Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Ooops! Broken bolt...now what

My thermostat was sticking so I decided to change it out. 20 minute job, right? First bolt comes out fine, the other one snapped. I've broken about 8 drill bits and also snapped an easy out. I can't drive it so I will have to have it towed to get it fixed, or remove the manifold and have someone fix it. By the time I do all of that I might as well buy a new manifold, right? I've never removed an intake manifold so I don't really know what is involved. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I feel your pain. This type of problem is frustrating. An Intake swap to an Edelbrock performer is easy enough, or, if you want to keep it stock, I have my original manifold I was going to list on ebay some day that is cleaned up and is like new. PM me if interested. But otherwise, this may be a good time/ excuse to buy a high end VSR drill and a quality set of cobalt drill bits and easy outs. The thing can be removed, you just have to be more stubborn than the bolt!

God bless, Sensei

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Pulling the intake is not a bad job, except for all the junk GM piled on top of it.

It looks like you still have some bolt sticking out- if you heat the intake with a propane torch (Carefully! remember there's gas in that carb!) grab the end of that bolt with a good vise grip, it might come out. You already drilled it- are you dead center? Drill all the way thru the bolt with a 1/8 bit, then keep increasing the size a little at a time until you get to 11/32, then get a 3/8x24 tap and rethread the hole. If you're NOT in the center your new hole will be off and make it tough to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It's not in the center and there is a good half inch inside the manifold. I'll wrestle with it tomorrow. If I don't get it to move, I may jst get a new manifold. From what I've read most go with the Edelbrock 3701. Is that basically a replacement? Would there be anything different about this intake than the stock intake as far as installation? My car is not numbers matching so if I have to replace something it might as well be new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Intake manifold is a simple job. Just take pics of everything before you disconnect stuff so you can remember where everything is supposed to go when you reinstall it.

(like which way the rotor is pointing)

1/2" masking tape and a sharpie is good for marking the wires at the distributor cap.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You CAN drive it....just not a long distance and not in real hot weather.

Pull out the 'stat. Refill the system to just below the 'stat's location. Reinstall the 'stat. Then put a new water outlet gasket in place with RTV smeared on both sides. Put the water outlet back on with the remaining bolt. Wait several hours for the RTV to dry.

Fill the radiator. Tighten the cap only to the first detent so the system won't build pressure.

Then drive the car. Stop after the first couple of miles and check the coolant level. If the thermostat gasket is leaking, add coolant.

As long as the system doesn't get over 212 and you keep adding coolant if it's leaking out, you probably can drive quite a ways at reasonable speeds this way...certainly far enough to get the car to a service shop which can remove the intake and drill out that bolt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Moser28 View Post
    My thermostat was sticking so I decided to change it out. 20 minute job, right? First bolt comes out fine, the other one snapped. I've broken about 8 drill bits and also snapped an easy out. I can't drive it so I will have to have it towed to get it fixed, or remove the manifold and have someone fix it. By the time I do all of that I might as well buy a new manifold, right? I've never removed an intake manifold so I don't really know what is involved. Any suggestions?
    yes me too. this is what it looked like.