Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thank you for posting this. Please let us know when his family releases details on making donations to the Paramedics.
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks Hal. Wish I could be there.
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

VetteObsessed

I'm sooooo sorry. I've been busy with moving to Utah (haven't changed forum info yet either) from SoCal, fixing up the house, new job, sold my 82ce, blah blah blah, etc.... No excuse, but this came as a shock to me. Great guy.

Yes, please let us know about who to make a donation to, since I can't be there in person. If I could, I'd be there in the C5 since I sold my 82ce a week before Christmas. Blessings to his family and friends. I think Ken is in a better place and is watching over all us car freaks, waiting for us to get to heaven to see him again.

Godspeed Ken, you made an impression in my life and many others. Thank you!

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe; W/6-Speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There was also some questions about sending flowers or cards. Ken's brother Bill has suggested that, in lieu of flowers, consider a donation to the charity of the Paramedics who came so often to help Ken in his last months
    Please do keep us posted on when and how we can send a donation in Ken's honor, our prayers and thoughts are with his family.

God Bless And Keep You All; Ken is in a place we can't even begin to imagine.

Bill For Ken

Corvette(s)
    62 Maroon, 03 Anniversary Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Charitable Donations for Ken Stapel

Thanks to all of you for your continued comments about Ken. Ken's brother Bill has been on the site and is very touched by all the caring from the Corvette community.

There have been a number of inquiries about where to send flowers and cards to Ken's family. Ken's brother and sister have suggested for those who chose to do so, they ask that you make a charitable donation to Ken's memory. Here is the message from Bill Stapel:
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___

Hi Hal ….Per our discussion today lets ask all of the Corvette people and other friends of Ken who have expressed an interest to send their charitable contributions to the HERMOSA BEACH FIREFIGHTER’S ASSOCIATION (HBFA). The paramedics here at the local firehouse responded with help for Ken on numerous occasions over the last 8 or 9 months and he often talked of doing something for them to note his gratitude. I spoke with Paul Hawkins at the station on Monday and he assured me that all contributions are dedicated to people in need within their organization and without. A tax payer id is available if needed.

ADDRESS
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">HERMOSA</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">BEACH</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> FIREFIGHTER’S ASSOCIATION
    <FONT]<FONT color="#0000ff"><st1:place w:st="on">PO </st1:place>BOX 638
    <st1:place w:st="][SIZE=2"><st1:place][COLOR=#0000ff><st1:City w:st="on">HERMOSA BEACH</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">CALIFORNIA</st1:State> <st1:PostalCode w:st="on">90254</st1:PostalCode><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/ /><o:p></o:p><font color=" /><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial size=2>310-379-0885

<FONT face=Arial><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>I hope this helps.
    <FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>__________________________________________________________________________________________

<FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>To keep all the data in one place, the following is the information about the memorial service and gathering for Ken:

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>Bill and Sandy (Ken’s brother and sister) have decided to have memorial services for Ken on Saturday March 31<SUP>st</SUP> in the afternoon. The church services will begin at <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">American</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Martyrs</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Church</st1:PlaceType> in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan Beach</st1:place></st1:City> in the afternoon around 2 o’clock. The address to the church is:

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>American Martyrs Church</o:p>
    <FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>624 15th Str<FONT face=Arial><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>eet</o:p>
    <FONT face=Arial><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>Manhattan Beach, CA 90266</o:p><FONT face=Arial>
    <FONT face=Arial><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>(310) 545-5651</o:p>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>After the church service, we will all go down to Ricky & Ronnie’s (around 5 o’clock) to have a memorial car gathering for everyone, where thanks to <st1:PersonName w:st="on">Chef Robert Polk</st1:PersonName>, food will be served. We will all have a chance to pay our respects to Ken’s family and share our numerous stories about Ken at both venues (church and Ricky & Ronnie’s).
    <FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>_________________________________________________________________________________ _____________</o:p>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT color=black><o:p><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>Lastly, Ken's nephew is going to try and get into Ken's web site (<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>www.corvetteobsession.com<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>) and change the "home" page to dedicate the site to Ken. We are then looking for ways to keep the site "alive" for some time.</o:p>
    <FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>
    <FONT color=black><o:p><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>That's all the news for now. If you have questions, feel free to email me directly at <FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>hal@vatcher.com<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff>.</o:p>

<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><o:p>"Save the Wave"!</o:p></st1:place][COLOR=#0000ff></st1:place>

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks very much for posting this information, it is appreicated. . . . . . and may Ken rest now in peace

Bill B.
    President Abraham Lincoln as stated in the Gettysburg Address
    "From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain."
    "Defend Those That Defended Us"

Corvette Action Center Loses a Valued Member S-TEE's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2003 MY/Blk Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hal,

Thanks for putting the info up. It was good seeing you again, even in these circumstances.

It's incredible how much the Corvette world meant to Ken. He was the true representation of the term "gearhead". While helping to clean out his garage today, I was amazed at the level of organization in everything in there--from his toolbox to his workbench, everything had it's place. He had things dealing with cars and bikes of all kinds, posters, signs, pictures, you name it... ...if it had wheels, he had an interest in it.

I keep thinking how much I'm gonna miss him--he always seemed to be there, saving a spot for me. Whenever we would go out to Ruby's, his smiling face was almost always there to greet me. I guess it's really going to leave a void when summer rolls around and he's not there. At least his brother, Bill, sounds like he'd like to come on out with Ken's car and keep his memory alive...

Corvette(s)
    1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

With the upcoming Corvette Museum expansion, I wonder if a donation of his library should be seriously considered.

Corvette(s)
    before 60,63&82 now 90 383 Stroker & 91 ZR1-Sold
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by WhalePirot View Post
    With the upcoming Corvette Museum expansion, I wonder if a donation of his library should be seriously considered.
    100% YES
    ¨To be or to do? Which way will you go?" Col John Boyd

www.SPEED-KARTS.com
    www.racing-engineering.com

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It sure would be a nice tribute to Ken; and I think he would be honored.

Bill B.
    "From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain."

Corvette(s)
    62 Maroon, 03 Anniversary Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Ken "Gearhead" Stapel

S-TEE (Scott) was referring to he, Brad Chang, and I spending the day Saturday help Bill Stapel "sort out" Ken's garage area. At first it looked like an insurmountable task. Ken shared a 2 car garage with a neighbor. But the neighbor only had room for his car. The rest was occupied by Ken's "stuff".
    "Stuff" everywhere. Yet, once we got into it we saw how well organized Ken was. He had a system with a "home' for everything. Of course, first we had to figure out Ken's "system". We did and got things spread out and identifiable for Bill

We moved Ken's Corvette outside so we could have room to work. It did not start (low battery) but of course Ken had an industrial strength battery charger/starter so we put it on charge and went on with our work. Later in the day, Bill actually started the 'Vette (perhaps to the dismay of some neighbors who never did like the "sound"). Actually no issue with that yesterday, although one of neighbors on hearing Bill would keep the 'Vette said he would help get some mufflers on her! She is loud!

Ken had a personal computer in the garage area. On it we found a lot of pictures of various phases of Ken's life with cars, bikes, etc. We will attempt to capture these for a "photo collage" at the memorial on Saturday. If I can figure out how, I will post a few on here.

As Scott alluded to, Bill Stapel's current thought is to keep the 'Vette. Of course, he will want to try and get it more "streetable", thus, reliable so he can do the cruises. Plus he will need to get her more "presentable". Some of you know Ken was chasing down some electrical issue(s) when he took ill. He had the whole dash area wide open as well as the shifter console area. We had to "search" among the wires near the shifter to find the window switches! There will be an attempt to get her "packaged up" for presentation at the memorial. The car will be there no matter what!

I saw reference to Ken's collection of printed Corvette material. He did have a lot of books on 'Vettes. But he was not limited to 'Vettes. As Scott indicated, if it moved, with a motor, Ken was all over it. So, his "collection" goes way beyond Corvettes.

Ken has a 16 year old nephew who is a "budding gearhead", albeit with his first car being a BMW! Ken's nephew will get "first dibs" on all the stuff. He certainly wants the tools. He may want the books.

Beyond books, I brought home about 30 boxes of car magazines. I offered to sort them out for Bill and see if they had any value. Of course, anal Ken had them all in special magazine boxes, with indicators of what was in each box, so sorting it out will not be tough.

Like Scott, many of us will miss Ken this summer as the cruises start up (yes, even we So Cal people stay in for the winter!). Ruby's has lost it's "Corvette Anchor".

"Save the Wave".

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

We moved Ken's Corvette outside so we could have room to work.
    Sounds like a major task but a trip back in history to say the least. Got any pictures of Ken's Vette you can post?

Bill

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Hal View Post
    There will be an attempt to get her "packaged up" for presentation at the memorial. The car will be there no matter what!
    I mean no disrespect here but I think it should be kept the way it is for the memorial instead of anyone else trying to envision where Ken envisioned it going.

I think it should be left that way also because it will really show the spirit of the man who loved that car and worked on it until his health would not permit.

Maybe to some who aren't into cars, they won't understand what a car can mean to those who do like cars. But when they see how Ken fiddled with that car for years, they'll see a piece of him.

Corvette Action Center Loses a Valued Member S-TEE's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2003 MY/Blk Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    Sounds like a major task but a trip back in history to say the least. Got any pictures of Ken's Vette you can post?

Bill
    There was one in my post above... ...here's another....

Corvette(s)
    1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Ken has a 16 year old nephew who is a "budding gearhead", albeit with his first car being a BMW!
    I certainly understand that, as I consider my 7 a 5-seater Vette!
    Ken's nephew will get "first dibs" on all the stuff. He may want the books.
    Surely, and I never meant to interfere. I just suggested it as 1) some may not know of the museum's new expansion, 2) it would be a way for Ken to continue giving to the community, as he did so well and often, and 3) I knew nothing off Ken's family.

I hope to meet more off the SoCal Vette guys who knew Ken better than I did, as things warm up and as my beast gets fixed, after the 'professionals' screwed it up.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast