$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ken sounds like he has lived a wonderful life and made an impression to many many good people.

I'm sorry to hear he has passed on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Calvin View Post
    I've been away from the forum for quite some time. It was with deep sadness that I returned upon the receipt of the notice of Kens passing.
    I have also been away (too long). I could not have said it better then the member above.
    My only addition is that I did s/w and deal with Ken briefly here on the forum. From reading the posts from other members, I only wish I knew him better.
    Rest in peace.

Ed

Mike Rice

Default Ken's passing

Sad to hear long time 'Vette lover gone. May he rest in peace until we meet again!
    Mike
    '94 ZR-1

Corvette(s)
    1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default OMG, this one hurts.

Ken, buddy, we were due for another burger, dammit!

Ken and I only met twice, but we were instant brothers. He got me and my fast antique all the way to Redondo, even with some needed last minute vectors. Such was Ken, as mentioned here with some truly touching comments about how he would give you the shirt off his back and more, if you needed it. We shared some triumphs and trials; a bit of disgust when the fast-Vette issues seemed to be never ending, but he boosted me up enough to finish my car and to bring the biggest Corvette smile to my face in decades. Ken, you'll be ever with me when I drive my oldie, even knowing that you had a few cubes on me and probably more oomph,

I (mostly) left the forum after the admin thing, but I always felt Ken knew what worked and what didn't and was not afraid to tell it like he saw it. We saw a lot of it the same.

I know Ken's in a better place and going with his hair afire, as it should be.

Rest easy, buddy.

Mike

Corvette(s)
    1969 Killer Shark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Missing Ken

I also met Ken here many years ago.

Our friendship grew over time. We met in person at Sharkfest 2002 in BG and had an awesome weekend. I still remember doing 140 mph in his 87 Z51 down a back road thinking my life was going to end any second!

His car and his love for Vettes and helping others formed a concrete bond between us. He trailered it down to my house in Florida and we spent a couple of days together working some bugs out and putting it on the dyno. then going to the dragstrip. Some great memories there.

You see, the thing about Ken, was his incredible ability to think about things, and put things in perspective. He helped me through some really tough times.

Ken was there for me when I had personal success doing car stuff, he was there for me when I lost my dad, had my first child, and as I have made many life changes he supported me. He never passed judgment on my decisions. He just listened. He may have been 5,000 miles away, but we could pick up the phone and it was like we were side by side.

I knew he was sick...really sick, so I cherished our opportunities to speak. Ken started walking on faith. He found strength in God and his passion to find a purpose in life enriched me and gave me more momentum.

I can say for a fact, that Ken was at peace. He was frustrated with his condition, but he placed it in God's hands and tried to make the most of his last days. He was still looking for ways to help others and reach out to those in pain...Like I said...What a guy!

I miss you brother!

Corvette Action Center Loses a Valued Member koolaid117's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Anniversary Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

RIP Ken. You will be missed.

Jim
    Life's too short to be unhappy.

Corvette(s)
    1988 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here such a short time, but touched so many...RIP

"What we do for ourselves, dies when we do, what we do for those around us and others is immortal" - Albert Pines

Corvette(s)
    1988 red Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Sorry to hear about a great enthusiates passing, God speed!

Corvette(s)
    1982 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

God speed my friend.

I never met him but I enjoyed his posts and website.

Corvette(s)
    1982 CE, 03 MY Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Never had a chance to meet Ken, but was able to drool over his car at Irwindale Speedway one evening.

I wish I had met him though by all the nice things that are being said about him here...You know he did it right. RIP

Corvette(s)
    04Torch Red Coupe 65 Silver Pearl Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Sad to hear, Rest In Peace Ken.
    [img][/img]

Corvette(s)
    Vette-less for now
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Over seven years I had the good fortune to have known Ken Stapel. Being another of the first few CAC members in the fall of October 2000, I began a friendship over the internet with what certainly seemed the ultimate Corvette enthusiast. Over the next few years as the CAC grew and events were held I met Ken in Bowling Green. You liked Ken right away. He had that infectious "car guy" energy and as all true car guys; had an opinion on everything. As luck would have it my company business took me to Southern California 2-3 times a year. This afforded me the opportunity to share a dinner with Ken and sometimes his brother Bill once or twice a year in Hermosa Beach. Hermosa Beach is a delightful seaside community and Ken's apartment was up on a hill but a mere few blocks from the beach and offered a great view of the Pacific Ocean that anyone would dream of.

Ken's apartment. It was like walking into the Library of Congress - Corvette wing. There was not so much as a sliver of free space on any shelf, bookcase, desk, coffee table, floor that wasn't filled with Corvette books, reports, magazines, CD's, DVD's, models, posters,...... the walls, his computer(S) all Corvette related. I can't begin to imagine what he actually had there; not to mention an enormous music collection as well. A collection that could easily be part of the NCM. And that car....... God did that man love that car.

I saw that car bone stock, stripped bare to the frame and in various stages of repair, upgrade and in operation. It was his love. No matter how sick I saw Ken over the last few years; and Ken truly kept that very close to the heart; when that car was running great Ken looked like a million dollars. I sometimes think for the longest time it was what kept Ken going as his health faded. In all the years I knew him he never let on once just how sick he had become. I think many of us that knew him basically knew those years at the refinerey had caught up with him.

Ken was one of the few people I could pick up a phone with; 24 hrs a day and know that he'd help you in any way he could. He loved the CAC and he loved just talking and interacting with everyone he met. As many have said he was truly one of a kind; and I was both privledged and proud to call him a personal friend.

Adios amigo.......... nut
    Tanned, rested and
    Retired in the Peoples Republic of MD

Corvette Action Center Loses a Valued Member Vettelt193's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    none right now :(
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The World, both real and virtual, will never be the same without you Ken. RIP

Corvette(s)
    2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

God bless Ken and his family.

Remo

2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Vert. 6 Spd, PFADT Coilovers & Sways, Kooks
    LT Headers, high flow cats, X-pipe, Borla Stingers - 469 RWHP, 455 RWTQ.

Blade

Why does God always take the good ones early?

Thanks for sending out an e-mail to all members... like others I don't drop by very often but always enjoyed having fun with Ken on these forums. He was a good sport and didn't mind our fun poking about his shaved head with the photochop pics.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast