Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default distibutor cover ground strap

been looking through my AIM and the only information I can find is where this ground strap connects to the cover, trying to figure out where the other end connects...

distibutor cover ground strap GerryLP's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
    been looking through my AIM and the only information I can find is where this ground strap connects to the cover, trying to figure out where the other end connects...
    Lance,

I can't remember where I saw it on the assembly manual, but it goes behind the cylinder head on the passenger side with the starter harness grounds. It is a PITA for someone like myself (big hands). The bolt is short enough to fit between the head and the firewall, and it is long enough to grip the 3 ground terminals. Is doable. Just need patience. Good luck.
    GerryLP

Corvette(s)
    78 Pace,black 79 and white 79, all L82s
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

A few years earlier, 78-79, it simply attached to the upper rear passenger side valve cover bolt.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the information. I am looking at Corvette Central to replace this missing ground strap. I assume the "ground strap set w/o power antenna 81-82" is what I need. I am curious if this may be one of the reasons I have no AM when my engine is running, but who knows.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Lance,

How funny you mentioned that you don't have am with the engine running, for I was just today talking to a technician about my factory's stereo am band not working. But my problem is the same with the engine running or not.

You could have just grounded the cover with a regular wire to test your theory...you know?

GerryLP
    GerryLP

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

So I could just try to wire a household type ground wire and see what happens? I don't know a whole lot about auto wiring and I'm always afraid to mess with the vettes wiring (ever since I screwed up my power locks a couple of years ago trying to get them to work, I started messing with the wires and messed it up instead of just cleaning the contacts like an IDIOT). Somehow I wired my whole refinished basement so I guess I should understand wiring, but most of that had existing wiring and I worked on building homes before.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
    So I could just try to wire a household type ground wire and see what happens? I don't know a whole lot about auto wiring and I'm always afraid to mess with the vettes wiring (ever since I screwed up my power locks a couple of years ago trying to get them to work, I started messing with the wires and messed it up instead of just cleaning the contacts like an IDIOT). Somehow I wired my whole refinished basement so I guess I should understand wiring, but most of that had existing wiring and I worked on building homes before.
    Yeah, just get a piece of electrical wire and pinch it under the wing nut of the ignition cover and connect the other end to a clean/unpainted surface point on the engine (metal surface).

But this ground wire is designed to eliminate the interference signal from the ignition coil. I doubt that your AM band would be completely blocked by this interference.
    GerryLP

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Found the ground tucked deep down and connected. Didn't fix anything with the AM but got to try. Ground looks good at antennae. Wonder if just needs a new radio...?