Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    centsless

Default Console side boards

I bought new side boards because mine were destroyed. I have the new boards and new carpet, but something is not right. I believe I have the correct boards for the car (early 81) but if I line the holes up with the car, the boards do not really follow the contour of the top of the console. My new carpet does not quite line up on the new boards either. Anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This may not be helpful, but, the front of the console cover carries some weight from the center of the dash, and the nearest support is half way back along the console. This causes the console top plate to arch, which does not line up with the top of the side plates. I have had this happen twice now, and ended up putting a supplemental support at the front of the console.

Cheers

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I bought new carpet from ACC and had the original console side boards. The carpet came pre-cut for these side boards and would not fit; edges just would not line-up. I tried to cut new side boards using the carpet pieces as guides and that did not work very well either. I ended up using a wire mesh and glued it to the back of the carpet pieces. Fits great...just will not take any kind of an impact without bending so I do have to reform it when needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Not much help from me either. Alway hated the cartboard things. Bending when the wiringharnes was laying against it. Took everything out and am now bussy with steel.

But for your question, the cartboard and carpet can be modified without a problem so and It need to follow the upper line to fit (centerconsole etc) so I think you'll be able to make it a perfect fit

Groeten Peter

centsless

Went back to it a few days later, and it went right together. Don't know what I was doing wrong the first time... Glued the carpet to the new sideboards, then trimmed the carpet to the board and they went right on!