Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    '81 dark blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Gerry, the original carb I posted about building is now long gone. It was a core someone gave me and all of it's parts (choke thermostat, pulloff, TPS, M/C solenoid) were there and working properly, so I had very little overhead with it. I also rebuilt another member's core for his performance engine, but to date, neither has their vehicle on the road. I'm hoping one or both will post results on this thread soon, as that was the entire point.

If you would like me to build one for you, I can do it for that price if you can supply a complete rebuildable core with all components working properly. Be aware, choke thermostats are usually bad and other components may be as well. If I have to buy these parts, that is not included. I could also look around for a core here, but you would have to cover the cost.

Gerry, you know, after the ordeal we went through on those heads that I am honest and will treat you right. If interested, PM me.

God bless, Sensei

Those with Modified Engines and Original Carb GerryLP's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by sensei
    Gerry, you know, after the ordeal we went through on those heads that I am honest and will treat you right. If interested, PM me.
    Chris,

I recall perfectly fine that you are a stand-up person and I already know that you will be extremely fair on this transaction. I just got to see if I find an electronically-controlled Q-Jet to modify.

Since you brought it up, I will tell everyone the story behind the heads you mentioned....A couple of years ago, or maybe closer to 3, I was on my rebuild mode for my L81 engine. The shop I took my engine for the machining/servicing of the engine parts (Edward's Engines) has an outstanding reputation in Albuquerque, and for that, one gets to pay a 20% higher premium on the same services any other machine shop would charge, but the quality of work shows. Anyway, Edward's Engines told me that the original heads were cracked (something very common with 624 heads caused by higher exhaust temperatures and the lightening of the heads during production/casting). So I embarked on a cylinder head search to at least get as close to the production dates as I could with the replacement heads. I must' ve spent nearly $400 dollars in shipping charges getting the heads that some of our CAC members had offered me including Lanny and Sensei. I also had bought some heads in eBay as well that turned-out to be cracked as well. So by the time I was dealing with Chris, I was ready to offer to pay for the inspection of his original heads before shipping them to me, so in turn I could save the shipping cost and disappointment later since it had proven to be likely to find the cylinder heads cracked. So, Chris takes them to a buddy of his, and they told him that the cylinder heads were good, except that later it comes out in the wash that they did not used die penetrant or some other method to check them (they just had eye-ball'ed them). So of course , I get them here and found one head cracked, and when I spoke with Chris he found it hard to believe, but offered to talk to his buddy, and of course he found out what I already told you earlier in here, so then a day later, Chris calls me and offered me a full refund!!! I thought, "what an honest and stand-up guy Chris is!", so given that one head came out ok, I countered offered that he could refund me for the cost on one cylinder head, and he did.

That's how I know that Chris will help anyone here with this carburetor modifications. This is my testimonial on Chris' honesty and all around good person nature.

GerryLP

Corvette(s)
    1981 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Gerry, Cris,

I picked up one of Cris's rebuilds a couple of weeks back. If you are following other threads I also just got my rear end leveled out, the car that is. I'm going to put Cris's rebuilt card on my Vette this weekend. I'm putting it on my stock L81 just for reference, I have a stroker motor in the process of being assembled. I started down the road with the PROCOMP alluminum heads but have changed my mind since they have raised intake runners meaning only a couple of intake manifolds will work with them and I don't plan on making huge HP numbers. I also want to stay as close to the original look as I can.

I'll post the results of my Rochester experience soon.

If interested in the PROCOMPs let me know, they have never been bolted to an engine. They flow big numbers but they require an aftermarket intake manifold.

Drive 'em like you stole 'em!!!!
    r/Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GerryLP View Post
    Chris,

I recall perfectly fine that you are a stand-up person and I already know that you will be extremely fair on this transaction. I just got to see if I find an electronically-controlled Q-Jet to modify.

Since you brought it up, I will tell everyone the story behind the heads you mentioned....A couple of years ago, or maybe closer to 3, I was on my rebuild mode for my L81 engine. The shop I took my engine for the machining/servicing of the engine parts (Edward's Engines) has an outstanding reputation in Albuquerque, and for that one gets to pay a 20% higher premium on the same services any other machine shop woul charge, but the quality of work shows. Anyway, Edward's Engines told me that the original heads were cracked (something very common with 624 heads caused by higher exhaust temperatures and the lightening of the heads during production/casting). So I embarked on a cylinder head search to at least get as close to the production dates as I cool with the replacement heads. I must' ve spent nearly $400 dollars in shipping charges getting the heads that some of our CAC members had offered me including Lanny and Sensei. I also had bought some heads in eBay as well that turned-out to be cracked as well. So by the time I was dealing with Chris, I was ready to offer to pay for the inspection of his original heads before shipping them to me, so in turn I coul save the shipping cost and disappointment later of likely to find the cylinder heads cracked. So, Chris tajes them to a buddy of his, and they told him that the cylinder heads were good, except that later it comes out in the wash that they did not used die penetrant or some other method to check them (they just had eye-ball'ed them). So of course , I get them here and found one head cracked, and when I spoke with Chris he found it hard to believe, but offered to talk to his buddy, and of course he found out what I already told you readers earlier, so then a day later, Chris calls me and offered me a full refund!!! I thought, " what an honest and stand-up guy Chris is!", so given that one heAd came out ok, I countered offered that he could refund me for the cost on one cylinder head, and he did.

That's how I know that Chris will help anyone here with this carburetor modifications. This is my testimonial on Chris' honesty and all around good person nature.

GerryLP

Corvette(s)
    1981 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Cris, I have installed the Rochester you rebuilt for me and all I have to say is , "WOW!!!" Those tires talked to me when I got on it and hit second. It has that unmistakeable roar when those secondaries open up. And this is sitting on top of my tired L-81, I can't wait to get it on top of my stroker motor. This carb will easily feed a 450-500 HP bowtie masterpiece. I'll update everyone when I get the motor back from the dyno. I'm going to try and talk them into making a couple of pulls with the old carb too.

Great work, Cris, you are the MASTER!!!

thanks,
    r/Ron

Those with Modified Engines and Original Carb 22229stingray81's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1981 white/blue interior automatic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'd be VERY interested in seeing those dyno numbers.

-Tatortot

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

So Chris,

I am curious about the regular adjustments made to the E4ME.

If and when I get a Q-Jet and you get to modify it, then would I still need to adjust the air valve with the Dwell gage (or any other adjustments)? Or would I just receive the carb as-is from you and it will be ready to roll?

The reason I also ask is that I am at 5,000' of altitude...

GerryLP

p.s. Maybe you can achieve different levels of performance on the Q-Jet modifications and market them as, "Green Belt, Brown belt, and Black Belt" modifications...lol

Corvette(s)
    '81 dark blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

... would I still need to adjust the air valve with the Dwell gage (or any other adjustments)? Or would I just receive the carb as-is from you and it will be ready to roll?

The reason I also ask is that I am at 5,000' of altitude...
    I put all the carbs I build on my car and adjust/ test them before sending them out, so it should work as is (GM adjusted them all at the same location). That said, It would not hurt to check/ fine tune the idle air bleed and mixture screws on your car if you know how.

p.s. Maybe you can achieve different levels of performance on the Q-Jet modifications and market them as, "Green Belt, Brown belt, and Black Belt" modifications...lol
    I like that!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Chris,

I have been meaning to tell you that I found an L81 Carb (by P/N), and that I wanted to send it to you for the mods. It would probably need to be gone-over with a rebuild, since it "appears" to be semi-virgin......you know, the idle jet plugs have been cut, and the air valve cover is gone, but the choke housing still has the rivets on the housing.

How's your Christmas schedule?

GerryLP

Corvette(s)
    '81 dark blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

How's your Christmas schedule?

GerryLP
    Busy, just like the rest of the year .

Send it to me and I'll get it done but it will take a few weeks.

God bless, Sensei

Corvette(s)
    2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

sounds great BUT will it still pass smog inspection ???

Corvette(s)
    '81 dark blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It should, but I make no guarantees. Most of the mods only effect WOT performance, unless you are running a highly modified engine that might need idle circuit modification. In that case, I doubt you are concerned about smog inspection anyway.

Corvette(s)
    '81 Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hello Chris,

My carb is leaking fuel past the little bolts (with epoxy) I installed earlier. Are you using special fuel resistant epoxy or not? Now I have all winter to fix the problem
    Thanks,

Greetings Peter

Corvette(s)
    '81 dark blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Putting epoxy on leaking plugs is like smearing tar on a leaking roof. It might work for a while, but it is bound to leak again.

When I do this repair, I combine it with opening the fuel passages for higher fuel flow potential. I remove the old pressed in plugs, precision drill (open) the fuel passages and tap (thread) the holes. I then cut a about a 1/4" long piece of stainless steel threaded rod, and slot the end of it for a flat head screwdriver. I then coat the threads with epoxy (JB Weld or equivalent) and screw them into the holes to make a permanently sealed repair.

God bless, Sensei

Corvette(s)
    '81 Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    When I do this repair, I combine it with opening the fuel passages for higher fuel flow potential. I remove the old pressed in plugs, precision drill (open) the fuel passages and tap (thread) the holes. I then cut a about a 1/4" long piece of stainless steel threaded rod, and slot the end of it for a flat head screwdriver. I then coat the threads with epoxy (JB Weld or equivalent) and screw them into the holes to make a permanently sealed repair.

God bless, Sensei
    Did the same thing but two plugs (or rods) are leaking. But I'll see what the problem is

Looks like JB weld works alot better then the epoxy I used within the treads. Found somebody here in Holland who sells it so I'm going to use that. Thanks!

Greetings Peter

EC_BG124

Very interested, PM sent.

EDIT...

Aparently my PMs arent sending... What I wrote was -

Hi,

I wrote a lengthy PM but apparently it didn't send... Hmmm

Anyway, If you'd be interested in making a few coins I'd really appreciate someone who knows what they're doing rebuilding my Q-Jet. I just brought home my 81 and it's running really rich, to the point of having fouled plugs. I'm going to go through the whole CCC manual, but a fresh carb will make a good start. If you're interested, please reply with your address and what you need from me to start. my email is ec928nc AT hotmail DOT com. Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast