$projecthp
  • Time to buy a lift!  Which one/what type?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I am only assuming that the cars are about like mine, about 47" tall...... With that being the case, you could get them both there with a 9' ceiling. The Pro-Park 8s stands about 84" at the highest point. The platform is about 6" thick. So 9' ceilings would give you a little room to spare. I can't speak for the BYB, as I don't remember the specs on it.

Corvette(s)
    bright red 1984 crossfire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

story of my life found out over the weekend that a saab dealership that just went out of business auctioned off all his equipment and a friend of mine got not 1 but 2 almost brand new 4 post lifts for less than 1 new one along with a ton of tools..... seems hardly anyone knew about this auction and the weather was bad the day of so he had hardly any competition..... why doesnt this ever happen to me

vetdaddy

From my past experience, two things to consider when buying a lift- the product and the installation. I bought my lift from a local equiplment company here in Orlando. I had problems with the hydraulic pump which led to a cable problem. My lift was "broken" and my car was stuck 5 feet up!!!!!. I gave the company a call, and they came out immediately to safely get my car down and replaced the pump and all the cables- all parts and service under warranty. If I had purchased my lift online, I would have been SOL. So........ I would purchase from a company that warrants both parts and service. When you purchase your lift, check proper leveling of the lift with a laser level (these are cheep now)- level the four lift corners to the floor (may need to use some type of shim if floor is not level), then level the ratcheting system if adjustable, then finally level the cabeling/platform system. Hope this helps.

Time to buy a lift!  Which one/what type? Dad's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    15Gray/8sp 72Blk/Blk4Spd 64Red/Red/Wht4spd
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

After all the effort put into choosing a lift how many of you do any maintenance on it? Shamefully I have to admit only doing that myself twice after 12 years and most likely many hundreds of lifts. The second time I changed the hydraulic fluid even though it’s a closed system it had its share of contaminates. New grease for the pulleys, check shafts for wear, and rechecked all bolts, nuts, and set screws. Even though it’s a stationary object they do work loose, not many but it only takes one in the right place to be a bad experience. Check the swaged ends and for any fretting on the cable itself.

Note the pulleys, as they tend to roll a sharp edge up on the exit of the cable. It is sharp and should be removed to keep it from cutting into the cable strands. Aside from cutting into cable it could catch a strand and cause it to ride up and out of the pulleys, hopefully not likely but I’ve always trimmed that sharp edge off.

It’s made by man and can have man made problems, stay safe.
    C6 has been great for over 10 years, I'll miss her... Still more fun driving the '64 and the '72.

Corvette(s)
    2015 Z06 Callaway White, 1967 Corvette RestoRod
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Today my Backyard Buddy Lift was installed. The people at BYB were very helpful when I gave them my measurements for the ceiling height and car height.
    There were no issues with missing or defective parts. Didn't need to use a sledge hammer to make things fit. Nice, tight and clean.

I will be putting the 54 Corvette on the top.

BigBud

Yeah, I finally pulled the trigger. Local guy that a friend recommended installed a ProPark 8S four post. Should have done it years ago. I looked at BYB but they didn't install in NJ, plus the price was much higher.
    I'm very happy with the lift they installed in a matter of hours.

We built the garage knowing we would install a lift. It has a 14' ceiling with a high lift garage door. Got the extra tall lift so I don't even have to duck.

Best of luck with yours!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

BigBud, we should have had a higher ceiling put in when we built this house a few years ago. Instead I had the garage door tracks modified to go above the ceiling to give more headroom.

We had to use a side load motor with more power to handle the increased weight caused by higher door travel.

NCM Lifetime Member

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

BigBud

I have the same thing, works great so far but when the weather's bad and panels freeze together the motors slip and won't open the door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Check out Challenger Lifts

Since youre looking for an automotive lift, Id recommend checking out Challenger Lifts. Above-ground automotive lifts are typically mounted or anchored to a concrete surface. Various styles of above-ground automotive lifts include two post, four post with runways, short rise and mid rise, scissor and moveable or mobile column.

Automotive Lifts - Automotive Lift - Challenger Lifts

Corvette(s)
    1977 Blue Coupe, 1990 Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You only need one drop to realize that a good lift is the only way to go.
    BYB is American made, not sure of the others, but I understand they
    use steel from China. Let's keep jobs here in America.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have been using my Backyard Buddy lift for a couple of months now. Excellent ease of operation, quite and a great locking system.
    No problems at all.
    I fabricated some 2x4's to have the 1959 Corvette stop where I want.

NCM Lifetime Member

Corvette(s)
    2000 Coupe Torch Red (my driver)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default BYB well worth the cost.

Yes the Backyard Buddy lifts are priced higher, but they are of the highest quality.

With a vehicle on the lift it is VERY stable.

Other lifts that I tested can be made to sway quite a bit, which is damn scary.

And those locks on the BYB at all four corners are second to none.

Well worth the extra money. I was so impressed, I purchased my second BYB 5-years afterthe first.

Custom heights are available. They will custom cut the incremental height notches if you require that.

And no, I don't work for nor do I even know anyone at BYB.

Corvette(s)
    Yellow 88 convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have a 7,000 lb four poster from Direct Lift. It fit my needs perfectly, was affordable, easy to assemble and is a nice stable lift.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Backyard Buddy lift, epoxy painted floor.

2012 Corvette Grand Sport on top, 1962 Corvette Restomod on the floor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1p1010405-jpg  

NCM Lifetime Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I bought an Eagle four post years back. It was a bit shakey all the way up and painted advertised as powder coated. They offered a cash rebate but I sent it back. For the price I didn't feel it was the quality I had anticipated. I bought another brand similar in construction for half the price. It works well but I am on the trail of a two post. My ceiling is 12'6", no worry there and concrete is 6+ inches thick.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast