$projecthp
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REMO has passed

Corvette(s)
    2013 Cyber Grey Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I was doing some work at the church where I attend meetings this morning and was about to finish a break conversation with the Pastor, who had been away for the last month.

As we were wrapping up and I was about to leave her office, my cell rang. It was Six Shooter so I decided to take the call in the storage room where I had been working.

Dwayne was calling to let me know that Bob had made his Final Transition and that this link had been posted. To say I was stunned is no where near the overwhelming sense of loss I felt. Shooter and I had just had a long conversation about our hopes and prayers for Remo only a few days ago. Neither of us could talk long today.

I picked up my tools and started back to work when a feeling came over me that I could not have been in a warmer place to receive such terrible news.

I went back into Pastor Sallie’s office and told her the story of Remo, how I knew him, his wife Paula’s continuing Alzheimer’s journey, and his own falling dominoes from being a 24/7 caregiver for far longer than he should have.

I must be a good story teller because by the time I was finished, Sallie was laughing and crying as much as I was.

I asked her to pray for Bob, that if it be His will, our Higher Power would shorten Paula’s remaining journey. I also asked Sallie if she could throw in a good word or two for those of us sharing our pain at loosing a close friend.

There are several things I am grateful for today, but they are all outweighed by the compassion given by Sallie and the comfort of her prayer.

Sallie did not suggest this, but my guess is that Bob got the keys to a new Corvette convertible when he checked in at the Gates.

A few years ago when my father made his Final Transition as a result of Alzheimer’s, I posted The Train Ride. Not too long after watching my mother's last domino fall, from being his 24/7 caregiver, I posted it again.

Tonight, I feel compelled to post The Train Ride one more time. Not just as a tribute to my friend Remo and his wife Paula, but to those in this family who may be experiencing their own family ripple effects of this terrible disease.

Good by, Bob. Thank you for enriching my life.

Tom

THE TRAIN RIDE

Imagine that the experience of having Alzheimer's disease might be similar to a journey by train with an unknown destination:

I am going on a long journey by train. As I begin, the city skyscrapers and country landscape look familiar. As I continue my journey, the view reminds me of times gone by and I feel relaxed and comfortable. The other passengers on the train appear to be feeling the same way and I engage in pleasant conversation with them.

As the journey progresses, things begin to look different. The buildings have odd shapes and the trees don’t look quite the way I remember them. I know they are buildings and trees, but something about them is not quite right. Maybe I’m in a different country with different architecture and plant life. It feels a bit strange, even unnerving.

I decide to ask the other passengers about the strangeness. I feel, but more importantly, I notice they seem unperturbed. They are barely taking notice of the passing scenery. Maybe they have been here before. I ask some questions but nothing seems different to them. I wonder if my mind is playing tricks with me. I decide to act as if everything looks alright, but because it does not, I have to be on my guard. This places some tension on me, but I believe I can tolerate it for the remainder of the trip. I do, however find myself becoming so preoccupied with appearing all right, that my attention is diverted from the passing scenery.

After some time, I look out the window again and this time, I know that something is wrong! Everything looks strange and unfamiliar! There is no similarity to anything I can recall from the past. I must do something!

I talk to the other passengers about the strangeness I feel. They look dumfounded and when they answer and they talk in a new language. Why won’t they speak English? They just look at me knowingly and with sympathy.

I’ve got to get to the bottom of this, so I keep after them to tell me where the train is, and where it is going. The only answers I get are in their strange language and when I talk, my words seem strange, even to me.

Now I am truly frightened!

I had not bargained for this when I started! At this point, I figure that I have to get off this train and find my way home. I get up to leave and bid a pleasant good-bye. I don’t get very far though, as the other passengers stop me and take me back to my seat. It seems they want me to stay on the train whether I want to or not. I try to explain but they just talk in that strange language.

Outside the window, the scenery is getting even more frightening. Strange, inhuman-looking beings peer into the window at me. I decide to run for it!

The other passengers are not paying much attention to me, so I slip out of my seat and quietly walk toward the back of the car. There’s a door. It is difficult to push, but I must! It begins to open and I push harder. Maybe now I will get away!

Even though it looks pretty strange out there, I know I will never find my way home if I do not get off this train.

I am ready to jump, when hands suddenly appear from nowhere and grab me from behind. I try to get away. I try to fight them off, but I can feel them pulling me back... back onto the train. I hear the door shut! They take me back to my seat and I realize now that I will never get off this train... I will never get home!

How sad I feel. I did not say good-bye to my children, wife, or friends. As far as I know, they do not know where I am.

The passengers look worried. They force me to eat. It is difficult because I am too sad to be hungry.

I fervently wish that I had never started out on this journey, but I know I cannot go back.

I have no choice now.

I have to go along with the passengers because they seem to know where the journey will end.

Maybe they will get me there safely.

Dawson, P., Wells, D.L & Kline, K. (1993) Enhancing the Abilities of Persons with Alzheimer's and related Dementias. New York: Springer Publishing Co: pp xiv-xv
    There Is No Cure
    But There Is

Corvette(s)
    2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This is terrible news, and I'm very sorry to hear of Remo's passing.
    My father was a diabetic and I know only too well the problems associated with that disease.

Remo and Guy went out of their way more than once to stop by and say hello to me up a the Budweiser show in NH as well as a couple of local shows - two great guys.
    I heard he was sick but I didn't know how bad it was, or what he was suffering from, but as Diva already said, at least he's no longer suffering.

We've now lost two of the great people on this board the past couple of months.

Rest in peace Remo.

-JS
    Last edited by JJS; 05-01-13 at 09:56 PM.

Corvette(s)
    2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

To say I an floored would be an understatement. I hadn't seem him in a couple of years and didn't even know he had any health issues. I'll always remember him for his dry sense of humor and the many hours of his quick wit at Carlisle, the Cruisefests and his excursions down South as an honorary member of the Southern Contingent of the CAC. RIP Remo!
    Last edited by Bob Chadwick; 05-01-13 at 09:38 PM.

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I am sad to learn of Remo’s passing. It was a blessing that his son was able to be there with him, that was probably a great comfort to him. My condolences to his loved one’s. I can recall the first time I corresponded with Remo many years ago about driving Corvette’s in the snow! I always got a chuckle when I would see him promoting the superior performance capabilities of Quick Silver Corvette’s compared to any other color Corvette.

May he rest in peace.
    B17 Crew
    Last edited by B17Crew; 05-01-13 at 11:09 PM.

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

​RIP Remo...
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,

Corvette(s)
    1988 Bright Red Coupe and 2016 triple black vert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I will just echo what previous posters have said more eloquently that I can. I never met Remo or Jane Ann but I can't believe these two are gone now. I enjoyed their friendship and advise through CAC for many year. Makes me consider my own mortality. RIP Remo.

Ron
    "Baldie88"

Born on date May 31, 1988. This car did one lap of Indy in May 2006 for opening day ceremonies. Member St. Louis Corvette Club. NCM Member Number 518453.

Corvette(s)
    1981 UL5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It is another sad day here at the Corvette Action Center. The loss of ”Remo”, losing another Friend and Brother brings too much reality and sadness. Remo was one of the good guys and his sense of humor, at times was almost edgy but almost always right on the mark.

Thru the CruiseFests and here online Remo and I spent quality time discussing the twisted path’s we took and the places we traveled. Remo exemplified what Corvette ownership was all about and never took him self or situations seriously. Life was his marble game and he knew how to flick his marble to get the best results and highest score, even if it was not obvious to all around him.

To know Remo was to enjoy his humor and out look on life. Being around Remo and his buddy Guy will always remind me that life is meant to be fun, exciting worth every minute. Too my good friend Guy my deepest sympathy as well to Remo’s family and friends. God blessed us with his presence.

I will always remember Remo as the ”Distinguished Gentleman” he was and I will never forget that great sense of humor…. Remo will always be one of my ”Supreme Sisters!!”

Bud

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

To the top for folks that might have not been on the forum for a couple days.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    2005 Victory Red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just heard about Remo's passing this morning...and as many have mentioned he was a true gentleman in the true sense of the word. We will miss spending time with him at Carlisle each year, as well as his varied and sometimes spirited discussions.

I will always have fond memories of time spent with him, and Guy have a safe trip out to San Diego, with quicksilver. Remo will be right there with you in spirit, watching over you as the miles go by....

Corvette(s)
    1982 Collector Edition
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Oh noooo..

Words fail me. Remo was part of The Crew. I am sitting here, deleting, retyping, deleting again.. not sure what to say.

RIP my friend. And for all the help (and the ribbing). I will miss you Bob.

-Stefan

Guy: My condolences brother. PM me if you need an ear to talk.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

As anyone reads this thread, whether they knew Remo or not, they will obviously figure out Remo was one of the good guys. As has been said, insinuated and eluded too, he will be missed here at CAC as well as in person. I am thoroughly enjoying reading all the responses from those who knew Remo better than I.

Guy, make certain that Bob and you have a safe trip.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    2010 CRMT Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default It was a great day.

About 30 family members and I remembered Bob this morning. His son Brian spoke,
    the three closest nieces had one husband share thier thoughts which at tmes were quite comical.
    I was asked to speak so I spoke of past road trips, Bobs humor, the only mud hole Bob hit in Carlisles 84 acres, hitting the panic button on his key fob after seeing some woman sitting on the hood of Quicksilver, the Supremes (the nieces printed and posted that picture at the funeral home), etc.. I read aloud many of your posts. There was more laughter than tears.
    Brian followed the hearse in Quicksilver, then me in my Vette followed by everyone else.
    A short grave site service and it was over. On to a local restaurant for lunch and the entourage
    continued to one of the nieces house for more sharing, laughter and food. A sad day, but we really celebrated Bobs life.

Thank you all. Remo heard you today.
    Guy

2010 CRMT Grand Sport

Corvette(s)
    2015 Z06 Callaway White, 1967 Corvette RestoRod
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Sorry to hear of Remo's passing. May he rest in peace.

Roger

NCM Lifetime Member

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

Corvette(s)
    last seen on a flatbed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default former member

It has been close to 5 0r 6 years since I have posted here. My old name was nyernga from Georgia and had the distinct privilege of meeting and spending time with Remo at my first Carlisle event and a Tail of the Dragon run down here. I remember fondly a private conversation he and I had on the balcony of the motel one night at Carlisle and have always treasured the memory of it.

Simply put, he was as genuine as they get.

Rest in peace my friend. Save us al (well most of us) a good parking spot there.

Len Miller

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Remo was a big part of our Corvette family here and he always will be. I enjoyed his color conflicts with other members that owned cars of lesser color than Quicksilver. I fondly remember having dinner with him, Guy and several other CAC members at Ft. Wayne when they brought Quicksilver to Lingenfelters for a little warm over. It was a great evening and over way too soon.

I lost my best friend to diabetes about 10 years ago. We were the same age at the time. He had it from childhood too. There are way too many good people taken way too early.

Rest in Peace my friend.

Tom
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette 1981 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 L81 automatic Frost Beige

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast