided belt. Good luck finding one - Dealer only (or catalog).

George- did you swap pullies to fit a regular belt?
    "flying past everything, except speedbumps!"
    Mods: GS front calipers, White GS rims, 3" custom exhaust, SLP headers, B&M Shifter, DeWitts, Camber Brace, 30MM Front Sway Bar on FE1 suspension, Raybrigs @ night, and some Wet Okoles

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Topless View Post
    Not all belts are the same for LT1's. 92-93E use a double-sided belt. Good luck finding one - Dealer only (or catalog).

George- did you swap pulley's to fit a regular belt?
    When I bought the "Gatorback" belt I noticed that it was not double-sided, but I figured Goodyear knew what they were doing. I did not swap or change any pulley's when I installed it. Despite the Gatorback belt not being double-sided, there is plenty of tension (grip) on it to operate properly and not slip. Seems to be working great so far. I may have gotten a "bad" OE belt from my local dealer because it did not even last 14 months.

CG

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey I thought just like all of you that I had after market pully or needed a special tool for a the standard LT1/4 DAYCO belt I bought from Pepboys, it just would not fit over the alt, it was so damn tight, seemed like the belt was just to small.

I then decided to route the belt over the alt and ac compressor and basically over the crankshaft pully and then pull the tensioner toward you (standing on drivers side) and slide the belt on at the tensioner, there is no lip to deal with on the tensioner and I was able to do this one handed, it will go on and then line up on the top side of the crankshaft pully, jiggle it back and forth till it lines up on the top of the crank pully.

Took me about 5 mins total. You dont need a longer belt or special tools or loosen alt brakets, just route the belt and slip it over the tensioner while pulled back as far as it will go.

As far as belts not lasting very long is usually because it was either not aligned correctly or slightly to big causing the belt to wear faster under load. That is why the stock belt is tighter than hell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12