$projecthp
  • Time to buy a lift!  Which one/what type?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    SeaLawyer

Grizzly,

Looks like they were updating the website as I was writing my first reply to your post...

For everyone else, Backyard Buddy's NEW auto rolling jack is here:

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/hjpsml.jpg

$1695 isn't TOO bad I suppose compared to some other ones I saw... Still seems like I can fabricate something pneumatic for far cheaper. I agree that it's a must have feature on the 4-post!

67Boomer

Pitching in my $0.02...I purchased a PerfectPark 7000 about a year ago from liftsunlimited.com
    I did quite a bit of research before buying, and this is the lift I felt offered the best construction for the cost (around $3,000).
    The materials and workmanship are outstanding. The lift is very well constructed and easy to assemble. All parts were neatly packaged for delivery. Although I use it mostly as a storage lift for my Corvettes, it also lifts by Suburban without hesitation.
    Good luck in your purchase!

SeaLawyer

Default Thanks for all your input!

I think I've settled on a lift! I've decided to go 4-post for reasons stated previously, and I'm probably gonna go with Autolifter's unless BackyardBuddy gives me a GREAT price...

Having researched this to death in the past few days, I think the design employed by BB and AL is the most sound from an engineering standpoint. BB claims to have had ZERO lift failures, and has an interesting video available for download on the comparison between the two main designs. AL's testing results, as well as their other safety comparisons/results (especially with the forklift ramming one of the posts) are also quite compelling. AL's is only $400 more than DirectLift's. However, I'm gonna go with the M6Plus so I can have the room underneath for my SUV. AL's list is $2795 (currently offering free freight). BB's price for their 10"+ version is $3395 +shipping. So unless BB is willing to cut me a sweet deal, looks like AL it is.

I'll post my results when I get this thing. Will probably be 6 months.

Corvette(s)
    1994 Black Rose Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hey JohnZ

What did you do with the floor !
    Looks smooth and shinny.
    How well is it holding up.

Time to buy a lift!  Which one/what type?
    Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Had a commercial floor outfit (Home Pro Floor Coatings, www.homeprofloors.com ) do it for me. I Laid 10-mil poly sheet and 1-1/2" thick high-density closed-cell foam panels with heavy foil on both sides down before pouring the floor to insulate it and provide an impervious barrier against moisture migration, let it cure for three months, then let Home Pro come and do their thing.

They steel shot-blast the concrete to open pores in the "skin" so the coating has something to grab onto, then they pour a coating of 2-part industrial epoxy resin that cures overnight. They come back the next day and pour the second coat, tinted in your choice of colors, with fine silica sand sprinkled in it for anti-slip when it's wet, drive on it 24 hours later. Warm, dry, and absolutely indestructible; dropped tools won't chip it, hot tires won't mark or lift it, and it's impervious to any automotive chemical (gas, oil, anti-freeze, brake fluid, etc.), and super-easy to keep clean. I paid $1.82/sq ft to have it done three years ago, and a friend just had his done by Home Pro last month for $1.95/sq ft. Best money I ever spent in a garage, still looks like the day they poured it three years ago.
    John
    '67 Convertible

Corvette(s)
    1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

John What an excellent garage.You may have heard I have been in the planning stage of one forever,between work and medical stuff I have not had the energy to pursue it .I have all my prints draw up its just a matter of filing them with the town .After spending an entire week end in my cramped,dirty,dingey,dark,cold in the winter,hot in the summer moist the rest of the time.Did I mention cramped yet ? garage I think I will definatly fill out the permit this week and get the ball rolling.Thanks for the picture it was inspiring.As my wife said the minute I got my 61/62 I would then be scrambling to get the garage up and complaining it took to long .

at the bottom link is a photo of my vette garage its empty now so I could work around the car and the lift is more center in the garage

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Now this picture is of my wifes garage every thing on the floor is out of the vette garage,all the shelfs and part on the floor you name it encluding the go cart and my 02 vette squeze in the other garage.

Corvette(s)
    1967 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 1992 White Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default A matter of size

One last comment. When my BB salesman questioned me about my other vehicles I found out that a standard pickup would fit, but and extended cab with and 8' bed was too long, so I got the over size model which gives 6' under the treads and 14'5" length.

Buy it big enough!

Corvette(s)
    1965 Rally Red Coupe w/sidepipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Be careful with the perfect park 7000. Since I'm considering a lift I read a few long threads on the CorvetteForum about a lift that failed. It had a '69 on top and a C5 on the bottom. It wasn't enough that this poor guy had to use tow trucks to remove damaged cars but on top of it he had BIG troubles with the manufacturer. It may be the least expensive but I'm staying away because it appears that they had some quality issues and there were multiple failures.

I'm leaning towards a bend-pak

Brian

Piet

I am looking at a Kwik Lift ... It does not go as high but is MUCH cheaper...

If I had the bucks... I might consider full lift, but don't need to go that high most of the time. So this gets me 80% of what I need for 30% of the cost... not bad

-Peter

Corvette(s)
    White 66 vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

IH2LOSE,
    You have a lot of stuff man!!! No wonder you need to build another garage... You guys now have me thinking about a lift for the garage... Dave..

Corvette(s)
    1965 Rally Red Coupe w/sidepipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'm in the beginning stages of building a garage with a gambrel roof and a bunch of ceiling joists removed for enough room to lift a full size car through the ceiling. I saw one of these lifts and decided not to roll around on a creeper any more. I've taken gas in the eyes, hot oil, grease to the face, and if something goes wrong you're trapped..... plus no more running from side to side to put it on jack stands!

I'm limited to 12' eave height and 17' overall height @ 638 square feet. I'll be able to lift a 60" tall car 60" in the air with room to spare.

I just need to get the stinking thing built and then I need a lift. Anyone have any feedback on the Bend-pak lift?

Bend-pak

Thanks,
    brian

Piet

Another lift I am curious about is the snap-on scissor lift... any comments?

(We should probably move to the Stables forum)

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by Piet
    Another lift I am curious about is the snap-on scissor lift... any comments?

(We should probably move to the Stables forum)
    I would not get this lift,What can you actually gain by it you can not work in the center of the car all it does is raise the car so the wheels can get off.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by youwish2bme
    IH2LOSE,
    You have a lot of stuff man!!! No wonder you need to build another garage... You guys now have me thinking about a lift for the garage... Dave..
    Yes alot of stuff another word comes to mind but I will not use profanity,

The goal of the new garage is to have it all to myself,no bikes,no go carts,no snowmobiles,no snowblowers,no scooters,NO NOTHING EXCEPT VETTE RELATED STUFF. Thank goodness I dont have a garage as johns because if I had a working enviroment as that one I may never leave the garage .

As for getting a lift I regret not getting it 10 years ago.Honestly I would not hesatate to HIGHLY recomend anyone who tinkers with cars to purchase one.

But remember they are dangerous,They can and will kill you,You must pay attention when lowering them.You must after moving your lift assure the cables are still in there pulleys.make sure lift is kept in adjustment.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast